what does everyone think of these 2 guitars? how are the pickups? Pros and cons of each?

Thanks for any feedback
Hi.
I owned an S470FM (same thing but flame maple instead of quilted maple) for 10 years only recently sold to finance a Les paul.
Great guitar, good neck, nice light body, stays in tune perfectly. Not a lot of sustain due to the floyd rose and the standard pickups are ok, but upgrade the pickups to some nice seymour duncans or DiMarzio & the thing will sing with gorgeous tone.
Quote by AlexAngus
Hi.
I owned an S470FM (same thing but flame maple instead of quilted maple) for 10 years only recently sold to finance a Les paul.
Great guitar, good neck, nice light body, stays in tune perfectly. Not a lot of sustain due to the floyd rose and the standard pickups are ok, but upgrade the pickups to some nice seymour duncans or DiMarzio & the thing will sing with gorgeous tone.

^Agreed. I have an Ibanez S470DXQM and I like it very much. It plays great, sounds great and is solidly built. The only change I've made to it is to install Schaller strap locks.
Until you get to the 3xxx range of RGs you aren't going to get anything terribly satisfactory in the way of pickups. It's a similar situation with the S'.

I've always felt that Ibanez only put pickups in their guitar so you could try them out through an amp before buying one. The real magic happens when you decide on a good set of DiMarzio's (or whatever your tastes will cause you to buy) to replace the stock junk with.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Until you get to the 3xxx range of RGs you aren't going to get anything terribly satisfactory in the way of pickups. It's a similar situation with the S'.

I've always felt that Ibanez only put pickups in their guitar so you could try them out through an amp before buying one. The real magic happens when you decide on a good set of DiMarzio's (or whatever your tastes will cause you to buy) to replace the stock junk with.

agreed, ergo i modified the pick up on all of my guitars except for the Egen18.
My Guitar and gear:
09 Ibanez S prestige
09 Ibanez RG prestige
09 Ibanez Egen18
09 Ibanez 7 string UV custom
Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
digitec rp1000
Randall T2 HH all tube head
Vox Ac30 all tube heads
Randall RS412XL cabs
Quote by ch0

Yup, no pickup is perfect for everyone. Ibanez knows this so they put cheap ones in the guitars so you're not spending extra on something you're going to change anyway. And Dimarzio has great customer service and a great replacement program so you'll be able to find the perfect pickup easily and you can just replace it if you don't like it.

I do have to admit that the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups in the higher end RGs (RG2xxx and up) in the last few years are great. It's unfortunate that they stopped using those custom Dimarzios in place of the standard Air Norton and Tone Zone on all of the RG Prestiges except the most expensive one.

But the RG1570 is better quality and comes with a case.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Nov 19, 2009,