No not the usual nervousness about messing up, or what our set should be.

I'm worried that out of our 7 or so songs, our bassists know ZERO in full. And only knows bits and pieces of about 3 of the songs (and not even to perfection).

Our show is in approximately a month from now. The band is only vocals, drums, guitar, bass. So it sounds just a little lacking without bass.

The thing is our songs are very easy. Couple of open notes, few power chords, that's it. Nothing more difficult then say, enter sandman.

I've been getting at her for 2 MONTHS to learn this one song, the easiest song we play. It's a cover. And she still hasn't learned it in full.

20 minutes a day would work wonders, but our bassist still isn't doing the part.

So UG members, what is my band to do? We don't know any other bassist, so we have to kind of scramble to if we do seek a replacement for the show. Any other ideas on how to get my bassist to work? We've talked to her multiple times and still nothing.
In the future, don't book a gig if your band can't play the music.

Now for a beginner, a song like Enter Sandman could be considered quite complex to learn, let alone get together as an inexperienced band.

I would advise that you either cancel the show, or sit down personally with the bassist to walk her through the songs she doesn't know.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Tip... Never rely on girls to actually play an instrument!
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
Haha good tip :]

To Alan, we've been around as a band for months now. The drummer, me, and vocalist are perfectly fine and sound pretty good and are ready to go.

She's not a beginner bassist though, she's decent at bass. `

I've also offered to make tabs of the guitar so she has something to go on, make videos, etc. And it's like she doesn't seem interested when I offer these things. I always get the same response of "ehhh idk" or something like that.
Quote by Supafly1824
Haha good tip :]

To Alan, we've been around as a band for months now. The drummer, me, and vocalist are perfectly fine and sound pretty good and are ready to go.

She's not a beginner bassist though, she's decent at bass. `

I've also offered to make tabs of the guitar so she has something to go on, make videos, etc. And it's like she doesn't seem interested when I offer these things. I always get the same response of "ehhh idk" or something like that.

If one member of your band cannot play the music, then band is not able to play the music. Cancel the show.
You guys are 2 months into it and everyone is ready to gig except one member? And that one member isn't even attempting to pull her own weight... I would have fired her a long time ago. Seriously, someone like that is just going to hold you back and if your band is truly ready to perform sans her, you need to find someone who can commit and stay on pace with you. Or you could sit her down and explain to her the situation and if she shrugs it off for whatever reason then you'll know. But really... if she's being a pain in the first two months before the first gig, it's not a very good sign for her as a bassist long term. Clean up the scar before it becomes infected.
Ahhh it would suck to cancel :/.

How bad would we sound live without a bassist? We play in a metalcore (or whatever core you'd like to calll it type band...(think a day to remember, evergreen terrace, devil wears prada, etc).

And any other choices besides cancelling? What if we were to get a bassist to fill in over the next few days, is that an option we should explore or no?

I also fear this might be a permanent problem with our current bassist, so a new bassist might be in order.
Get rid of her and find someone to fill in, if not take over. Even if you can get a guitarist friend to borrow a bass and play it for the show, do it. It'd be better than canceling.
Quote by Supafly1824

She's not a beginner bassist though, she's decent at bass.

Your "band" is a group of people, not individual members. Your "band" is not ready to play the show.

Your bassist is not learning her parts, and this should have become obvious a lot earlier, like 2nd/3rd practice.
Soundcloud
agree with Al...

when she says "eh, idk..." you grow a pair and either tell her "well I DO know..." (1) hold her hand like a fvcking child and walk her through the songs step by step constantly until she's got her shit down, or (2) tell her she's out due to incompetence... then put it in her butt (if she's cute).
Quote by GrisKy
agree with Al...

when she says "eh, idk..." you grow a pair and either tell her "well I DO know..." (1) hold her hand like a fvcking child and walk her through the songs step by step constantly until she's got her shit down, or (2) tell her she's out due to incompetence... then put it in her butt (if she's cute).

Lmfao, I agree.
About the putting it in her butt thing...
ahhg grisky. you dog!

Buddy a band is only as strong as its weakest member. seriously.
You'll sound really thin without a bassist holding down the low end. Get someone good to fill in or cancel the show
i say give her one week to improve on the ultimatum if she doesnt she's out
if shes not improved by then kick her out and cancel the gig if possible try and find a replacement band that could fill in for you
where are you i could fill in for you ahah
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Why did you book a gig without everybody knowing 100% of what they should?
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
I kind of sounds like to me that you holding the fact that you have a girl in your band up too high on a pedestal, and thus, don't want to get rid of her because you feel it makes your band "special" in some way.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by soundgarden19
Why did you book a gig without everybody knowing 100% of what they should?
Because that simply isn't necessary.

I've booked gigs with new bands where we didn't even know half the material.
But it was completely reasonable to estimate from our current rate of progress that the rest could be learned and polished, in the remaining time.

Some of the BEST shows I've done were the result of a complete stretched-to-the-limit time frame. We all had to bust our balls to make it happen. But our energy level was so fucking high, the room could barely contain us.

You don't need to have 100% to book a gig.
You just need to know it's possible to get there.
And you need to know your band is willing to do what's necessary.

Quote by Supafly1824
I've been getting at her for 2 MONTHS...
You've already wasted too much time.

Quote by Supafly1824
20 minutes a day would work wonders, but our bassist still isn't doing the part.
She's proven herself, then. Dump her. You won't change ingrained habits.

Quote by Supafly1824
We don't know any other bassist, so we have to kind of scramble to if we do seek a replacement for the show.
Then scramble.

Find someone, and find them fast. Else cancel the gig.

Btw, if your songs are simple, you could recruit a keyboard player, just for this gig.
Their main focus would be to cover the bottom end.
Since you only have 7 songs, this should be easy enough to learn.
Maybe not the best option, but better than a bassist who won't learn the songs and better than no bottom end at all.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I kind of sounds like to me that you holding the fact that you have a girl in your band up too high on a pedestal, and thus, don't want to get rid of her because you feel it makes your band "special" in some way.

Well they're definately "special".

Because this band is playing mostly original songs, it would be hard to find a new bassist to replace her, learn the songs and get tight in a month. At this point as your bassist has familiarity with the songs (well I hope she does) she is your only chance for gettting them tight.

And as this chance is a lazy girl who couldn't be bothered, I'd cancel the show.
Soundcloud
Start looking for a replacement.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
I'd start looking for a replacement, it shouldn't be that hard if your songs are so easy to play. I once filled in bass for a band that had a gig in two weeks after kicking out their old bassist and I had all eight or nine (can't entirely remember) songs down in one day because they were easy squeazy. The gig went well, they got a new bassist after that.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by Sleaze Disease

This is ridiculous. So many great bands have female members (for some reason, most of them are bassists, too). I don't see how it could possibly be "special" or unique in any way.
Quote by toyboxmonster
This is ridiculous. So many great bands have female members (for some reason, most of them are bassists, too). I don't see how it could possibly be "special" or unique in any way.

I never said it was special or unique; quite the opposite, actually.
Read what I said.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I never said it was special or unique; quite the opposite, actually.
Read what I said.

Read what you said.
Read it again.
My reply still makes sense.

I'm saying that it's ridiculous that you think that he would feel that way, not that you feel that way.
just do the gig without a bass player. it works if you're a good guitar player.
no way
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Because that simply isn't necessary.

I've booked gigs with new bands where we didn't even know half the material.
But it was completely reasonable to estimate from our current rate of progress that the rest could be learned and polished, in the remaining time.

Some of the BEST shows I've done were the result of a complete stretched-to-the-limit time frame. We all had to bust our balls to make it happen. But our energy level was so fucking high, the room could barely contain us.

You don't need to have 100% to book a gig.
You just need to know it's possible to get there.
And you need to know your band is willing to do what's necessary.

You need to know your parts if you want to play a gig, unless of course it's a purely improv show, which are really fun. I don't know if that's the case for the OP's band, but if the bass player doesn't even have the basic structure to ALL the songs that they will try and do live, none of the songs will sond great.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Make it clear to her that if she wont pull her weight there is no reason for her to be in the band and that you'd rather struggle for a while to find a bassist that'll commit than be stuck with a bassist who wont even try.

Its not personal, its common sense.
sit down with her and literally stay till she learns them.
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by soundgarden19
You need to know your parts if you want to play a gig, unless of course it's a purely improv show, which are really fun. I don't know if that's the case for the OP's band, but if the bass player doesn't even have the basic structure to ALL the songs that they will try and do live, none of the songs will sond great.
Read what I posted and understand it.

TS's mistake was NOT that he booked a gig before his band knew the material 100%.

HIS mistake was booking the gig, without knowing it was likely to get to 100% before the gig date.

Can you see the difference?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Read what I posted and understand it.

TS's mistake was NOT that he booked a gig before his band knew the material 100%.

HIS mistake was booking the gig, without knowing it was likely to get to 100% before the gig date.

Can you see the difference?

It really depends on the type of gig you're having, and whether it is intended to be serious or not. I can always grab a few buddies together and put on a show for a house party or something - that's easy. Just give the basic chord structures and people can do it.

However I would never do this for a professional show. Whilst you can argue that you can pull off a show through a loose approach as I've described above, it will never sound as good as a band who are familiar with the songs and playing with eachother. In a "real" band, I get a set down, and then book the gigs. You should play the songs until you are bored of them and you can do them blindfolded.

To book a gig without knowing whether your band will be ready or not on the day is seriously asking for trouble.
Soundcloud
Get a new bassist for sure. I joined my band about 5 days before the first gig, and it went fine.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Am I the only one who thinks it's important to know what the TS means by "show"?

For all we know, his "show" could be playing at his grandma's tea party. Or a highschool battle of the bands.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Am I the only one who thinks it's important to know what the TS means by "show"?

For all we know, his "show" could be playing at his grandma's tea party. Or a highschool battle of the bands.

A good band, in my opinion should treat Grandma's tea party the same way as a legit show people are paying serious pennies to see.
Quote by ChrisBG
A good band, in my opinion should treat Grandma's tea party the same way as a legit show people are paying serious pennies to see.

Really? Gigs at house parties of friends are not gigs to me, and that would include "Grandma's Tea Party". I usually end up completely wasted, give my guitar to someone more sober than me, grab the mic and improvise songs about randoms in the room. That is definately not something I would do at a real gig.
Soundcloud