so ive been advised by my vocal teacher to switch to drop A tuning because it would work with my voice better. I noticed that it sounds really muddy when i tune that low... any tips on getting a good drop A tone?
the amp has to be able to handle that much bottom end. try tweaking the eq
R.I.P. Kurt Cobain 1967-1994
Firstly, make sure you have some suitable guage strings for it, for A you really need something over 60.

Also, perhaps Eq some of the bass out of your amp and add a bit more in the high mids, should remove some of the muddiness
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by chimpinatux
Firstly, make sure you have some suitable guage strings for it, for A you really need something over 60.

Also, perhaps Eq some of the bass out of your amp and add a bit more in the high mids, should remove some of the muddiness

Shit man, I dont think he needs that heavy a guage of strings, I tune to A# with .10 and get plenty of clarity. Mabey .11's, since I cant go past A# with .10's.

But the lower you tune, the more mids and treble you need to add. I think active pickups are much better for such low tunings, so that might help alot too.
Is anyone else totally confused by the vocal teacher suggesting this? Does he/she think you can only play certain keys in certain tunings?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Shit man, I dont think he needs that heavy a guage of strings, I tune to A# with .10 and get plenty of clarity. Mabey .11's, since I cant go past A# with .10's.

But the lower you tune, the more mids and treble you need to add. I think active pickups are much better for such low tunings, so that might help alot too.

Yeah, and if you're using .10's, your low strings are about 052. already (at least the ones I use are), and if you're using .011's, youre already very close to .60. I'd recommend to use .012 or even 0.13 for Drop A, you'll get more clarity and it will sound a lot fatter.
In regards to the tuning matching vocal range part... wtf Doesnt make a whole lot of sense really.

Its all about preference really, i would personally agree that a 60 gauge is an absolute minimum for the low A, but i reckon you could get away with using a set of 12's...thickest being a 56...maybe

All depends on what you like, maybe the baritone string sets might provide some more suitable gauges for you. I mean i run a 70/72 at B, so i would probably use a 76 or so at A personally.

Also yeah +1 to adding more mids, cutting gain and bass when detuning, helps retain a sense of clarity.
Last edited by hmmm_de_hum at Nov 18, 2009,
How low is your voice that you need to tune to drop A?

That's insane.

But yeah, less bass, more mids.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by DarkValo666
Yeah, and if you're using .10's, your low strings are about 052. already (at least the ones I use are), and if you're using .011's, youre already very close to .60. I'd recommend to use .012 or even 0.13 for Drop A, you'll get more clarity and it will sound a lot fatter.

I use standard sets, manily D'Addario and Elixers, so my Low E string is typicaly a .46 guage.
i recommend using a baritone guitar

if thats not an option get the thickest gauge of guitar strings you can find, the guy above me recommends 60's but i'd recommend a little thicker than that if you can find it. then have it professionally setup for that low of tuning. they're going to have to tweak the string height and intonation to get it to not flap in the wind.
I use a 60 to tension balance a 9s set... so 60 for A is really not much at all.

If your serious about this a baritone might be a good idea too
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Is anyone else totally confused by the vocal teacher suggesting this? Does he/she think you can only play certain keys in certain tunings?

Yeah, I agree, it doesn't make much sense that a person would only be able to sing in Drop A. I mean changing a key to accommodate a singer is fairly common, but drop A..... that's a bit extreme.

Quote by guitarmageddon0
so ive been advised by my vocal teacher to switch to drop A tuning because it would work with my voice better. I noticed that it sounds really muddy when i tune that low... any tips on getting a good drop A tone?

Does your vocal teacher play guitar?
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
or you could just play in the key of A.

^ +1

My guess though, is that it wouldn't be brootal enough. Like maybe his teacher is trying to accommodate his brootalness with the tuning or something.

That's the only logical reason I can think of for a teacher to suggest something like that.
shred is gaudy music
^ lulz thats what i figured too. im curious if the TS has tried just standard tuning in the key of A.
yea i tried standard tuning in the key of A and it didnt work for me cuz i like to have a lot of low notes to work with when i riff... im thinking im gonna save up for a seven stringcuz then i can drop A it, and still have higher notes to solo with
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

I guess if his guitar style involves lots of chugging on the 6th string, and his voice likes to sing in A, it might make some sense. He could also chug the 5th string (or capo at 5th fret), but maybe he doesn't like the way it sounds.