I am just trying to get some info on pickups and how they can affect tone.

I am wondering, for heavier music (as i lay dying, parkway drive) are EMG 81s a good choice for the bridge pickup?

What about the neck pickup? I dont often use my neck pickups but could you hypothetically use EMG 81s in the bridge pickup for a heavy and thick distorted sound, then switch to the neck pickup for cleaner but still distorted solos? Or something to that effect? =s

thanks if anyone knows what im trying to ask, and can provide some info =)
emg 81 is pretty much the staple metal pickup. being a "staple" also means its not very unique, but it gets the job done, and well. a good neck partner to the 81 for cleans and distorted rhythms would be the emg 60.

just make sure you have room in your guitar cavities for the preamp and a 9v battery. (preamp is about the size of a double stack pot, just not round)
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
emg 81 is pretty much the staple metal pickup. being a "staple" also means its not very unique, but it gets the job done, and well. a good neck partner to the 81 for cleans and distorted rhythms would be the emg 60.

just make sure you have room in your guitar cavities for the preamp and a 9v battery. (preamp is about the size of a double stack pot, just not round)

ok thanks, this is because you have to change the battery? How often must you change it? and how do you go about doing this?

Thanks again
i think the batteries last on emgs for about 6 months if played an hour or so a day. i think thats what EMG says anyway...

its as simple as unclipping one, and reclipping another one. but if u put the battery under the pickup, ull have to take the strings off and its a whole production everytime. if u put it in the control cavity, u just have to remove whatever cover plate is on that.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC