i understand why alternative picking is beneficial to a certain a certain degree but one thing still puzzles me-
does it not make more sense to just pick downward when moving to a lower string regardless of what your last motion was just to keep the distance your hand travels to a minimum?? i just read in a lesson that it gives a more aggressive sound to keep the up down motion even when you're changing strings, why is this?
Economy picking is more efficient but gives a smoother sound. And it's easier to accent notes while alternate picking.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
i think it'd be better to just put more strength into it rather than going from point A to C to B though, i am right?
I keep better time when alternate picking technical riffs, but sometimes you just gotta hit the note however it works. I guess my vote is personal preferance....
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
i find that alternate picking some riffs like pain killer by judas priest or battle against time by wintersun, is much easier than economy picking, its less stressfull on my hand and i can go faster etc just overall better results. also you get a more solid note out of alternate picking than economy picking i think. alternate is extremely important and useful. paul gilbert taught me that and it hasnt let me down yet! paul glberts intense rock is great and is very beneficial to follow. way back when i first got it and only did the first few excercises on it they helped me immensely and they were basically all alternate picking. there is a run in there that paul states is one of the very first things he could play fast, and now its mine too because of that dvd. he has perfect technique. i wouldnt doubt anything he says or does with a guitar haha
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
alternate keeps the rhythm... up, down, up, down, up, down.
economy breaks that rhythm, and though it sounds smoother it doesn't sound as agressive.
its really just a sound preference. both have their advantages, learn them both and be able to use both when you want
Quote by Junior#1
Economy picking is more efficient but gives a smoother sound. And it's easier to accent notes while alternate picking.

Alternate pickers say this so often. It's not something I have experienced myself. Picking dynamics is something that needs to be practiced; the "smoother" sound is because of accents not because two of the same strokes in a row instantly sound smoother it's because when people play two of the same strokes in a row they often just lay their pick flatter like you would as you sweep pick.
If you can't accent as well with economy picking as you can with pure alternate picking it's because you either haven't practiced accenting as much with economy picking or you don't want to accent it like that.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
because when you alt pick...i mean alt pick properly (i find it hard to ick down and can only do economic picking on slow songs) you just pick up and down and move from string to string withouth needing to think a lot about your picking
Quote by '93
because when you alt pick...i mean alt pick properly (i find it hard to ick down and can only do economic picking on slow songs) you just pick up and down and move from string to string withouth needing to think a lot about your picking

I primarily alternate pick, so I agree about not having to think about it, but it probably comes down to what you are used to. If you are used to economy picking, it's probably annoying to have to think about alternate picking. For me, I can alternate pick on automatic, but I'm sure people who are used to economy picking are the same way with economy.
If you can't accent as well with economy picking as you can with pure alternate picking it's because you either haven't practiced accenting as much with economy picking or you don't want to accent it like that.

While there's obviously lots of room for accents within an eco pickers range, I think it's fair to say that it's very difficult to accent distinctly the first or second (n.b - not both) notes of a eco stroke - as with the first one would have to dig in, accelerate and then decelerate very subtly while preserving momentum and velocity... which is imho, quite difficult. The latter isn't as tricky depending on what occurs after that but I still think it's harder than accenting a "single" pickstroke.

Secondly, an alternate picker can usually line up their downstrokes with the typical strong beats of a 4/4 measure, which imparts a much more natural rhythmic feel.

Thirdly, I would be fairly confident of saying that accents are a systematic rather than individual problem based on a discussion with Martin Goulding I had - having spent around 20 years economy picking and working on accenting throughout, he was never happy with his sound until switching to strict alternate. I think that would suggest (although obviously not prove) that getting an aggressive metal sound out of eco picking is certainly harder than alternate.

Fourth, and this is probably the most important thing, imho - "economy picking" ONE (one) pickstroke different from "alternate" picking. Viewing them as separate, independent systems I honestly don't think is sensible - they have more in common than different. There are sounds and strengths that are only really available when using one system or the other - but it's not particularly difficult to develop basic facility with both before making judgments.