Page 1 of 4
My friends' christmas wish list really made me wonder about how people perceived the holiday seasons.

"I put this on my moms fridge "

Christmas Wishlist:

Cameras:
- Nikon 440 ($500)
- Canon Powershot G11 ($500)
- Holga Camera ($50)
- Fisheye Camera ($50)
- Polaroid Camera ($20)
(Cameras found at Costco, Best Buy, Urban Outfitters and online)

Clothing:
- Flannels ($25)
- Skinny Jeans ($20)
- Scarfs ($10)
- Trench Coat ($40)
- Cardigan Jacket ($30)
- Vest ($20)
- Inspirational Shirts ($10)
- Beanies ($10)
- Newsboy Cap Hat ($15)
- Trilby Hat ($15)
- Beret Hat ($15)
- Military Hat ($15)
(Clothing found at Urban Outfitters, Target, American Eagle, Heritage and online)

Shoes:
- Vans Slip Ons [White] ($40)
- UO Faux Leather Plimsoll (24)
- UO Plimsoll Sneaker ($18 or 2 for $30)
(Shoes found at Urban Outfitters, Journeys, Vans, and online)

Music, Movies, and TV Box Sets:
- Dear Jack DVD ($10)
- Atonement DVD ($15)
- Pirates of the Caribbean Series ($15 each)
- Everything is Illuminated DVD ($15)
- The Fountain DVD ($15)
- Running with Scissors DVd ($15)
- Flyleaf – Memento Mori CD ($15)
- Owl City – Ocean Eyes CD ($15)
- Jack’s Mannequin – Dear Jack EP ($4)
- Pushing Daises TV Box Set ($40)
(Music, Movies and TV found at Target, Walmart, iTunes, Best Buys, and online)
*I know LOST is my favorite show, but I’m waiting for the full TV Set after S6

Gift Cards: Heritage, Urban Outfitters, Target, American Eagle, Starbucks, and Visa."

This is what he wants and he says his mother is getting him most of it. He is 17 years old and has income. I find it so selfish he doesn't bother with asking his parents for what they want. They're the ones who gave him the most in his life anyway.

How many of you nearing the legal age/past legal age still write your parents a christmas wish list? And what do you think of expecting gifts? I think his parents did not raise him properly. I'm gonna facepalm so hard when he turns 18 and still prepares a wish list.

I'm not asking my parents for anything. If I had income I'd thank them for what they've done and I'd give them something without asking for anything in return.
Last edited by Z_cup_boy at Nov 18, 2009,
Wtf that's a ludocris amount.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
What the fuck...

I don't really want anything for Christmas, because I don't need it. All I want is a couple DVD's and some CD's that I want my parents and relatives to choose for me. What do you get someone who has everything they need?

Christmas is about family and, sounds cliche, but giving is better than receiving.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
What the fuck...

I don't really want anything for Christmas, because I don't need it. All I want is a couple DVD's and some CD's that I want my parents and relatives to choose for me. What do you get someone who has everything they need?

Christmas is about family and, sounds cliche, but giving is better than receiving.

Zcupboy has a VAGINA dumbnut
dude, i stopped writing wish lists when i was like 7.

the only thing i've been wanting lately (as in for the past few years) is a $1000+ guitar, but i'm not about to ask for that this christmas. so i'll settle for nothing.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Zero-Hartman
What the fuck...

Tru dat.

Quote by Sir-Shredalot

Silence.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
, I've told my parents not to get me anything. They pay my rent etc, no need to do anything else.

For me Christmas is just about being with family and seeing friends who I don't get to see at other times of the year.
Plus my uni has an entire 4 weeks off, sweet.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
What, why does he need 5 cameras? Sounds like a spoiled brat to me.
Reminds me of Spoilt bastard from the Viz, this is like, the only picture I could find of him:
Quote by Sir-Shredalot

J'ai douze ans et ce que tu racontes?
Quote by Ed Hunter
Tru dat.

I've had my share of Christmas.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I'm sans income and not asking for anything. I don't really need anything expensive anytime soon, barring a car (which I've got other arrangements for). I'll work for whatever instruments I plan to buy in the future. Anything else can be held off until I come across disposable income.

That and a completely ****ed-up family dynamic makes the Christmas season relatively dull. Oh well.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
17 years old and still wants mom and dad to buy him stuff?

If consumerism could manifest itself into some sort of physical form, I would battle it, Gandalf-style.

"YOU SHALL NOT PASS, PROPAGATOR OF MALLS!" *slams staff into ground*
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
My grandparents get me a few books, my mum usually gets me a CD or two. However, my bday is 2 days after Christmas, and I'm hoping for a wah pedal. I don't compile any lists or anything. If they couldn't or didn't want to get me anything, I wouldn't really care, I'd just be a few CDs, books and wah pedals less.

I've realised that I have too many possessions. Keep in mind that most of the stuff I have is just storage stuff from years gone by, but I've got so much shit that I either don't want or need. I'm typing this from my desk with 2 computers on it, with a shelf to the right which is filled to the brim with "stuff" - old burnt CDs, atlases, cables, magazines, etc.. It makes me sick to my stomach that I've got so much sometimes...

Also, @ thread title...kinda a bit of a ironic point isn't it? I mean, regardless of it's history, it's still "Christ's Mass" after all, right? I know that on Christmas morning I'll be going to go meditate and pray at church, and I think that would make me happier than any gifts that I may or may not receive.
In regards to the original question.

I'll be 18 at christmas (b-day is December 22). I owe my parents $800. I told my parents I didn't want anything, and if they were feeling generous they could knock an appropriate amount of money of that $800 for birthday and christmas.

They're taking $200 off. But my mom insisted I write a christmas list for her. So I wrote one with four items.

I would get my parents some form of gift, but I have -$600
To me it is a celebration of family, giving, years' end, and just in general a happy winter spirit. To me it is something ambiguous as Seasons' Greetings, not neccessarily something concerning Christ. (I'm not religious).
Quote by kenan6346

Also, @ thread title...kinda a bit of a ironic point isn't it? I mean, regardless of it's history, it's still "Christ's Mass" after all, right? I know that on Christmas morning I'll be going to go meditate and pray at church, and I think that would make me happier than any gifts that I may or may not receive.

Nah. Christmas has been celebrated in my country for millennia, long before Christians came here and I'd imagine will be celebrated long after they're gone. All that has changed is the name really.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Nov 18, 2009,
I love the Calvin And Hobbes panel where Calvin is presenting his mom his Christmas list, a wad of papers: "This is A through to G, Atom Bomb - Grenade Launcher"

Also:

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Yeah, christmas, one out of two times in a year I go to church lol

But usually i want something for christmas at around 1000 NOK (130-150 $)

But this christmas (and the last, and even the one before then) i didn't ask for anything really.

I'm 17, and that list makes me sick!
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Nah. Christmas has been celebrated in my country for millennia, long before Christians came here and I'd imagine will be celebrated long after they're gone. All that has changed is the name really.

Surely it had a greater meaning than it's name once upon a time, at least for Christians? Whatever it was or will be, it is to us the celebration of the birth of our Lord, whenever he was born.

I get your point though. It is now, for all intents and purposes, a secular holiday which basically marks the end of the year, the coming together of family and friends, the giving of gifts and being generally merry.
I stopped asking my parents for stuff at like 18. I still get some gifts from them, though.

Biggest one was a car for my 19th birthday, but I guess it doesn't count.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Last edited by Astyan at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by sfaune92
Yeah, christmas, one out of two times in a year I go to church lol

But usually i want something for christmas at around 1000 NOK (130-150 $)

But this christmas (and the last, and even the one before then) i didn't ask for anything really.

I'm 17, and that list makes me sick!

What do you even do in church? I'm confused about how religion is perceived in your country..
In Norway? Like 87% of the country is Protestant.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze

the rest is satanist black metal
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Quote by kenan6346
Surely it had a greater meaning than it's name once upon a time, at least for Christians? Whatever it was or will be, it is to us the celebration of the birth of our Lord, whenever he was born.

I get your point though. It is now, for all intents and purposes, a secular holiday which basically marks the end of the year, the coming together of family and friends, the giving of gifts and being generally merry.

For some people, but they really just co-opted the solstice celebration and effectively did nothing to change it except to say "Now you celebrate Jesus instead of the sun, ok? Awesome. Carry on then".
I know for some families the religion part is a big deal, but that's never been my experience.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Firenze

I always thought it to be highly irreligious?
Quote by Z_cup_boy

Nearly 83% of Norwegians are members of the state Church of Norway, to which they are registered at baptism. Many remain in the state church to be able to use services such as baptism, confirmation, marriage and burial, rites which have strong cultural standing in Norway. However, only 20% of Norwegians say that religion occupies an important place in their life (according to a recent Gallup poll), making Norway one of the most secular countries of the world (only in Estonia, Sweden and Denmark the percentage of people who considered religion to be important was lower).[61] In the early 1990s, it was estimated that between 4.7% – 5.3% of Norwegians attended church on a weekly basis.Up to 40% of the membership attends church or religious meetings at least once annually.[63]

According to the most recent Eurobarometer Poll 2005, 32% of Norwegian citizens responded that "they believe there is a god," whereas 47% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force" and 17% that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, god, or life force."[64] According to Gustafsson and Pettersson(2002), 72% of Norwegians do not believe in a 'personal God.'[65]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway#Religion
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
all totaled up, that list is around $1628 and his mum is getting most of it? seriously, what the hell
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Nearly 83% of Norwegians are members of the state Church of Norway, to which they are registered at baptism. Many remain in the state church to be able to use services such as baptism, confirmation, marriage and burial, rites which have strong cultural standing in Norway. However, only 20% of Norwegians say that religion occupies an important place in their life (according to a recent Gallup poll), making Norway one of the most secular countries of the world (only in Estonia, Sweden and Denmark the percentage of people who considered religion to be important was lower).[61] In the early 1990s, it was estimated that between 4.7% – 5.3% of Norwegians attended church on a weekly basis.Up to 40% of the membership attends church or religious meetings at least once annually.[63]

According to the most recent Eurobarometer Poll 2005, 32% of Norwegian citizens responded that "they believe there is a god," whereas 47% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force" and 17% that "they do not believe there is any sort of spirit, god, or life force."[64] According to Gustafsson and Pettersson(2002), 72% of Norwegians do not believe in a 'personal God.'[65]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway#Religion

Yeah, thats what I thought. I've studied this before but I haven't ever really gotten a norwegians' point of view.
Quote by Z_cup_boy

I had no idea DRotC or the RotC were that religious, same with the whole western African Seaboard. That map has surprised me with a lot of countries to be honest.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I had no idea DRotC or the RotC were that religious, same with the whole western African Seaboard. That map has surprised me with a lot of countries to be honest.

Well look at history. Africa was imperialised and received christianity from those who imperialised the continent.
I might tell my mum a list of the books/cds I'd like but I'd never pin it on the fridge! I love christmas, I don't care what you call it but anytime where I can spend time with family and friends, eat and drink too much and give each other gifts sound like a great idea.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Z_cup_boy
Well look at history. Africa was imperialised and received christianity from those who imperialised the continent.

Looks like the prosperous countries aren't that religious, yet places like Nepal, Ethiopia, Vietnam and Sudan are :/

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Ah, Christmas, 'tis the season of getting...
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Looks like the prosperous countries aren't that religious, yet places like Nepal, Ethiopia, Vietnam and Sudan are :/

With the exception of some middle eastern nations, yes, the more prosperous nations typically are not as religious.
Quote by Raizer Sabre
all totaled up, that list is around $1628 and his mum is getting most of it? seriously, what the hell

Meh, there are some kids who get guitars for Christmas for double that price. It's not that that isn't a lot of money - it's heaps- but I think we're looking at the actual list rather than the price of it all. Also, with a decent guitar you can, you know, make music and all, and a guitar that price will likely be yours for the rest of your life if you take good care of it and don't sell or lose it for any reason. A much better investment than five cameras in my opinion.
I don't care what my parents get for me. Although they've told me they're giving me $500, which is great, but i'd prefer the $4000 I loaned them.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Man, I usually ask my parents for some in the price range of an eBow, make it known to my family that that is what I want, and let them fill in the blanks.

Then again, I'm 14 (*gasp* giving away his age online! It's alright, I already go bear hunting), so I don't have any income yet. I will in a year or two, I guess, but not now.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
My son is 17 and as far as he's concerned, he's not getting anything for Christmas because he asked for something quite expensive for his birthday, (he didn't just ask for it, he was asked what he wanted and gave a reply) said that he realised it was expensive and that he would happily forgo any Christmas presents to make up for it.

Of course, we probably will get him a little something for Christmas, I'd feel like a real tightwad if we didn't.

The kid in the opening post was just plain greedy, but I can see it from a parent's point of view. We tend to want to be able to give our kids almost anything they want (within reason) because it gives us pleasure to do so.
I thought gifts were the point though. I mean, isn't Christmas all about the life and death of Santa Claus?
I've never flat out asked my parents for anything like that. My whole family is like that, actually, aside from one of my sisters.

Seems kinda bratty when you ask for so much more than you need.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Page 1 of 4