Poll: Should Polygamy Be Legal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should Polygamy Be Legal?
Yes
90 52%
No
84 48%
Voters: 174.
Page 1 of 3
This is sort of an issue I'm on the fence about. Usually I'm all for human rights and consider myself a civil libertarian, but I haven't really heard all the opposing sides arguments for this. I suppose it's fine and dandy as long as it's between consenting adults. But I'd like to hear other people's opinions before I define my position.

Anyways, I started thinking about it because during Gay Rights arguments, people always bring up shit like "We legalize gay marriage and what's next? Polygamy? Incest? Men and boys? Men and goats?"

By the way, I believe Polygamy is illegal in all states here in the U.S. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wait for the poll.

Also, please put why you think yes or no...
Last edited by The Madcap at Nov 18, 2009,
no it should not
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Nov 18, 2009,
Yes.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
oh wait... shit.. I put in the wrong answer... well for the record I meant to vote NO.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by TheReverend724
You're forgetting Ruto
Eh, no I'm not....Well.....I dunno. I'm gonna have to think about whether or not I'd hit that.....
well if you can get another wife and your first one is fine with it and you're keen i dont see how it affects anyone but the people involved.
similar to gay marraige, if it doesnt directly effect you quit whining.
Quote by The Madcap
Eh, no I'm not....Well.....I dunno. I'm gonna have to think about whether or not I'd hit that.....

She'd totally want it, she was always all up on Link's nuts

and OT, I voted no
it shud be legal cos i hav 2 many hot chicks tryin 2 get wif me.

One's enough.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
That's farther off from happening than gay marriage (speaking of, SCOTUS is gonna hear Prop. 8). I can't say I have anything in particular against it though.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
That's farther off from happening than gay marriage (speaking of, SCOTUS is gonna hear Prop. 8). I can't say I have anything in particular against it though.

Same here.

IMO, if it's between consenting adults then there's no reason it shouldn't be allowed.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
i dont think our society can handle that about now, we can barely handle monogamy as it is, then again, thered practically be no such thing as cheating... things would change too much lol
A man should NOT be allowed to have more than one wife unless he's been sterilized.

Anyone that stupid should not be allowed to procreate.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
meh..if everyone consents I suppose so, doesn't really bother me

Coincidentally, one of my classmates is writing an argumentative essay on why it should be legal.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by TheReverend724
You're forgetting Ruto

Ew. Why would he want to screw the fish lady? That's double the smell of fish.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Quote by PhillyHendrix
Ew. Why would he want to screw the fish lady? That's double the smell of fish.
I'll be in a seabank of fishy twatmist.
Not sure why any man in his right mind wants more than one wife. I can imagine that would get pretty annoying.

But I don't see a reason for it to be illegal. If a man wants several wives, and they all are ok with it, I don't see why it is a problem. Or if a woman wants several husbands.
Quote by daytripper75

But I don't see a reason for it to be illegal. If a man wants several wives, and they all are ok with it, I don't see why it is a problem. Or if a woman wants several husbands.

I wondered how long it would take for that to come up...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

so if it doesnt harm anybody then it should be legal?

absolutely not, where does it stop?
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
There was an economic reason on why polygamy isn't efficient. I forgot though...

edit:
Here it is:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/16/business/16scene.html

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Nov 18, 2009,
As long as all parties involved are happy with it, then why not?

I don't see whats wrong with just swinging though.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
so if it doesnt harm anybody then it should be legal?

absolutely not, where does it stop?

Um, how about as soon as it harms somebody? Seems pretty clear to me.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

man need wimin for cooking clean and sex therefore men need more then 1 wife, thank you.
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
I dont see why not. I dont think one person can completely satisfy the mind of another.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

While I don't agree with the concept of polygamy, I don't believe that the government should have the right to determine who gets married, much in the same way that gay marriage should be legalized.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Of course not.

For those of you equating polygamy to gay marriage, there is an extremely important difference: gay marriage hurts no one, while polygamy most certainly does.

Just look at modern groups that practice polygamy (fundamentalist Mormons are the most obvious). In these groups, it's the older males with standing in the community and resources at their disposal who take several younger and younger wives. To keep this imbalance possible, these groups drive out most of the young male children as they reach puberty. Substantial numbers if around 14-16 year old boys are driven out to give the older males less competition for the young girls, and to keep them from banding together and creating trouble. These boys are often forced out into the world with no resources, little or no formal schooling, and no idea how to function in wider society.

That in itself is a huge problem with polygamy, but just imagine if it became more widespread. These young boys would have nowhere to be driven to, which would basically result in two possible outcomes. Most obviously, they could be killed, which is definitely not a justifiable outcome. Other than that, they could be allowed to live, but then these adolescents would likely form gangs to rape, pillage, steal, and whatnot. Including such an unstable element would make polygamist societies basically impossible, since there would probably be enough of these boys to eventually instigate a revolution of some sort, in which the best case scenario would be the banning of polygamy. More probably, they would turn the status quo on its head and take the women for themselves, only further plunging the society into chaos.

The reason why polygamy was (and still is, in rare cases) viable in some primitive societies is that those had high male mortality rates. Often, they were part of warring tribes in which many of the males would fight and die, or hunter-gatherer societies where the males did the majority of the dangerous hunting and consequently were more likely to be killed. This created a population imbalance between male and female, allowing the men to take multiple wives without creating any sort of outcast group. In modern western society, the population ratio is very close to 50/50, thus making polygamy unsustainable.
kill all humans
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Of course not.

For those of you equating polygamy to gay marriage, there is an extremely important difference: gay marriage hurts no one, while polygamy most certainly does.

Just look at modern groups that practice polygamy (fundamentalist Mormons are the most obvious). In these groups, it's the older males with standing in the community and resources at their disposal who take several younger and younger wives.

no one is talking about mormans, we're talking about consensual polygamy.
Quote by stephen_rettie
no one is talking about mormans, we're talking about consensual polygamy.
Exactly. Consensual polygamy has many victims, that's my whole point. I merely pointed to fundamentalist Mormons as an example of a group who practices consensual polygamy to illustrate its numerous drawbacks. Try reading
kill all humans
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Exactly. Consensual polygamy has many victims, that's my whole point. I merely pointed to fundamentalist Mormons as an example of a group who practices consensual polygamy to illustrate its numerous drawbacks. Try reading

try summarising, what the hell are you talking about are you saying if polygamy is legalised all the old men are gonna be able to woo all the young women into marrying them and murder all the children?

Edit: your under them impression people dont polygamise simply because its illegal, very few groups of people can share the same man/woman and still maintain a relationship they want to be part of.
you basically said the only thing keeping some sort of apocalyptic war of old vs young from happening is the law against polygamy.

Edit2: you just described mormans using consensual polygamy and then said old men take all the young girls. very few old men can consensually pull a young women.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by stephen_rettie
try summarising, what the hell are you talking about are you saying if polygamy is legalised all the old men are gonna be able to woo all the young women into marrying them and murder all the children?
I can barely understand what you're attempting to say from your poor grammar and lack of punctuation. Are you too lazy to read a few short paragraphs? I'm pretty sure I laid out my argument in a very understandable way.
Edit: your under them impression people dont polygamise simply because its illegal, very few groups of people can share the same man/woman and still maintain a relationship they want to be part of.
you basically said the only thing keeping some sort of apocalyptic war of old vs young from happening is the law against polygamy.

I don't think "polygamise" is a word, and I can't really understand your first sentence here. And again, you're not really reading my argument, or if you are you're grossly oversimplifying and skewing it. I merely argued that legalization and greater societal acceptance of polygamy would lead to a dispossessed lower class of young males, creating imbalance in society. Imagine thousands of Pits' worth of fappers, only these ones know that there's an extremely good chance they'll never get sexytime, ever. You can't just expect them to sit there and accept it.
Edit2: you just described mormans using consensual polygamy and then said old men take all the young girls. very few old men can consensually pull a young women.
Again, gross oversimplification and twisting of my words. I stated that older men with more pull in society and more money would be more desirable to women. Consider the number of girls who would want to marry you vs. the number of girls who would want to marry George Clooney, and keep in mind not only physical attractiveness, but income, genes, standing in society, and the multitudes of other things women look for in a mate. There's a reason why certain men tend to get all the girls.
kill all humans
Edit:^ right on. I saw a program once on fundamentalist towns and how many of the young men ARE forced to leave because the older, more powerful men get all the women.

Oh the fun time I'd have cruising my way through tax loopholes if I could just get a bunch of girls to scheme with me.

Also, polygamy is only 'consensual' when one or more parties have been brainwashed into thinking it's good.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
Last edited by StewieSwan at Nov 18, 2009,
'I merely argued that legalization and greater societal acceptance of polygamy would lead to a dispossessed lower class of young males,'

This is what makes no sense, please explain how these older men will become incredibly attractive to the younger women and steal them all away.

Edit: Have you been in some way emotionally scarred by women? People do not just get married because of political status or money (or the majority) and the people in these positions will not simply take anyone they can get. George Clooney probably can pick up a few hundred wives on the street. He doesn't, not because he's thinking, 'damn if only polygamy was legal.'
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by stephen_rettie
'I merely argued that legalization and greater societal acceptance of polygamy would lead to a dispossessed lower class of young males,'

This is what makes no sense, please explain how these older men will become incredibly attractive to the younger women and steal them all away.

Ever heard of something called "money" and "power"? Women find that attractive. Why do you think you see all these old, rich slugs walking around with bombshell wives?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by stephen_rettie

How about you read where I already explained it?

Edit: Or just listen to Stewie. He's a smart one.
kill all humans
Quote by StewieSwan
Ever heard of something called "money" and "power"? Women find that attractive. Why do you think you see all these old, rich slugs walking around with bombshell wives?

and these women are women you wish to marry?
Quote by stephen_rettie
and these women are women you wish to marry?

Personally? No. Does that change anything? No.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Page 1 of 3