Pit i suffer from very low self confidence. Its odd, i shout out alot of school and generally muck about and become the centre of attention and im also seriously willing to stand up for my self (and have done before).

However like when im playing guitar or running (i train for the 100 and 200m) i get really nervous when my teacher or coach wants to see however when i come to like a running competition im fine.

Recently this guy all changed when this guy joined my guitar group and we did most playing together i was always fine when i had him with me and i thought this might explain how i am at school

To sum up i seem to get really nervous really easily when the attention is on me and im on my own, to the point where i dont enjoy life anymore
You just don't like performing by yourself by the sounds of it. When you're not alone you're fine so just like imagine you're not alone or something
"Don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining" - Wrex
sounds like 90% of the population
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Quote by Tedis1111
Pit i suffer from very low self confidence.
Post more often in The Pit. We can help you reach new lows.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by PrideDemon
You just don't like performing by yourself by the sounds of it. When you're not alone you're fine so just like imagine you're not alone or something

yeah but im worried about how much i rely on one person to be with me
i actually am the opposite. i'm usually very quiet in school and don't talk much, but i don't get nervous onstage. i actually play open mic type stuff for usually 30-50 people, and do yngwie malmsteen type unaccompanied shred solos. i even played at my high school talent show in front of several hundred people, and in the cafeteria during lunch and study. although i really don't like getting warmed up in front of people, not even at music stores when there are only a few people around.
Join a boxing gym. There is nothing better for confidence of any sort than learning how to fight. I box as a hobby and I see a lot of people come in that are of the nervous or socially awkward sort. A couple months later and that mindset is gone. And most of the people you will meet in boxing, professional or amateur are some of the nicest people around (There are always a few exceptions).
Just start thinking "I can do it" instead of "I can't do that!". I used to be insecure too when I was little, but I'm kind of beaming with self-confidence lately.
Quote by jfreyvogel
Join a boxing gym. There is nothing better for confidence of any sort than learning how to fight. I box as a hobby and I see a lot of people come in that are of the nervous or socially awkward sort. A couple months later and that mindset is gone. And most of the people you will meet in boxing, professional or amateur are some of the nicest people around (There are always a few exceptions).

i have actually heard this but can just boxing really have that much effect???
Your going to have to come up with something to calm you down and feel better. Everyone gets nervous and has certain things that help them relax. Just find something that works for you, and I don't mean drugs
Angus = god
Caffeine. It makes people more fun.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by technical death
....... thats all.

what that guy said is true.. just like 90% of the population

so 90% of the population are like me? Its pretty extreme even when its just my guitar teacher near.
Jump in the deep end. Get some good mates at the front then ****ing busk for a while. Brix will be shat. But, you'll get through it and BAM massive confidence boost.
Face your fear.

I am an old bastard, when I was at school I was TERRIFIED of getting up in front of people and talking. If there was a speech coming up in English class, I would be sweating buckets walking into English class WEEKS before the speech, just because I knew it was coming up. Then doing the presentation, my speech was completely flat and boring. I sucked, in all honesty.

Since the I have done plenty more of these types of activities and it actually forms a part of my job. Sure, I still get nervous now and then, but having faced the fear so many times and done so many presentations in the past my fear is nothing like it was.

So face your fears - the more you put yourself out there and under the spotlight the more comfortable you will become. It will take a little time but think of it as an investment.
Quote by TheQuailman
Solution: Get drunk! (Also get nekkid! *arms in the air* Weeeeeeeee!)

This sounds like the best solution.
Quote by Tedis1111
so 90% of the population are like me? Its pretty extreme even when its just my guitar teacher near.

Trust me, I'm like you, and I'm in COLLEGE for performance (of piano) so it really effects me lmao.

I know what you mean about the teacher. When he or she has high expectations, you worry yourself too much about meeting his expectations and don't think at all about all the things your doing correctly.

Sucks as well durring performance class when you have to get up in front of the other students of that teacher (my class is about... maybe 14 ppl?), perform, then you have to get critiqued by everyone in the room, talk about torture for people with performance anxiety! (but now that I'm used to it, its wearing off a little bit)

But, here are a few tips that my teacher gave to me that you could at least apply to guitar playing (idk about running though):
1. You are the expert at what your playing. You've spent hours practicing it, you know what you want to do and no one else does. if you make a mistake, 90% of the people won't recognize that you've even made one.

2. People (contrary to what we all believe) generally want you to do well, not a single person while your playing music is sitting over there thinking, "God, I hope he messes up!" (That is, unless your an overconfident douchebag who feels the need to show off, in that case... EVERYONE is thinking that when you play)

3. If a mistake happens, you can't go back and fix it (without making it painfully obvious that you've messed up) so why bother? Its in the past, so focus on what comes next. If you think of music as a mosaic and a couple little tiny specs fall off of it, does it ruin the picture? No! In all likelyhood, no one will even notice.

Anyways, I hope this helps at least a little.
i feel nervous about playing infront of my friends because i feel they have a high expectation for me and if i **** up then i'll never hear the end of it... but you should be fine
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Last edited by bass-man9712 at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by Tedis1111
i have actually heard this but can just boxing really have that much effect???

Yes. You would be amazed. And it works for many things. It does several things for you. It develops your body in ways that almost nothing else does, your movements become stronger, faster, and more fluid. That alone helps build your confidence. It also provides you with absolute accomplishments. This is to say that what you achieve you can see and feel and experience, unlike most things in which your accomplishments may be dubious (example. you write an essay for a class, part of your grade is based on the professors tastes in writing - that is unavoidable no matter how objective they try to be). And third, the amount of discipline required is astounding. This is why many people that are loud or violent before boxing become gentler and quieter after boxing for a while - there are always exceptions, tyson... It is for the same reason that you will lose that nervous mindset, there is simply no room for it.