Hey guys,

I am starting to get people ask if I will track/mix their bands, and so I am contemplating actually getting a half-decent setup.

All of the bands that I will be tracking/mixing and want to track/mix are metal/metalcore, and so far I have been able to actually coax decent sound out Line6 POD Farm, although I do have a Randall RM100 head for guitar.

I am just wondering. Right now all I have been using is an MBox2 and ProTools, however I am contemplating buying an 8-in preamp and Cubase.

Do you guys have any other suggestions.

For vocals I will be buying a Shure SM7.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
go with a profire 2626 that way you can keep the protools knowledge you know and also use other daws such as reaper cubase, rsonar etc. its great it works great with the sm7 then you can use your mbox2 via spidif for an extra 10 channels which will help alot for drums. good luck
Quote by CatharsisStudio
go with a profire 2626 that way you can keep the protools knowledge you know and also use other daws such as reaper cubase, rsonar etc. its great it works great with the sm7 then you can use your mbox2 via spidif for an extra 10 channels which will help alot for drums. good luck

EXCELLENT ADVICE, excellent. Listen to this guy, I see nothing to be added to this post. Profire 2626 is an excellent interface for the price and with a lot of routing options, you can stay with Pro Tools BUT you're not bound to it (so you can use other software too). It's Firewire, reliable, has preamps.

Nice post.

EDIT: Only one thing though, sadly S/PDIF is only stereo (2 in 2 out) so only 2 extra channels, not 10. What you could do though is get an additional 8 mic preamp with ADAT out to the ADAT in of the Profire2626 and VOILA: a comfortable total of 16in/ 16 out. Very decent stuff, you can track and monitor the whole band at once and still have spare tracks.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Last edited by miguelito2729 at Nov 18, 2009,
As overstated on this forums, the shure is only good for live situations, try getting an condencer. i have heard Shures are good for drums tho..
Quote by GisleAune
As overstated on this forums, the shure is only good for live situations, try getting an condencer. i have heard Shures are good for drums tho..

...the sm7 is a studio staple, used regularly in countless great records. of course it'd depend on the singer and the sound they want to get and etc etc etc, but for the genres the TS is planning on recording, the sm7 would likely sound much better than any cheap condenser he'd probably be able to get his hands on. it'll give the vocals a much more gutsy tone.
Quote by climhazzard
...the sm7 is a studio staple, used regularly in countless great records. of course it'd depend on the singer and the sound they want to get and etc etc etc, but for the genres the TS is planning on recording, the sm7 would likely sound much better than any cheap condenser he'd probably be able to get his hands on. it'll give the vocals a much more gutsy tone.

Thanks for this, I mean, I do have the means of obtaining a great condenser, and very much plan on it...but only for clean vocals. most screams that go through on a condenser sound tinny and midrangey...the SM7 allows the midrange to come through as well as more low end.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by climhazzard

This, the Sm7 is great for screaming and clean vocals, check out a bald Devin Townsend tracking with a Sm7 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuuRuL3HbHg

Also a total vocal masterclass.
Last edited by Beefmo at Nov 19, 2009,