For the past year or so, I've been playing bass with a pick because 1. it was easier, and 2. I liked the sound
Now that I've begun to really appreciate finger-style tone more, and the difference in articulation, I've slowly began phasing back into using my fingers (I used my fingers for three or four years prior to switching to a pick), and I've noticed that after a while of playing, I feel a strong ache in my right bicep. Is this something that is normal, or should I get this checked out by a doctor? I want to get the finger sound and feel again, but not at the cost of my ability to do what I love.

Additional information that may be of use: I play my jazz at a reasonable height, but the my Ibanez I wear sort of low, and for both I use a fairly aggressive attack
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
I'm not positive but it could be a flaw in your technique that is overworking the wrong muscles. You might want to brush up on some technique exercises. If your technique is good, it could be due to your muscles not being used to the finger style playing and so they're aching. I've had pain in my right arm before but its never been a constant thing. I'm not sure, but there's my advice.
I'm pretty sure its not my technique as I've taken lessons with a few incredible jazz/blues bassists, but its always a possibility. Any ideas as to what exercises I should be doing?
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
I'd just make sure your wrist is straight but with a slight curve. Your motion of picking is with your fingers and not your elbow or wrist. Make sure your fingers are picking in towards your palm and not outward.
If your technique is fine its probably just because you've been picking with a flat pick and your muscles aren't used to finger picking. They should grow and gain muscle memory as you use your fingers more, and the pain should go away.
If the pain is in your bicep, it is most likely caused by how you wear your bass. The higher up you wear it, the more of a bend you place in your elbow, and that results in more strain on your bicep muscle. Try changing the position of your bass on the strap.
aight, thanks y'all. i'll take it all into consideration
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
it will almost definitely help to stretch your arm out before playing. try holding your hand against a wall and then slowly turn to stretch out the muscle a bit before playing.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Never thought of that.....
Sounds good though
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Start pumping iron!

On a more serious note, double check technique of course. Does this pain occur both sitting and standing when playing bass?
^Yes, if it's pain from getting tired, yes, working out will help.