I plan on building bass cab in the next few months and would like some suggestions.

I already have a 450W Behringer head I plan on using, which has a resistence raiting of 4Ohms.

I'm thinking of putting a 15" 300w for everything under about 400Hz, and a 10" 150w for everything above, but would there be a better speaker configuration to use? Maybe 2x12's, 3 10''s, a 12 and a 15? Also, what would be some reccomended dimensions for the box? Any idea's on specific speakers?
Whats a sig?
well, I'd suggest a different head, that company is known for making products that crap out before you hit a year, sometimes by catching things on fire.

also, having a little extra watt room is always really nice.

also, poorly built bass cabs fall apart fast. I'd copy a cab you like if I were you, maybe an SWR Triad?

good luck
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Sweet thanks. I know I have the skills to build the box, I've helped build box's for car stereo's before. All I hear about Behringer is either good, or terrible.

Could anyone suggest a different head, and maybe some speakers? I'm looking at using an Eminence Basslite S2010 10" and an Eminence Legend CB158 15" .
So I'm thinking of wiring both these 8 Ohm speakers into parallel to yield a resistance of 4 Ohms. And I'll steal the SWR Triad's dimensions. Lol. The Triad has a crossover point of 100Hz, is this the optimum point for a 15-10 config?

All help is greatly appreciated.
Whats a sig?
I love SWR's work, so for me it might be. Eminence makes great speakers, so does Celestion, if you desire a colored tone.

what kind of sound do you want?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

The 10"/15" combo is a winner. I would agree with what Humanity said. I have liked any of hte SWR stuff I have ever used. I am also a fan of Ampeg stuff.
The band I'm in is doing alot of Rise Against/Greenday style of punk. We're also doing some hair metal (Skid Row), but I'm looking for lots of bass, more mids, and little treble. I figure the 15" will be plenty of lows, and the low mids while the 10 will take care of the higher mids and whatever treble I may need.

So can anyone recommend a 450w amp head? This Behringer I have supposedly has a bad rep. :-P
Whats a sig?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

And much, much cheaper. Price is definitely a factor here, unfortunately. Thanks a ton Humanity. Would you by chance know the name of the spray on coating that is put on the outside of amps/cabs (much like the coating on the Ampeg)? I don't want fur, it gets nasty imo. I was thinking of going to a local truck customization shop and getting them to spray the coating they put in the bed of pickup's, but it might be cheaper to buy a can of coating.
Whats a sig?
Last edited by Oheric at Nov 18, 2009,
The fabric-stuff on the outside of the amp is called Tolex.
If you were hoping on doing an Ampeg Copy, check out TubesandMore.com
They have the Front Panel fabric. 2 colours. Both the green, and blue colours.
They also have the original Ampeg logo.

I plan on making an 8x10" Cab to go along with my 1977 Ampeg VT-40 4x10" combo.
It's a shame they don't make guitar amps much anymore.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by Oheric
And much, much cheaper. Price is definitely a factor here, unfortunately. Thanks a ton Humanity. Would you by chance know the name of the spray on coating that is put on the outside of amps/cabs (much like the coating on the Ampeg)? I don't want fur, it gets nasty imo. I was thinking of going to a local truck customization shop and getting them to spray the coating they put in the bed of pickup's, but it might be cheaper to buy a can of coating.

tolex?

I work with the truck bed lining for a living- it might mess with the resonance a bit, being a rubber variant, but it will add a lot, lot lot of strength.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Not Tolex, but the gritty coating that Peavey used on their Peavey Backstage Chorus 208. I want to give the cab a gritty, powerful look to match the feel. That material reminds me of a truck's bed.

And I don't want people to think I have an Ampeg by using their logo's and such, I could see why someone might, but I'm too much of a straightforward person. I'll just tell someone I built it if they ask, hopefully it'll be something to be proud of.

But that brings up another matter that I haven't even began to think about, a grill. Thanks Timbit, and if anyone could suggest one I'm definitely open to suggestions (on anything, I'm not going to pretend to know anymore than anyone else on these forums).

OHedit: Maybe, just maybe it's Tolex, but it's the roughest Tolex I've ever seen.
Whats a sig?
Last edited by Oheric at Nov 18, 2009,
use a bright red tablecloth.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
use a bright red tablecloth.

Maybe something like this?
Whats a sig?
If you are going to be gigging this thing, I would use something sturdier than fabric. Use a metal grill, standard amp grill cloth, or look into vinyl screen material like for house windows.

On the head, I wouldn't advise you to go out and buy a Behringer, but if you already have it and it sounds okay, you might as well stick with it to give yourself more time to save money for a replacement.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by Oheric
Maybe something like this?

yeah! maybe put it over a metal grille cloth, but that'd be awesome.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Not sure, but I think I remember seeing a Grill like a tablecloth on TubesandMore.com
Correct me if I'm wrong.
..I was watching my death.
I've kind of changed my mind as far as copying that Triad goes. I want to set the 10" over the 15", and separate them inside the box.

OHedit: The 15" has a reccomended Enclosure volume of 1.9-5.6 cu. ft. The 10" has a reccomended Enclosure volume of .7-1.8 cu. ft.

So that means that each individual space needs to have the reccomended volume for each speaker (I believe). So I'll technically build 2 boxes and stack them ontop of each other.

The bottom box for the 15" will be 34" (height) x 24" (width) x 12" (depth) which is equivalent to 5.66 cu. ft. The top box for the 10" will be 12" (height) by 22" (width) by 12" (depth) which is equivalent to 1.83 cu. ft.

I'll post a drawing of my idea's later on in the day, I'm at school and will finish working em up on graphing paper.
Whats a sig?
Last edited by Oheric at Nov 19, 2009,