So i got pulled over by a cop today and ended up with a $75 ticket. He asked me how fast I was going, and i said 62-63. He told me it was more like 73, which is completely wrong. So anyways, he ticketed me for 73 in a 55, and wrote on the ticket admitted to 63. It was the first time ive been pulled over in the 4 years ive been driving, so I kind of expected a warning, but instead he screwed me over by saying i was over 70. I'm gonna try to fight it, so I have a choice of pleading innocent or guilty, but I dont know what to do.

In one sense, I admitted to speeding, so im guilty of that. But i was not near the speed he listed, so i feel im innocent of that part.
just pay it, you're gonna lose anyway if you fight it
I'M A COWBOY
Quote by EuBoat
What was the limit where you were driving?

the limit was 55. I live in illinois, so i think the reckless driving law is 20mph but im not sure. Ive pretty much accecpted the fact that ill have to pay the ticket, but I am hoping to get court supervision so it can be taken off my record, and whether or not i get that could depend on 63 or 73...
Quote by EuBoat
What was the limit where you were driving?

Read the OP, he said it there.

I can't see you winning the case, plead guilty.
your speedo is probaly wrong. He will win, you have no grounds to argue.
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
go to court plead your case and try to get them to reduce the speeding penalty. Depending on where you live you could get a prayer for judgement or get the speeding reduced so it doesn't put points on your insurance.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Lucky you... Just this year I've gotten two tickets. One for 67 in a 45 (thought the limit was 55 where I was at) and another for 75 in a 55 (speed trap on the highway. Limit went from 65 to 55 and I didn't notice the sign). Each ticket was about $160....

Just pay it man. $75 is CHEAP for that.
Quote by Mazzakazza
If he had a speed gun, then he has evidence, and you're wasting your time. Do you know if he has?

But pretty much - you sped, pay the fine and deal with it.

I know in Australia at least, speed guns aren't 100% truthful, and can be dismissed in court.

Although it is a lot harder to fight a fine for a dashboard speed camera than it is one of those stationary speed cameras I belive.

And if your speedo is off you may be able to get away with a lesser penalty, my mum got a ticket once, and when she took the mechanics note for her speedo being out she got the penalty dropped.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
what exactly are you basing your claim on? is your sense of speed better than his? It's opinion vs opinion at best for you. But there's always the possibility that he has a radar gun or his vehicle camera is calibrated to his speed.

contest it if you want, but I can't see you getting much.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I throw the word, "Idiot" around a lot..But, I think this suits TS perfectly.

No offense, of course...But, don't argue with cops about stupid things. Frankly, you should know better if you've been driving for 4 years.
If you can make it to court go, If he does'nt show up you win. And make sure you ask if he is up to date on all of his qualification's and tests and can prove it with paperwork. If not you will win this case.....
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Quote by Jesstaa
I know in Australia at least, speed guns aren't 100% truthful, and can be dismissed in court.

Although it is a lot harder to fight a fine for a dashboard speed camera than it is one of those stationary speed cameras I belive.

And if your speedo is off you may be able to get away with a lesser penalty, my mum got a ticket once, and when she took the mechanics note for her speedo being out she got the penalty dropped.

Radar guns are often off. But most cops these days are using laser guns, which are 100% dead on. There's no fighting a laser...
Quote by guns_rosesldb
the limit was 55. I live in illinois, so i think the reckless driving law is 20mph but im not sure. Ive pretty much accecpted the fact that ill have to pay the ticket, but I am hoping to get court supervision so it can be taken off my record, and whether or not i get that could depend on 63 or 73...
You're buggered.

stratkat
Quote by guns_rosesldb

God, Illinois has the WORST fucking drivers in the country. So that's your problem.

I swear. Today, I saw this jackass driving like a moron in my town, swerving into the other lane and crap like 200 feet ahead, and I made a joke about how how he was probably from Illinois.

Came to a stop sign, sure enough... Illinois plate.

Seriously though, just pay the fine.
Quote by severed-metal
I throw the word, "Idiot" around a lot..But, I think this suits TS perfectly.

No offense, of course...But, don't argue with cops about stupid things. Frankly, you should know better if you've been driving for 4 years.

I dont think im such an idiot. its entirely possible for him to have clocked me at the speed i believe i was going and he just raised it to see how i would react or if i would admit to it. He could just be trying to get a higher fine on me. Cops have to reach a ticket quota, and like us, they are human. if they have a chance to get more than they expect, they will. and i didnt mean it that ive been driving 4 years so i know best. ive never been pulled over or anything and i have a clean record, so most cops in this situation are willing to let a few mph over the limit slide the first time.
Quote by MetalUpYourRear
Radar guns are often off. But most cops these days are using laser guns, which are 100% dead on. There's no fighting a laser...

the ticket says radar
Quote by Msu_Man04
God, Illinois has the WORST fucking drivers in the country. So that's your problem.

I swear. Today, I saw this jackass driving like a moron in my town, swerving into the other lane and crap like 200 feet ahead, and I made a joke about how how he was probably from Illinois.

Came to a stop sign, sure enough... Illinois plate.

Seriously though, just pay the fine.

yea sounds like a cool story. nice stereotype too
Quote by guns_rosesldb
yea sounds like a cool story. nice stereotype too

Thank you.

Yeah well, you fit it, you were breaking the law. So just pay the fine and get it over with. It's only $75. Better than hundreds.

Nice triple post by the way.