Hello people. I've got a small Marshall MG 15 CDR and I want to practice with my guitar using headphones. The amp has an emulated headphones input and a CD input.

My teacher gave me some improvising exercises to play along with a program in my computer. I was wondering if I can connect the PC to the amp, and then the headphones into the headphones input so everything comes from the same place and I dont have to use one ear to listen to the computer and one for the guitar. Is that possible with those 2 inputs? And if not, what's the CD in one for? Thanks.
Don't see why not - except the headphone socket is an output not an input :P

Edit: yes you should be able to connect it all up like that
Last edited by zhilla at Nov 18, 2009,
the CD one normaly is for plugging in an ipod to play along with... i used to do it when i was starting out... but yea.. i'tll work.. guitar to guitar input.. computer to CD input, headphones to headphones, power to power outlet
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Ok great And what cable should I connect from the PC to the amp? I have a 2.1 speaker combo which goes from the subwoofer to the back of my PC.

Do I have to connect the subwoofer end to the amp? Because the miniplug that goes into my PC divides into 3 cables.. one for each speaker (2 satellites plus the subwoofer). Or maybe I have to leave that alone and throw something else from my computer and into the amp? Thanks
Last edited by Mannysz at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by Mannysz
Ok great And what cable should I connect from the PC to the amp? I have a 2.1 speaker combo which goes from the subwoofer to the back of my PC.

Do I have to connect the subwoofer end to the amp? Because the miniplug that goes into my PC divides into 3 cables.. one for each speaker (2 satellites plus the subwoofer). Or maybe I have to leave that alone and throw something else from my computer and into the amp? Thanks

You need to disconnect your 2.1 speaker and run a phono/phono lead straight from the speaker output on the PC into your amp ( Just think of it as using your amp as a big PC speaker, which you can also put a guitar through)
or just run a lead from your headphone socket in your pc to your amp's CD input
I like the Vox AmPlug headphone amps for applications like this. PC headphone out to the AmPlugs line-in, plug a set of headphones into the AmPlug and you're set.
Quote by rhettro
I like the Vox AmPlug headphone amps for applications like this. PC headphone out to the AmPlugs line-in, plug a set of headphones into the AmPlug and you're set.

Love my AC30 AmPlug to death. So tiny, great range of tones that actually sound good, and I don't even remember how much it cost but it was like 25 bucks or something. Great for the mobile rocker. Or the rocker with easily annoyed roommates.
guitar
amp

some pedals