Hey, Just wondering what the reasoning to flipping your cab sideways during live shows is? I can't find examples off the top of my head but, has anyone seen this before? I've seen examples from bands like Fugazi, At the drive-in, and Outbreak. If anyone can help that'd be awesome!

(Hopefully this isn't some topic somewhere else, I looked though.)
I have seen local bands do this. I think it is just for a bit more stabability when the head and cab are of two different brands. Not sure how to explain it but you know how sometimes the little bumpers/stands on the bottom of your head dont line up with your cab?

I dont know could possible just be me.
This space has been intentionally left blank.
Ok yeah That does make sense when putting two different brands together. I thought maybe it had to do with the sound quality or something. Would it have better bass response that way?
Low budget venues might have 2 slant cabs and no way to stack them top to bottom...just a guess
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Yes, that's right. If a cab has casters, putting it sideways gives it a lot more contact with the floor so that the lower frequencies resonate better and give more bass.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by guitaruboy
points the speakers in the right direction?
umm...oh! gets it off the casters for better bass response!

dont think thats why..
Quote by foxhold
Ok yeah That does make sense when putting two different brands together. I thought maybe it had to do with the sound quality or something. Would it have better bass response that way?

yes because the vibrations n stuff are in direct contact to the floor instead of going throught metal and plastic of the casters

i'm pretty sure anyway...
Quote by guitaruboy
yes because the vibrations n stuff are in direct contact to the floor instead of going throught metal and plastic of the casters

i'm pretty sure anyway...

Sounds legit to me. That puts an end to my quest. Thanks for the help man!
Plus if you knock a cab that has castors that don't brake it'll go rolling around, if it's on it's side it wont move as much.
This is why I took the casters off of my 1960AV
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I have only ever seen them do it with angled cabs....I am assuming so the angled speakers are pointing at the audience and not the sky....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Gu1tar_guy1010
dont think thats why..

That IS why they do it. Sound resonates better through the floor which gives a bigger bass response (sounds louder and "bigger" too) than the sound resonating through the casters and then the floor.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
my guess is that if its an angled cab, its going to be so that rather than pointing the top speakers to the ceiling, it'll point to the crowd at that angle.

EDIT: just like brendan said.. xD
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
unmic'd bands will often do this for horizontal projection, but its purpose is defeated once you introduce a PA. That said, it also provides for greater low end resonance AND keeps your cab from rolling off an uneven surface (shabby stage). also, this is not ONLY done to angled cabs, but 9 times out of 10 when you go see a show the guitarist has a halfstack, not a full, and the vast majority of halfstacks use an angled cab, so you SEE that more often. make sense?
Quote by guitaruboy
umm...oh! gets it off the casters for better bass response!

Of course there is an exception to every rule, and some guys probably do it to prevent alien abductions but I think this is the most logical, and common reason.

Edit: Grisky has some of the other reasons covered.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Nov 18, 2009,
because they want to be different
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
So the sound will hit the crowd head on instead of face full of bass and treble over their heads.
Quote by Slay 'Em
So the sound will hit the crowd head on instead of face full of bass and treble over their heads.

there's the slightest bit of truth to that, as straight on speakers are projected directly into the crowd as opposed to long bass wave lengths reflecting and disipating off ceilings where only abnormally tall people (Yao... that's pretty much it) stand even a chance of hearing them, but that has more to do with killing bad room acoustics and natural reverb (like if you were playing in a long narrow rectangular hall).

this seems like a good place to remind people how important it is to mic up and run through a PA... sooo many problems can be easily defeated or avoided all together.
Quote by GrisKy
this seems like a good place to remind people how important it is to mic up and run through a PA... sooo many problems can be easily defeated or avoided all together.

Noted... That said, I'm curious; wouldn't flipping a 4x12 like that hurt its effectiveness as a monitor? The one thing I like about slant 4x12s over 2x12s is the slant speakers make it much easier to hear.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I do it so it won't roll around, and I can stick my car keys and ciggies in the handle recess.

I've usually got a plexi-wall and a mic in front of mine, so the bass thing don't matter.
On a related note, our bassist actually put locking casters ON his bottom cab, to prevent too much stage vibration.
Kept setting off my reverb unit!
About the bass response thing though... i think it kills the tone coming out the cabinet, ive always thought cabs sounded better when elevated, if they arent then all of the vibrations just go into the ground and you cant hear the full range of the cabinet.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Quote by schtick_bomb
About the bass response thing though... i think it kills the tone coming out the cabinet, ive always thought cabs sounded better when elevated, if they arent then all of the vibrations just go into the ground and you cant hear the full range of the cabinet.

If you elevate it too much however, the soundwaves will simply go over your head. At least if you have solid contact with the floor you can use the floor as an amplifier (effectively).
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
The casters are taken off all my 4x12's. I hate the sound of cabs with them on.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by tubetime86
Noted... That said, I'm curious; wouldn't flipping a 4x12 like that hurt its effectiveness as a monitor? The one thing I like about slant 4x12s over 2x12s is the slant speakers make it much easier to hear.

yes, but two things, (1) it's still loud, and (2) it's not a "monitor." give it a try, see if it'll work for you. if not, might be worth looking into a dedicated monitor.

as far as it killing the tone, that's not really the case, but you are getting a slightly different response. give it a try and see if it'll work for you. if not, flip it back over and maybe look into a floated cab stand.
I turn my 2X12 on its side just so I don't have to bend over as far to tweak the amp when I'm on stage
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Rutch
I do it so it won't roll around, and I can stick my car keys and ciggies in the handle recess.

This.

Putting the cab on the ground isn't going to make that big of a difference in bass response...especially in a live setting. Its just not going to be that noticable. On my bass rig, I always flip the top cab because the casters don't sit right on the bottom cab.