Hey UG

I know this doesn't really apply to guitar so much but I wanted to pick your brain about an issue. My band wants to figure out a way to use bass drops live. Obviously we know there are drum pad midi controllers that will do the job just fine but the only ones we can find that are worth a crap a like 500 bucks and our drummer is still in high school and has no money. The easiest way I can think would be to put the 808 files on an ipod and just have someone press play when we need be but a lot of the places we play are really dumb about letting other people behind the mix board.

Got any ideas that a relatively cheap and easy to use live?
thanks in advance
Bass drops? Like 'boom?' Hide a small asian boy under the stage with a hammer and a coconut?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Bass drops? Like 'boom?' Hide a small asian boy under the stage with a hammer and a coconut?

yea like a subwoofer hit...like you'd hear in a rap song just nowhere near a prominent, it just gives some emphasis at key, hard hitting parts
Why not just have your bassists literally drop his string?

Edit: My apologies, you ment bass boom. I think youd need like a beast subwoofer set up and what not but im not sound professional so i wouldnt know.
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
Last edited by Bassmastajazzyj at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by Bassmastajazzyj
Why not just have your bassists literally drop his string?

We've tried technique under the sun trying to emulate it but nothing has that BOOM that we want. The subwoofers are all in house PA's at venues we play so we don't need that.
Last edited by zhunt1130 at Nov 18, 2009,
A cheap used drum machine such as the Alesis sr-16 might be a possibility- I got mine for 50.
^Doesn't have electronic drum sounds, and has no 808 sounds at all.

1)The simplest way will be to get a cheapish drum machine which has 808 squelches and electronic drum sound, and get a midi drum pad.

2)You could get a drum machine with the sounds you want, and then programme all the right beats in to it, and get a couple of footswitches so one of you can control them live. Programming drum beats just how you want is a ****ing long process.

These presume someone has a laptop capable of such things:
3) Use a programme to process your beats, and then play them on a laptop. Not completely sure how this would work tbh.

4) Get a drum programme on a laptop which means you can use a midi pad plugged in and used live.

If you can't afford to do 1, you could try 2, and then save up for a midi pad later on, I guess. But the midi pad + drum machine is definitely easiest and would be best imo. Band politics could prove important to see if you're all willing to go in together and buy the gear.
Last edited by ze monsta at Nov 18, 2009,
What about a keyboard with Midi?
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
^ that would work perfectly if we had a keyboardist, but we don't...we'd really like to have our drummer handle all that bc the rest of us are too busy going nuts during the songs haha
The band After the Burial uses a Boss Loop Station with the bass drop loaded on and just hits the pedal after time they want it to play. Pretty cheap compared to most drum modules.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2