Poll: Would you consider Math as an Art?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you consider Math as an Art?
Yes.
46 24%
Nope.
145 76%
Voters: 191.
Page 1 of 3
A few months ago, as my math teacher was teaching us she suddenly said something about math being beautiful, and that it was an Art. A friend of mine responded rejecting her thought saying that Math couldn't be an Art, because it doesn't really express anything and he explained many more things out of his opinion on what "Art" was. I leaned more on what my friend expressed, but I didn't really say anything even though I had my ideas and the whole class resulted in the debate in between my teacher and my friend arguing if Math was an Art.

My opinion is simple: Math isn't an Art, it doesn't move masses of people to ideals, nor does it express any emotion. It's a science not an art.

I can say more, but I'd rather hear your opinions first.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
i can't think of a more boring subject than math.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Nov 18, 2009,
Where I agree with you that it isn't art, I disagree with the fact that it doesn't move people to ideals. If math could somehow disprove the existence of God (like it would make a difference), it would move people towards the ideal that there's no such thing.

Also, make a poll.
Currently Looking For:
NES: Zelda (Gold Cart), Metroid, Ninja Turtles Series
N64: Mario 64, Majora's Mask, Harvest Moon
calculus and math are not an art, they are a form of rules, which become equations, which is math. so no.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
No, maths is pretty much just pure logic. Art wouldn't have to worry about that, and maths has nothing to express.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Maths is one gigantic piss-take is what it is (Honors Maths sucks so much)
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Mathematics themselves aren't an art, they are a combination of strictly defined rules.

Mastering all of these rules and being able to solve ridiculously complex equations which lead to practical uses can be considered as an art, though.

Edit: I voted yes, because some specific equations are the basis of some shapes and phenomenon that can easily be qualified as art. Take fractals, for example.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Last edited by Astyan at Nov 18, 2009,
Maths is certainly elegant. While I'd say it's AN art, I wouldn't say it's art.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Don't forget people that art isn't strictly defined as creative stuff like painting, music etc. It is also defined as a skill and as the usage of maths is a skill in that definition maths is an art.

That's the way I see it anyway.
No. Maths is basically a way to quantify all sorts of things seen in nature.
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Mathematic is not an Art.

It's a Language.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
math is an understanding of our world. art is an expression of our feelings and ideas. It's like fact vs. opinion.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
I would say mathematics is an art but this is coming from someone who has done alot of it. I can understand people saying that it isn't an art and that probably comes from those who have general knowledge, I myself thought that aswell until I started to move up in the math and engineering world and started to realize that any application being as simple as a guitar pedal to something very complex such as making a helicopter stay in the air could be modeled by the same branch of mathematics. Just my two cents from a control systems nerd.
A key element of art is expression, is it not? I don't find any of that in math. To me, math is a tool that is suitable for certain tasks, nothing more. But that's coming from an engineering student, so take it with a grain of salt.

EDIT: I should start reading opening posts.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 18, 2009,
Math is a science. There's no emotion or expression, which is what Art is all about. Only endless rules.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Last edited by Rockingbird at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by kes1e
I would say mathematics is an art but this is coming from someone who has done alot of it. I can understand people saying that it isn't an art and that probably comes from those who have general knowledge, I myself thought that aswell until I started to move up in the math and engineering world and started to realize that any application being as simple as a guitar pedal to something very complex such as making a helicopter stay in the air could be modeled by the same branch of mathematics. Just my two cents from a control systems nerd.

Math can, of course, be used to create art, but I wouldn't say that it is an art form in itself.

Kinda like the paintbrush.
Quote by kes1e

But that would mean Math could be used as a "tool" to make Art.

Let me give this example that involves a relation:

Music Theory could be used as a tool to make Music.

Math could be used as a tool to make a painting.

So really, Math itself isn't an Art but the base to make Art. This is my opinion though.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!

BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Last edited by XxLloydxX at Nov 18, 2009,
Math has nothing to do with creativity. When practicing math, one has to stick to using fixed formulas/equations. Therefore, it's no where near an art.

Plus, what the posts above said about expressing emotion/one's self.
awww shit, why did I vote yes?

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Roookie
When practicing math, one has to stick to using fixed formulas/equations. Therefore, it's no where near an art.
If you think that's actually true, you really haven't done much maths.
Quote by XxLloydxX

So really, Math itself isn't an Art but the base to make Art. This is my opinion though.

I do agree with that statement. I was thinking more towards the application side of mathematics rather than pure mathematics in itself. Pure math is not way to express emotions however there is a tremindous amount of creativity involved.
I would say it is just applied logical rules to create formula, equations, laws etc. However I'm only in my first year at uni (studying Maths) and I accept that in comparison to how much knowledge is available I infact have very little at this point in time, So I wouldn't be surprised if it is considered an art by Professors and lecturers etc. Really the only thing that makes up the answer is your opinion of what an art is, seen as how must of us already have a fixed idea of what maths is.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I can see exactly what your teacher meant. I agree with it.

But I also see why people would think otherwise
Quote by whyamihere
If you think that's actually true, you really haven't done much maths.

Certainly you aren't suggesting you can ignore the rules of calculus at will, are you?
Quote by neidnarb11890
"All art is quite useless."
Mathematics has useful, real world applications.

Hah, useless? Actually my friend, Art is one of the most useful things a human can have or experience. We use art to express ourselves and arouse our human emotions and this is beautiful for oneself.
If you aren't the artist but the one who consumes art, it's even as useful as being an artist, because one who consumes art is trying to find beauty, Art is beautiful, and as all beauty it seduces people. Art can motivate you to abandon any unjust rulers and inspire others to follow you with the ideals you received from the art. Maybe you don't see it, but art moves masses of people because of this. In fact living from art can make someone happy forever, and inspire happiness to other individuals.
I don't know how art is useless, seriously.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!

BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
well i don't feel like going into detail about it but i just did like a 2000 word essay on how math formula's progeramed into computers with random numbers is art, IMO, its stupid but they have like entire museums dedicated to that crap
Music is Mathematics. Each "note" is only such because of mathematics, and harmony is mathematical, and meter, and everything else too.

Math itself isn't anything, but doing math can be art. Just like paint isn't art until you paint with it.
Quote by neidnarb11890
"All art is quite useless."
Mathematics has useful, real world applications.

That sounds kinda derogatory. I've got the impression sometimes that it's true - some art has little use (if any), but that's not because it's worthless, quite the contrary; it's an end in itself.
I agree with those saying math is a tool.

It can be used to create art, but in of itself I don't view math as an art form.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by TheQuailman
That sounds kinda derogatory. I've got the impression sometimes that it's true - some art has little use (if any), but that's not because it's worthless, quite the contrary; it's an end in itself.

Looks pretty useful to me. I like to use art to cross large bodies of water.
I would say no, because there's always a correct answer.

More conventional arts - music, fine art, even history - are subjective.
This is funny because any time you listen to an mp3, you're just listening to your computer crapping 1's and 0's out of a speaker.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
i think math can be an art form.

think about it, all the formulas we know now through years of experimentation are just like songs people have written. math is just a way of arranging numbers (which are a just representations of different values of reality) just like how you arrange notes in a composition if you were to strictly adhere to the rules of theory.

people say math isn't art because it all follows the same formula, but what most people don't take into account is theoretical mathematics. throwing in new variables, new constructs, new ways to further divide and multiply numbers.

Math is all about determining a precise equation to accurately represent a value of reality, just like how musicians attempt to create a precise emotion through their music.

that's just how i see it though.
Quote by mental_zer0
Math is all about determining a precise equation to accurately represent a value of reality, just like how musicians attempt to create a precise emotion through their music.

This is why I don't think math is an art.

In math, the answer on an equation will always be the same no matter who solves it.

A musician trying to express a feeling varies from musician to musician even when they're trying to express the same feeling.

Nothing is precise, unlike in math.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
not math itself but how you put it to use. take music for example...
Quote by CodySG
This is why I don't think math is an art.

In math, the answer on an equation will always be the same no matter who solves it.

A musician trying to express a feeling varies from musician to musician even when they're trying to express the same feeling.

Nothing is precise, unlike in math.

i agree, somewhat.

the answer may be the same, but the nuances are in how you get to that answer. someone would take an equation and think "what could i change so that the equation is different, but the answer is the same?"

it's just up to the mathematician to change it around and make it unique, just like musicians can either recycle old equations or put their own spin on it.
Page 1 of 3