Page 1 of 2
So Pit monkeys has America slowly started to use the metric system or are they still using the imperial system?
The metric system makes sense. I mean, sure it's arbritary as the next measurement system, but at least it seperates things into 'sensible' round numbers, e.g. 1000 grams in a kilogram. Ounces to pounds to stones doesn't really make any sense, where did they pull those numbers from in the first place.
Quote by metalh3ad88
Get your fancy European ideas away!

We will never conform to your ways! NEVER!!!

Even though we also invented the imperial system?
Quote by Nietsche
Couldn't you have just googled for the answer?

Google is evil, I never google anything.
SI is where it's at.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
i only use the metric system when im buyin bud
“I am 100 percent in favor of the intelligent use of drugs, and 1,000 percent against the thoughtless use of them, whether caffeine or LSD. And drugs are not central to my life.”

-Dr. Timothy Leary
Quote by myevilside
Even though we also invented the imperial system?

I LOL'd hard
Quote by deathdrummer
Google is evil, I never google anything.

You mean you don't use google.......for political and moral reasons?

*badumtish*
It would cost too much money to convert. There are a lot people in non-technical positions in plants that would not understand the metric numbers easily. It would cost to change all the meters and equipment. It would cost to train people in the new system.
Quote by hsteve3
It would cost too much money to convert. There are a lot people in non-technical positions in plants that would not understand the metric numbers easily. It would cost to change all the meters and equipment. It would cost to train people in the new system.

Other countries have went through the change and are better for it, no reason American has to be different.

EDIT: Also this
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Quote by hsteve3

i dont even know if what you say is accurate... but you convinced me...

Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs
Other countries have went through the change and are better for it, no reason American has to be different.

how is a country better off switching to a new system? thats like saying we would be better off agreeing on the pronunciation of the word Tomato
“I am 100 percent in favor of the intelligent use of drugs, and 1,000 percent against the thoughtless use of them, whether caffeine or LSD. And drugs are not central to my life.”

-Dr. Timothy Leary
Last edited by eL SeaweeD at Nov 18, 2009,
Do you Americans use your obscure units of measurement when you do physic calculations too?

Or do you use the SI units, which are metric?
I am a postmodern vegetarian, I eat meat ironically.
i really hope it changes eventhough it costs money, but we can start with little things, instead of saying in the internet:

My penis is 10 inches

you cans start chaning and say:

My penis is 30cm
Quote by hsteve3

Hey dude i work in the mining industry and we get a sh*t load of american equipment that still uses the imperial system. I am just saying we have to use both metric and imperial when we are fixing them.
Quote by Toolshed#9
Do you Americans use your obscure units of measurement when you do physic calculations too?

I think they use imperial units in physics. I've seen it. It was horrible.
The thing that is confusing is the god damn imperial system with its damn stones and sticks and whatever... I find it shocking that a civilized country still uses it.

The metric system just makes more sense, you know. 1 meter = 100 centimeter (and centi means 1/100 in latin or something for you uneducated lot) and so on... Do you seriously use the imperial system when doing math and stuff as well?

Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs

WTF... It's not even supposed to work, the SI units were set for a reason
Last edited by GustavLW at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by Nietsche

*badumtish*

ummm........I actually google something i shouldnt have and i got banned from use it, I think i type in "What is the meaning of life?" and something bad happened.
me and the metrics dont get along...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Toolshed#9

If it's in imperial or whatever they will usually make us convert it. A lot of the basic rules and givens are in metric anyway so..
Quote by Mr_Jubby_Jubs

How does that even work with most formulas?
I am a postmodern vegetarian, I eat meat ironically.
Quote by Toolshed#9
How does that even work with most formulas?

Awkwardly, I'd wager.
I agree a standard would be easier. I was just stating the reasons it hasn't changed.

I'm an engineering student and we're mostly taught in metric. However, they do give a few problems in the english system so we know what the numbers are supposed to look like. The metric system is easy, but there are always difficulties when converting.

Think of all the pressure gauges and other equipment in our plants. There are millions of items. If I replaced broken pressure gauges with metric ones, then there would be a percentage of equipment that would have different readings that would make no sense to the maintenance workers and even engineers.
'm in the US and I know that metric is better and they do teach it in the schools here. but as people have said is that equipment and stuff needs to be changed, and americans are stupid (if they don't know the metric system) and we don't really have a great economy over here right now...

EDIT: ^ Beaten to it...

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by hsteve3
Think of all the pressure gauges and other equipment in our plants. There are millions of items. If I replaced broken pressure gauges with metric ones, then there would be a percentage of equipment that would have different readings that would make no sense to the maintenance workers and even engineers.

I'm assuming engineers aren't retarded and will convert the numbers instead of standing infront of this new magic system and scratching their heads like confused bonobo monkeys.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Nietsche

*badumtish*

Oh no you didn't!
We NEVER used the Imperial system in science, even in elementary school. I really don't understand why we don't make the switch, yeah it would be hard for some people to switch over but in the end it would be better in every way.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
even basic physics doesn't work in metric very easily

speed[m/s]=distance[m]/time

speed[mph]=distance[yards]/time * 1/1760 * 3600

the second one makes so little sense in comparison!
As for the cost debate: America wastes literally millions of man hours of labour time every year on unit conversion and mistakes are made too. A huge multimillion dollar nasa telescope was launched in 5 different section only for it to be discovered the mirrors was misaligned due to an error in unit conversion. It cost millions of $ to fix and remains the most accurate mistake in history.
(the mirror was out by something like 1.000000000 inches)
Quote by actaderock
i really hope it changes eventhough it costs money, but we can start with little things, instead of saying in the internet:

My penis is 10 inches

you cans start chaning and say:

My penis is 30cm

So using metric makes your penis grow 4.6 cm? Where can I sign up? Unless of course you managed to find a ruler that was only precise to every 10 inches and had to round up due to significant digits.
even basic physics doesn't work in metric very easily

speed[m/s]=distance[m]/time

speed[mph]=distance[yards]/time * 1/1760 * 3600

the second one makes so little sense in comparison!
As for the cost debate: America wastes literally millions of man hours of labour time every year on unit conversion and mistakes are made too. A huge multimillion dollar nasa telescope was launched in 5 different section only for it to be discovered the mirrors was misaligned due to an error in unit conversion. It cost millions of $ to fix and remains the most accurate mistake in history.
(the mirror was out by something like 1.000000000 inches)

That's human error; i.e. an idiot couldn't grasp metric. Which is incredible, for someone working for Nasa.
Quote by Kensai
I'm assuming engineers aren't retarded and will convert the numbers instead of standing infront of this new magic system and scratching their heads like confused bonobo monkeys.

Well based on what I know from the people at my school, Americans would probably do just that. (Although I get it, I still love monkeys)

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by Kensai

I don't bring my magic converter in the unit because it might start a fire. The intrinsically safe converter costs too much money. Due to the errors mentioned in conversion, I won't want to make those conversions in my head with the health of a million dollar compressor on the line.
Quote by Mazzakazza
The metric system makes sense. I mean, sure it's arbritary as the next measurement system, but at least it seperates things into 'sensible' round numbers, e.g. 1000 grams in a kilogram. Ounces to pounds to stones doesn't really make any sense, where did they pull those numbers from in the first place.

Seems to be a common misconception among UKers. We don't actually use stones in America. I have never seen it used once in my life. I actually learned what a stone was because of a Brit complaining here on UG about how dumb america was for using stones.
Page 1 of 2