I think that Im pretty much settled on a Fender Jazzmaster, but I figured I should try to get some new ideas just to make sure. Im looking for a guitar with a semi-bright tone that has fat cleans but can rock out a bit. I play shoegazing post-punk and some harder rock (think Slowdive, The Cure, and Dinosaur Jr). Think Im on the right track or should I be looking at something else?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Your on the right track

If you want bright with nice cleans, look for Alder or Ash bodied guitars with maple necks.
Cool! I dont suppose you know of a company that makes knockoff Jazzmasters with maple necks huh? I LOVE the feel of my MIM Strats neck, but I wouldnt mind going back to a roswood neck if I have to
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
maybe try danelectro but that may be a bit too bright for you.
“I am 100 percent in favor of the intelligent use of drugs, and 1,000 percent against the thoughtless use of them, whether caffeine or LSD. And drugs are not central to my life.”

-Dr. Timothy Leary
I love the way Danos look, but nobody around me stock any, so Id be a bit hesitant to buy one. Could you point out any bands that use them? They seem pretty cheap, which is always a plus ;p
Board:
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
I love the way Danos look, but nobody around me stock any, so Id be a bit hesitant to buy one. Could you point out any bands that use them? They seem pretty cheap, which is always a plus ;p

i think i saw one of the guys in modest mouse using one, it wasnt johnny marr or isaac brock tho.

look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Danelectro_players
“I am 100 percent in favor of the intelligent use of drugs, and 1,000 percent against the thoughtless use of them, whether caffeine or LSD. And drugs are not central to my life.”

-Dr. Timothy Leary