Go and play the amp yourself and decide for yourself whether there crap or not... If you dont like it then dont buy it ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru
Go and play the amp yourself and decide for yourself whether there crap or not... If you dont like it then dont buy it ...

Go and play the amp. If you don't like it, it is possible you may like it with different speakers. However, by spending that same amount of money that you WOULD spend on the speakers....you could get a nicer amp that likely has those speakers in it, or whatever

The fail was meant to go earlier in the post....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Fail.

Go and play the amp. If you don't like it, it is possible you may like it with different speakers. However, by spending that same amount of money that you WOULD spend on the speakers....you could get a nicer amp that likely has those speakers in it, or whatever

Hence why it isnt a fail ...

And you save your self the hassel of changing the speakers...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

I see what you guys mean, although this is a Xmas/Bday present from my family, so a more expensive amp is really out of the question.

I think I worded the original post badly. I MEANT to say, while the amp and speakers are good in general, people have seen great improvements by swapping out the tubes and speakers.

Your thoughts now on which speakers I should get?
Last edited by m1tch4444 at Nov 18, 2009,
i personally loved the Jaguars in my Randall, they rocked.. But the celestion and Eminence 30 are nice..

I must agree with Brendan.Clace & Tatsumaru..

Would be a waste to buy it and replace them.. just get something better if you are unsure..

it will save you alot of hassle.. what if you buy the amp and swap out a set of $180 speakers , just to end up close to the same tone??
I found the speakers were kinda muddy , I swapped out my stock speakers with the Celestion V30's and it improved the sound tremendously. Big tone improvement , and things are much clearer. The Celestions are a bit pricey though , I would probably concider WGS's Veteran 30's, or any of the WGS line up for that matter. Take Care!
Celestion V30s come in Mesa/Orange cabs and give a more pushed mids modern metal sound (to me)
Celestion g12t75 - come in marshall 1960 cabs give you that classic scooped tone.. once again too me
personally i have a 4x12 with 2 of each
facebook.com/crazymentalchris
youtube.com/chrisprsguitars

come say Hi!
Quote by m1tch4444
I see what you guys mean, although this is a Xmas/Bday present from my family, so a more expensive amp is really out of the question.

I think I worded the original post badly. I MEANT to say, while the amp and speakers are good in general, people have seen great improvements by swapping out the tubes and speakers.

Your thoughts now on which speakers I should get?

What speakers to get would depend on what YOU feel is lacking about the amp's tone.

Don't get ahead of yourself. Get to know the amp, find out what you do and don't like about it.
9 posts, 2 speaker suggestions. wow. you would most likely like celestion style speakers in your cab, especially if you play rock or metal. V30's are the standard of the industry right now, they have a nice mids hump and handle a variety of genre's well. they don't handle as well when using very slack down tunings though.

i would recommend a G12M and a G12H for a classic sound, a G12K-100 for low tuned metal, or a G12-65 for classic 80's rock. i personally upgraded to a couple of weber speakers myself and it was well worth the price.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Honestly man, like forsakenzreal said part of the fun is learning what you dislike about the amp and then improving it. Get the amp, play it for a month and you'll start getting sick of the tone, then throw in some tubes and bam you're happy for another month, then some speakers bam... bam etc. bam etc. bam etc.

You get the idea. The point is if you knew enough about the amp and its shortcomings you'd have more info for us. You are basing your 'need' to replace the speaker completely on internet hearsay. Just take it one step at a time, you'll enjoy the ride a lot more that way.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by kyle62
How about you get the head for Christmas, and then you've got a choice of good cabs for your budget?

Or this would be great if you insist.

If you really must; I've heard the VK does very well with V30s and I personally love V30s... But you may HATE them, they have a very unique, almost harsh character, hence our recommendation to learn a bit more before you jump into this.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
@tubetime & forsaknazrael. i agree with what you you say, all my exp playing my amps helped me form opinions on many options on amps. sure, totally, playing the amp and finding it's needs is incredibly important. my comments were aimed at the fact that TS asked on the opening line for speaker recommendations for an amp, and in 9 posts that i read up to that point, only 2 recommended a speaker...

if i disagree with what a person does then i can share my opinion, but i at least take the time to answer the question and give them a broad idea of the solutions they are facing.

@forsaknazrael: my recommendations are based on assumptions on desired effect(i was guessing he plays rock to hard rock) and broad generalizations( break down on popular speakers you are going to recommend him based on how he responds), my backup for that information is years and years and years of hanging out with tone geeks and buying tons and tons of primo crap... then we like to talk about it.

Honestly man, like forsakenzreal said part of the fun is learning what you dislike about the amp and then improving it. Get the amp, play it for a month and you'll start getting sick of the tone, then throw in some tubes and bam you're happy for another month, then some speakers bam... bam etc. bam etc. bam etc.

yup, agreed. in fact i will go on record to saying this would be the best bet. but at the time he doesn't have access to play and tweak, and it doesn't send him in the right direction armed with any kind of knowledge at all.

i am just getting tired of people asking questions like: what is a good metal amp? and people responding like socrates ghost asking what kinda guitar they use? i didn't feel i needed to give further off subject advice, so i just gave him some speaker advice like he asked for.

just because i didn't jump on the band wagon and including a disclaimer about about 'getting to know your amp' is better than 'blind advice' doesn't mean i contradicted you or disagree with what you said, you guys are right. i just thought TS might want some info about speakers too.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by gumbilicious
Stuff.

I agree with 99% of that, but I just get irritated when people make recommendations without enough info. If TS can't tell you what characteristics he wants to improve how can you recommend a speaker? As I said, my instant recommendation would be a V30, but I don't want to just throw that out there, because I don't know enough to say that's a good speaker FOR HIM. I do, however, know its a good speaker, and I've heard it greatly improves the VK, but that doesn't mean it fits him. We don't even know for sure what genres he plays, at this point.

Sometimes the best advice we as UG can give isn't one of the choices the TS provides... Usually I state my opinion once, if they say 'that wasn't one of my choices..' kind of thing I reiterate why I suggested what I did, then make a 'lesser of the evils' type of decision. People come here to learn about gear and get questions answered, sometimes the most important thing for them to know is not the answer to their question.

TS - Believe me, just hold out. Maybe you get the amp, and decided new tubes would be the best way to upgrade... Or a boost pedal, or any number of things. Or maybe you get it and its perfect. You never know, and you can always pick something up later, but if you buy now you may not be able to return.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Tell your family to buy you something used, and help them find it and go try it out with them. Sure, it won't be as much of a "surprise," but if you already know you're going to get a VK, you might as well step it up a bit and get something worth the price tag... $640 for a new Valveking is outrageous IMO; there's one selling on my Craigslist right now for $250.

For that much cash, you could get a nice used Mesa combo with great speakers already in it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Tell your family to buy you something used, and help them find it and go try it out with them. Sure, it won't be as much of a "surprise," but if you already know you're going to get a VK, you might as well step it up a bit and get something worth the price tag... $640 for a new Valveking is outrageous IMO; there's one selling on my Craigslist right now for $250.

For that much cash, you could get a nice used Mesa combo with great speakers already in it

Matrix is right, you could get literally ten times the quality buying used. The Valveking is a cheap and shitty valve amp that does the job, whereas you could easily get 'pro quality' for $600 if you're smart.

And again, why would you buy a combo you know has crap speakers, when you could buy a head?
^ Listen to these guys. I hadn't even considered the cost of a VK...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I agree with 99% of that, but I just get irritated when people make recommendations without enough info. If TS can't tell you what characteristics he wants to improve how can you recommend a speaker? As I said, my instant recommendation would be a V30, but I don't want to just throw that out there, because I don't know enough to say that's a good speaker FOR HIM. I do, however, know its a good speaker, and I've heard it greatly improves the VK, but that doesn't mean it fits him. We don't even know for sure what genres he plays, at this point.

Sometimes the best advice we as UG can give isn't one of the choices the TS provides... Usually I state my opinion once, if they say 'that wasn't one of my choices..' kind of thing I reiterate why I suggested what I did, then make a 'lesser of the evils' type of decision. People come here to learn about gear and get questions answered, sometimes the most important thing for them to know is not the answer to their question.

TS - Believe me, just hold out. Maybe you get the amp, and decided new tubes would be the best way to upgrade... Or a boost pedal, or any number of things. Or maybe you get it and its perfect. You never know, and you can always pick something up later, but if you buy now you may not be able to return.

if it irritates you, then why take it out on me? the advice i gave him was hugely general and relevant as far as it covered most of what he would be most interested in and i stated industry standards for each case, those are good starting points. most the time people recommend one of the speakers i mentioned, i just told him what they are good at. it is up to him to decided whether he needs a speaker change, but at least now he knows what he wants to compare it to.

it annoys me to no end that people want to run before they can walk, and people usually get far ahead of themselves when thinking about replacing speakers, but nothing i can do can prevent that, i mean, i did it myself. so the least i can do is give him some useful info, can i do that without being questioned by the morality police? what is your goal? to force him to go about his equipment needs in the most efficient manner YOU find fit? that is not going to happen, people have to take their own choice, and they'll have to take the advice they find more useful from their own judgment.

-ae