I have been playing for about 10 months, but I only very recently (Like, a week ago) started training my ear. I have always been able to tell the sounds of major and minor open pisition chords, but just last week I managed to figure out that soft melody in Suicide And Redemption by ear 90% correctly. I used a little bit of theory (I know how much Kirk uses the minor pentatonic) but mainly my ear.

If I do 10-15 minutes a day of trying to figure stuff out, how long will it take before I am able to tab a full song by ear? I don't mean something like a few major chords, but stuff on Metallicas first few albums, and Iron Maiden songs.

Also, do you have any suggestons for rock/metal songs to attempt to tab?
Quote by stephen_rettie
exactly 3 months and 5 days.

This ^

Seriously though, there is no certain amount of time.

It all depends on how much effort you put into it.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by stephen_rettie
exactly 3 months and 5 days.

any sooner and you're a prodigy, any later and you should stop playing altogether. Best of luck!
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
I can't learn by ear, but here's my two cents: learn to play your own music first. That is, learn to map out those melodies in your head. Become the kinda guy who can write out a new riff on a dinner napkin.

When you can do that, learning a new song by ear is as simple as humming the tune. More or less.

Personally, as I continue to learn and grow as a guitarist (and likewise learn to play what's in my head), it's much, much easier to "figure out" other pieces of music. In the midst of playing scales and random improv, I'll sometimes pick up on a key riff or melody and go on to work out a decent chunk of it.

It might not be the quickest way, but at least for me, it's the most valuable. It's a twofold benefit.
Quote by wesselbindt
Learning music by ear is usually used as a tool to learn this.

In the end, they're related and either route will likely bring you to the same end; that is, being able to do both relatively well.

I leave it to preference.
i will buy you a new car if you can figure out the chorus to Nevermore - Poison Godmachine. theres these 6 notes i cant get! ive slowed it down on my micro br and have done what i could to hear it as clearly as possible, but i just cannot make out those damn notes!

youll see results quicker if you spend more than 10-15 min a day on this. im no expert at figuring out stuff by ear, but i can suggest a few guidelines. when you choose a song, try and figure out what tuning that band usually plays in. in the 80s, metallica was in standard for i think everything. youll hear them in Em a lot, Am some, and many riffs are in F#. just get used to hearing how they use those chords. listen to how they swtich between E and F#.

killswitch engage is another fairly easy one. they are 99.9999% in Drop C. notice how quickly they switch in between power chords. 90% of the time, a song quickly switching between chords means that it is in Drop C or B or D or whatever.

if you hear some clean picking arpeggiated chord, listen closely to what notes are done on open strings. listen hard and you can tell the difference between those and fretted notes. also take note of any natural harmonics. i found a tab for a new creed song on here called "time". at first, i didnt know how the motherfker figured it out that its in B-E-B-E-G-B, but there's a section with some natural harmonics that makes at least the top 3 strings a dead giveaway.

there's bands like symphony X who switch keys more often than i can blink. i THINK they use standard a lot but its so hard to tell, at least for me! opeth too, though they might actually be easier than i think as ive never tried to sit down and figure out any stuff of theirs.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Not long at all, in fact you can probably do it now - the issue is simply with how difficult you'll find it.

It's not something you ever learn to "do" because it's not finite...it's ongoing. You simply get better at it the more you do it, start with simple stuff and when feel you're getting a handle on things try tomething a bit more complex and see how you get on.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks for the replies.
Is it normal to have a lot of trial and error when you first start? It took me a while just to figure out what part of the fretboard that melody was in, let along the notes in it. It was so frustrating.
Quote by GoldfishMoon
Thanks for the replies.
Is it normal to have a lot of trial and error when you first start? It took me a while just to figure out what part of the fretboard that melody was in, let along the notes in it. It was so frustrating.

Absolutely, just like learning the alphabet or your times table was when you were 3.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com