I have a Marshall jcm 900 1960 lead seris 4x12 cab that has inputs for 4 and 16 ohms, and has a switch to go from mono to stereo. Also it has and 8 ohm label on both inputs. I have a Bugera 333 head that has a switch between 4, 8 and 16 ohms.

So here's my question....

How can I run my amp at 8 ohms (it sounds the best IMO) without blowing the transformer in my amp. Should I use another cab or just the one I have now?
I seriously doubt the human ear can detect any difference between 4, 8, and 16 ohms. Unless you are running stereo, just match your head to your cab and play. Never mismatch if you can avoid it...

Edit....especially a lower rated cab to head scenario.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 18, 2009,
i would run the amp and cab at 16 ohm mono man. 8 ohm vs. 16 ohm load has really no tonal diferences, its just a diference in power load for the cab.
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by ferbicus

How can I run my amp at 8 ohms (it sounds the best IMO)

Then run it at 8 on the amp into one side of the cab on stereo.

Sounds like you just like to looser low-end of a 2x12 in an oversized cab.
That's what you're doing: running only the left or right two speakers.

I usually run my rig like that unless I'm in a big room.

Just be SURE that the cab's on STEREO, otherwise you'll kill the OT, and look into some nice 2x12 boxes (Framus, Avatar, etc.).
you could still run your amp and cab in 8ohm, but would have to set your swtich on the cab to stereo, and you would only be pushing 2 of the 12" speakers in the cab
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA