I am about to buy a new guitar for playing metal such as Norther, Wintersun, Ensiferum and sometimes some Slayer. I can spend up to around $1000 on it, and don't know exactly what to invest in. I have done some research and so far a good deal I have found is a BC Rich NJ Deluxe Warbeast for $700. It seems like a solid guitar for all kinds of metal, but I'm wondering if there are any other guitars out there for around the same price that could be better than it.

http://www.bcrich.com/warbeast_nj_dlx.asp

Another guitar I have looked at a bit is the Alexi-600, but I'm not sure if that would limit me to only being able to play melodeath rather than any thrash metal and such.

So, are there any good metal guitars for melodeath/folk/thrash metal for around $1000, and what are your opinions on the Alexi-600?
I freakin love my Alexi-600, so my opinion is baised. If your just starting out, you may want an guitar with a neck pickup aswell tho.

BTW, a guitar doesn't really determine the style it can play. I was playing weezer on my Alexi last night, aswell as some simple 60's songs, followed by the reaper (lol)

A high end Jackson would be nice also. Do you have an Amp already?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I have a horrible amp at the moment, but I will be buying a Vox VT-50 when I get my new guitar.
i've never played a VT50, so i can't comment. i dunno if it has enough gain for metal.

are you just starting or have you been playing a while?
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Ibanez. They do everything. An S or an RG, take your pick!
I swear by them.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
Put more money into your amp to get the best sound, as for "metal" guitars, I always recommend ESP Horizons

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
I've been playing almost 2 years, but am making steady progress. I can play quite a few Opeth songs, some Ensiferum and things like that. I'm looking for a guitar that will last me quite a while, because I don't wanna be buying heaps of new guitars all the time.

I haven't played a VT50 in a while, but it is fine for playing melodeath without any background noise.
Ok i play a Jackson RR with EMGhz's and i play alot of different kinds of music but mainly metal. BC Rich guitars, in my opinion, dont have that great of tone... mainly because their factory pick-ups suck ass. I suggest goin to guitar center and playin around with anything and everything. i think it all comes down to comfort and what YOU think sounds good. but if your lookin for a good staring point or a little direction ,I would try out Jackson, Ibanez, LTD/ESP, Dean, Schecter, and Gibson... yes gibson... believe it or not they arent just for classic rock and alternative... great metal artists played gibsons including but not limited to: Rhandy Rhodes, Zakk Wylde, Mark Morton (Lamb Of God), and of course Toni Iommi. So just pick something you like... cuz really who gives a **** what anyone thinks but you.
Quote by masta_blasta666
Ok i play a Jackson RR with EMGhz's and i play alot of different kinds of music but mainly metal. BC Rich guitars, in my opinion, dont have that great of tone... mainly because their factory pick-ups suck ass. I suggest goin to guitar center and playin around with anything and everything. i think it all comes down to comfort and what YOU think sounds good. but if your lookin for a good staring point or a little direction ,I would try out Jackson, Ibanez, LTD/ESP, Dean, Schecter, and Gibson... yes gibson... believe it or not they arent just for classic rock and alternative... great metal artists played gibsons including but not limited to: Rhandy Rhodes, Zakk Wylde, Mark Morton (Lamb Of God), and of course Toni Iommi. So just pick something you like... cuz really who gives a **** what anyone thinks but you.

I agree 100%. You can play metal on pretty much any guitar. Strats can be a good choice too, just depends if you are into a single coil sound, or a humbucker sound. As with any other equipment, it really depends on the player and what they are able to coax out of it.
Quote by masta_blasta666

that warbeast he's looking at has an 81/85 combo, so no worries on the pickups.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
one thing to consider. Maybe try going with a 5-600 guitar and then spend 900-1000 on your amp?

some very nice t00b amps can be had in that range, and 5-600 will still net you a guitar with EMG's (you could put an 81 on a broom and it'll sound metal)
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
one thing to consider. Maybe try going with a 5-600 guitar and then spend 900-1000 on your amp?

+1

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?