Why are amp heads so expensive in comparison to combo-amps? Check Musicianfriend and you can get 6505 head for $999, or get the combo version for $1199 and get 2 speakers. Check the VYPER head for $549 while the vyper combo amp $649. The same goes for all the other combo amps. Are speakers just so cheap that they don't affect the price that much. Just asking because if you already have a good amp, and you wanted to buy a second head, it just seems like your just better off buying the combo version. More bang for your buck. Anywho.. just wondering if anyone else noticed.
When you buy a combo, you're usually stuck wit hthe sound you get from it (if you're not changing the speakers). But with a head, you can buy any cab you like an this may change the sound dramatically. So you'll be more versatile with a head - or at least have the chance to become versatile.
Quote by DarkValo666
When you buy a combo, you're usually stuck wit hthe sound you get from it (if you're not changing the speakers). But with a head, you can buy any cab you like an this may change the sound dramatically. So you'll be more versatile with a head - or at least have the chance to become versatile.

This, plus heads/cabs are much more convenient than combos
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Combos are more expensive than heads because they come with a speaker cabinet attached; when you buy a head you also have to account for the extra cost of a seperate cabinet.
Amp heads are typically built better to handle the higher wattage and have alot more options built in to them than a combo, such as a quality output jack, ohm selection switch, etc. Plus, who doesnt want the portability of a head, I hate lugging my combo around, so I took the amp out of it and made it a head with a 112 cab.
a lot more designing, research, and testing (ie. money) goes into making the amp part than the speakers which are usually manufactured by speaker companies.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008