Right, so I currently have two guitars, an Ibanez GRG170DX and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. My amp is a Line 6 Spider III 15 Watt (which i hate and want to sell and replace asap!).

I'm in a band and we're going for a sort of pop punk sound. I'm assuming the les paul would be the best guitar for me to use, but what sort of amp settings do I want? I'm thinking I want a similar sort of sound to paramore, but slightly heavier. And should I change the pickups, I currently have the standard ones that come with the guitar.

Any other advice anyone could offer me would be great, e.g. any suggestions on what amp I could get to replace my Line 6, on the basis of a £100 spend max.

Thanks In Advance!
Well pop punk is kind of a twangy (slightly) distortion, but heavier you'll get rid of the twanginess. So you got the right guitar, and pups. But....
You have the wrong amp, that is kinda obvious.
Just crank up the gain and treble, give about just a bit past half of bass and put the mids pretty high, about 6 o'clock or 7.... And then fiddle about from there.
Remember, its not the tone, its what your playing that defines the genre.
yeh, thanks for advice, any suggestions on what amp I could get that would be much better? I'm either gna get another 15W or go up to a 30W, but probably won't be able to afford that for a while.
Save your money, dont get another 15w....

For Punk/Pop id suggest Marshall or Peavey.
Well whatever it is, make sure its tube. See I'm not into playing this genre so I'm sorry I can't help there... but look at some demo's on the internet, try some shops, and eventually you will get something good. If you want something for JUST practise, a Roland Cube, which is awesome if you stretch it out a bit, but the cleans are a bit awful.
I was only thinking of another 15W so my mum doesn't complain at the noise level, are 30W's good quality when quiet enough to use without my mum complaining?

and psycho, any particular models that come to mind?
Gear:
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Line 6 Spider III (looking to replace)
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
id defiantly go up to a 30 watt if possible. i thinkin your price is around $200 and that would get you a good amp for the size. id get the bigger amp because with a band, stage performance is always important. and you can always turn down your amps but its imortant to hear everybody.
i play metal so i cant really help on brands or anything but id say guitar wise a les paul or a strat. amp wise id say maybe a marshall if you can find one for the price. used equitment works good too
thanks for the advice, i do play some metal aswell on my ibanez, but my band needs to be my focus so i wna get whats best for that. and im not 100% on currency rates but i think $200 is around £160, which is out of my price range, but this time next year i should have a full time job and will most likely be blowing my money on new equipment, a better amp and hopefully a Fender Telecaster
Gear:
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
When you get that job, head and cab is the professional view, although extremely, and pointlessly, expensive. A combo could cost £100 more than the head, and minus your need of the cab.

I also wanna add, that guy that recommended Marshall, they are half the price (usually) when over a year old. But always demo first, they could be dodgy and cause you to spend an extra £200 to fix it (minimum damage usually as well).
Last edited by Banana Wedgie at Nov 18, 2009,
oh and, slightly nooby question, but i dont really know wot amps are tube amps and what arent, and what the difference really is, can anyone enlighten me?
Gear:
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Well tube is the classic method of making amps. Solid state was brought in, somebody told me, around the 70s and 80s, and the solid state amps were more reliable, well now they are anyway. Alot of them back then would run out of power, but the point is that they have unlimited power, when Tube use tubes that must be replaced when they start running out.
I don't know, really, I have never had long term experience with one, but in a store, I used a Dean V, Esp Strat, Esp ltd alexi 600, Jackson RR5, Gibson Explorer, Ibanez S and an Ibanez RG (H-S-H) on a tube Peavey...
Each sounded amazing!
alright cool, thanks for all the advice mate, much appreciated!
Gear:
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
TBH unless you get a deal or strike gold or inherit some rich buggers cash you're not going to get any major improvement for your tone. Just wait it out until you can afford something like the Orange Tiny Terror or Vox Night train or any of the other low watts tube amps.
bump
Gear:
Ibanez GRG 170DX
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Amp Brands don't really matter, Tom Delonge from Blink uses a Mesa Dual Rectifer. So it goes to show you can do anything. Now for Pop Punk, if your'e willing to stretch over you're limit I'd suggest an Orange tiny Terror.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah