Hey ppl

Just looking for an advice here.
I have an Agile goldtop with P90s. They sound ok but they hum crazy and its annoying especially on stage. I'm looking to isolate it with this:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/goeldo_el900_profi_shield_screen.htm

And one more thing i'm looking to mod. As i said the p90 sound ok, they just lack a bit of the p90 bite. So i'm not sure what to do. Get a new pickup or swap the pots for better ones ( hopefully this will enhance the tone a bit )

Any suggestions are welcomed.
Cheers !
Shielding or a pot change wont make much difference. I dont think its a shielding problem, its most likely 60 cycle hum, as they are single coils. A pickup change to some P90 sized humbuckers is really the only option you have for getting rid of it.
how much will better pots improve the stock p90 ?

i was looking at Gibson pots and noticed they don't make 250 ones just 300.
How would these be compared to the 250 ones that should obviously be good for P90s.
Last edited by Kiddd at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by Kiddd
how much will better pots improve the stock p90 ?

i was looking at Gibson pots and noticed they don't make 250 ones just 300.
How would these be compared to the 250 ones that should obviously be good for P90s.

I don't know about the potentiometers Gibson uses, but from my experience, changing pots can have a considerable effect on tone. I put RS Superpots in my LP, and it made a huge difference.

That's anecdotal, obviously - and I don't know enough about them other than that to suggest a specific brand or type. Sorry. But I can tell you it's an upgrade worth looking at.
I hate P90s and Single coils because of the annoying hum they put out but P90s do sound nice I don't think single coils sound good at all no matter what you do to them. I pot my P90s and then shield them with copper. It's not a cure all but cuts down the hum but not all of it. I never tried anything else. If you go with a P100 (P90 size humbucker) you will loose that P90 sound. I have researched maybe adding some type of electronics or something to solder inside the guitar to cut the hum but I haven't been able to find anything out side buying a noise gate.

John
It is possible with proper shielding and grounding to eliminate most of the hum coming from p90s. My p90 equipped guitar is really quiet. They do have metal covers which helps with shielding. But star grounding the control compartment makes a big difference. I use 500k pots which adds to the bite of p90s.
I'm planning to get a Vintage Goldtop and swap out the stocks for Irongear Platinum 90s. As far as reducing 60hz hum, I have had moderate success with a good EQ pedal once all the grounding was checked out, of course.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Getting a noise gate will help cut down on the hum when you are not playing. You might also want to shield the cavities. I hear that tin-foil works fairly well.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
I just purchased and Agile AL 2000 Tribal blue, now I donot have the P90 in it just the stock pickups, but I had an terrible hum only when I would play an open sting note. I i touched any metal part of the guitar the hum went away (including the string). What i did was re solder all the ground point just to make sure there were no cold solder joints ans I lined both the pot cavity and the switch cavity with copper tape. I didn't even ground the tape yet and this all but eliminated the hum.

Nick F
Quote by Xeron Brigs
Getting a noise gate will help cut down on the hum when you are not playing. You might also want to shield the cavities. I hear that tin-foil works fairly well.

This, if you can tweak it to cut the hum out, which shouldent be over -16DB then it should cut out all hum, but just dont expect to have very long sustain, the noise gate will cut your guitar signel once it gets to -16 DB.