Here's my dilemma (well, a small one, but it could prove useful to others, as most of us are humans)

Call Of Duty came out last week, resulting in me not doing any practice whatsoever until yesterday... So I pick up the guitar and realise I sound horrible, I can't play very fast either (without making a total unholy mess of the song)

I have a music practical test on Friday, for which I'm playing Fuel by Metallica.
It's an easy enough song and i know, for the most part, all of the song (bar a small bit of the bridge, which I'm currently about to learn)

Have you any tips or advice for this situation?

And I hope this would help other people in similar situations.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Practice it? Where's the issue? You neglected to practice so you got a little worse. Practice to make up for it. There's no way around that in music.
Quote by KirkMetallica
Here's my dilemma (well, a small one, but it could prove useful to others, as most of us are humans)

Call Of Duty came out last week, resulting in me not doing any practice whatsoever until yesterday... So I pick up the guitar and realise I sound horrible, I can't play very fast either (without making a total unholy mess of the song)

I have a music practical test on Friday, for which I'm playing Fuel by Metallica.
It's an easy enough song and i know, for the most part, all of the song (bar a small bit of the bridge, which I'm currently about to learn)

Sell your xbox

figure out what's important in your life

^dedicate time to that.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 18, 2009,
Not playing for as little as a week isn't going to make you magically crap.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

Indeed. You were just as crap before the game came out.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Hell, I tend to play better after neglecting my guitar for a week or more. Then again, I never play video games anymore. D:
not practicing does make your playing worse. I notice if i neglect practice for 2 days i am not nearly as fast or as fluid until i practice a bit ( usually a warm up and an hour or two of practice) after which I am back on my game. so warm up, practice and prepare your piece. it should be self explanatory.
Quote by tehREALcaptain
not practicing does make your playing worse. I notice if i neglect practice for 2 days i am not nearly as fast or as fluid until i practice a bit ( usually a warm up and an hour or two of practice) after which I am back on my game. so warm up, practice and prepare your piece. it should be self explanatory.

I must just be a freak then. D:
Quote by AlanHB
Indeed. You were just as crap before the game came out.

sadly, i agree.

one week is nothing, some times i don't play for a week just to feel inspired again when I pick it up
Quote by steven seagull

I concur. It's either all in your head, or you already sucked.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by KirkMetallica

Suing Activision is the only way to go. It's obviously their fault.

Oh, hang on, Activision published Guitar Hero. Maybe they'll send you a copy as compensation. Then you'll kill at guitar.

Quote by freakstylez
Hell, I tend to play better after neglecting my guitar for a week or more. Then again, I never play video games anymore. D:

This happens to me too! Not that I play better, I just "forget" how I sound like and after a break I love my playing
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
I'm going to close this because it's a really silly topic, and not really relevant to music theory at all.

OP: Your skills have not changed. Perhaps you're just hearing yourself better now.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud