Ok, so judging by the title, you know what I want. I play Grindcore, however I also like to use cleans here and there, and like a bluesy distorted tone for solos. So yeah, anybody got any clues? No EMGs, and avoid Dimarzios, I don't know any local places that sell them. DO NOT SUGGEST A NEW AMP/GUITAR.

If you answer with anything constructive, thanks.
Are the DiMarzio X2N avoid? You could always order online y'know. Those are highgain, and on a cleaner setting, they will have a really crunch blues tone.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Duncan's are a solid go to pickup for most styles as they make so many. I don't recall exactly which ones are high gain but there aren't just two...they have a few. I have an Invader in my Jackson and it rocks. I wont suggest a new amp but a Roland Cube may not be the best for what you do...just saying, sorry bro.
with your situation...its like driving an 18 wheeler with a little car engine, and your just trying to change the tires...
Yeah go with duncan. maybe '59's
“I am 100 percent in favor of the intelligent use of drugs, and 1,000 percent against the thoughtless use of them, whether caffeine or LSD. And drugs are not central to my life.”

-Dr. Timothy Leary
See, I am saving up for a new amp, but my amp gets the job done. But I need better pickups, but perhaps just the bridge 'cause the neck has got alot of bass.
And in England, its hard finding places that don't steal from you that actualy sell DiMarzios.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Ok, so judging by the title, you know what I want. I play Grindcore, however I also like to use cleans here and there, and like a bluesy distorted tone for solos. So yeah, anybody got any clues? No EMGs, and avoid Dimarzios, I don't know any local places that sell them. DO NOT SUGGEST A NEW AMP/GUITAR.

If you answer with anything constructive, thanks.

I don't think I like you...

First off, Roland Cube isn't going to help much. So new amp would probably be useful.
But the LTD you could work with. Seymour Duncan '59s is probably the route you would wanna go.

Actually take a look at the humbuckers onhere.

EMGs wouldn't accomplish what you want anyways. I've had a hard time try to get a good clean tone from EMG's. They are for metal first and foremost.
DiMarzio's on the other hand, have quite a bit of versatility. If you can't find them in a local shop, look online.

EDIT: Damn it. Everyone already jumped the Duncan shark. Or maybe I did. Idk.
Last edited by huevos at Nov 18, 2009,
Amazing pickups, maybe check out the warpig
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Don't know why you are avoiding Dimarzios, their Super Distortion humbuckers are legendary.
The amp is going to make more of a difference than new pickups. However, I will still make some suggestions on pickups anyway for you.

I haven't tried Bareknuckles, but people on here rave about them, and you can probably get a better deal on them over in the UK, so I'd check those out.

DiMarzio's can be an option too, if you're willing to order online. As far as Duncan goes, the Duncan Distortion/'59 combo would probably be right up your alley.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Thanks, I'm considering the Bareknuckle pups, probably the Warpig...
Also though, I might give the Duncan Distortion and 59 a go.
See I am saving up for a new amp, but my guitar has okay pickups but struggle to get usable cleans out of them, but I know a valve amp will kill that problem.
the SD dimebucker i think would do well for Nile-Ithyphallic like tones. when i split the coils, i get rage against the machine tones through my crate. its such a nasty sound that could easily be EQed for blues too.

are you going for Rotten Sound type tones or something a bit more clear like The Faceless or some Origin?

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

For the distortion part, I do like a Nile-ish tone.
I don't play Grindcore or blues, but I want a grindcore tone with melodeath solos in bluesy tone and the odd clean.
I ask alot I know...
How is your ltd fx with the Dimebucker/Full Shred combo for distortion? I might ditch the bluesy solos if I have to...
i can get a bluesy lead tone with the full shred, similar to when john petrucci uses his neck pup. that and the dimebucker makes for a weird combination. its good, dont get me wrong, its just that i had to upgrade the pups in my 1/2-1 step down gtr and this is what i had lying around.

i thought you were playing grind but you just want that tone? if you arent tuning down at least a step and half, you're better off going with a different bridge pup. this ones fine up high but i think its best suited for C# or lower. in a recent thread, some guy was raving about SD alternative 8, saying it was extremely underrated.

i definitely recommend the full shred for a very clear, smooth, bluesy tone, and its got enough bass, it will do your odd cleans very well.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by Banana Wedgie
I play Grindcore,

Quote by Banana Wedgie
I don't play Grindcore

I like where this thread is going.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
but I want a grindcore tone with melodeath solos in bluesy tone and the odd clean.

Well... what exactly are you calling grindcore? That'll give us a better idea of the sort of tone you want.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Nov 19, 2009,
Nobody seems to get that I am playing a completley weird and nameless genre, its like Carcass switching between songs from Necrotism and then Heartwork, but with an bluesy solo tone on the Heartwork solos, and occasional cleans.
Then I need all distortion for the Necrotism song that comes after.
Basically just picture all of Michael Amott's work, with more distortion, but with bluesy solos. Actualy, what pups does he use?
No offense, but seriously... upgrading pickups in any guitar with the amp you have would be a waste of money. Also, buying a new set of pickup with the guitars you have would be a waste of money, go on Harmony-Central and find a good set of used pickups, and you'll be good to go, IMO putting a set of BKPs in a $450 guitar is blasphemy.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Actually, the Bareknuckles may be worth looking into. I've heard a lot of great things about them and they have a variety of pickups for different styles. Not sure how'd you go about trying them before buying, just to play safe and all. I know I'm biased but I can't help but to think Duncan's would work well...say a '59 in the neck and a high output pickup like the Distortion/Invader/Full Shred and stuff like that.

EDIT: High output in the bridge although I'm sure you already knew....I'm dumb.
Last edited by celticstorm84 at Nov 19, 2009,