I've been listening to a lot of The Catheters lately, so I'm GAS'ing big time for a Fender Jazzmaster. Trouble is: there are so many different flavors of that iconic guitar. I can't decide which one to add to my GAS list.

A) Vintage 1960's Jazzmaster = expensive mojo; 3K is not uncommon

B) '62 Reissue Jazzmaster = 7.25" radius, old school hardware, including crap-ola bridge, $1,600

C) Classic Player Jazzmaster = 9.5" radius, MIM, modern bridge, under $900

D) Thurston Moore Signature Jazzmaster = 7.25" radius, single volume control, minimalistic, SD single-coil pups, cool nitro green finish, spendy @ $1,400

E) Lee Ranaldo Signature Jazzmaster = similar to Thurston's axe but with Fender HB pups and a nitro blue finish, spendy @ $1,500

Right now, I think "D" is the way to go...but what do I know?

"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
I always liked the J. Mascis Jazzmaster.

That one's a little too sparkle-ly/purplish for me.
Have you considered looking for a CIJ/MIJ? Basically the AV Reissue with cheaper electronics and half the price.

I haven't tried the CP or any of the sig models so i'm not 100% about the others. If it was me i'd go with the AV or the Vintage, mainly because they aren't in ugly colours. That and I don't really like sig guitars. The 7" radius feels really nice though. Screw the CP and it's user friendly wimpyness. You can replace the bridge in the AV/CIJ/Vintage Jazz, you can't put mojo into the MIM.
For me, the 7.25" radius is key. Plus, I already have a CP Jaguar HH. Love that guitar and it was a great value. I've also always wanted a Jaguar with humbuckers.

But the Jazzmaster is cool too. I prefer its clean tone to a Mustang's clean tone.

I should price out some Japanese Jazzmasters, too, as suggested. It's ironic that the SY sig guitars are actually cheaper than the '62 Reissue.
Keep an eye out on ebay, you can get some great deals on offsets. CIJs/MIJs are harder to find in the US.

But when they do come up they're pretty awesome.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Jazzmaster-Japan_W0QQitemZ320446111662QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&itemid=320446111662
http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-JAPAN-JAZZMASTER-JM66-80-3TS-Q-SERIAL_W0QQitemZ350280789404QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item518e5cad9c

These'd be great with a new set of pups.
Last edited by beckyjc at Nov 18, 2009,
I never cared for the Jazzmaster I love the looks of the guitar but If they would make them with an HH and fixed bridge configuration I would own one for sure, that's why I prefer the Jaguar Baritone Special HH. I could have picked one up for only $450.00 a few months ago and passed now I regret it. I am not a Fender fan but the Jag Baritone really had a great sound and feel.

Look around for a used one. I have seen them pretty cheap on Craig's list. Look for an older MIJ Jazzmaster I have seen them for as low as $375.00 and IMO they are just as good if not better then the MIA ones and 100 times better than MIM.

John
The Jazzblaster is awesome of course (That's what Lee's is called).

I'll be building a mahogany HH custom JM over christmas. I imagine I shall like it even more.
The more I think about it, the more it seems like the Thurston Sig has everything I'm looking for:

• 7.25" fretboard radius
  • modern bridge
  • jumbo frets
  • Old School voiced single-coil JM pickups
  • minimalist controls (volume pot only, no secondary volume/tone channel)
  • 3-way switch
  • cool vibe/mojo in a unique guitar that you don't see very often
  • awesome green nitro finish
  • cheaper than a '62 reissue

What's not to like?
I liked the Elvis Costello siggy.

Oh, and i really do love the old 60s Jazzmasters.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by p o e
I liked the Elvis Costello siggy.

Oh, and i really do love the old 60s Jazzmasters.

+1 to the Costello

I also love surf green anything, so those are cool.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Green Sig For the Win