Page 1 of 2
Alright, so Im gettin a new amp for christmas. Between $300-$400 if possible. Ive played a Vypyr 75 and I thought it was pretty sweet and I like the price, but I know that most people recommend tube amps. So if anyone could suggest me an amp it would be most appreciated =]

My gear right now:
Ibanez GRX20L
Dunlop ZW45 Crybaby

Bands I like:
Bullet For My Valentine, Atreyu, Escape The Fate, Blessthefall, As I Lay Dying, Coheed And Cambria, Avenged Sevenfold, Ocean Is Theory, The Devil Wears Prada, Emery, Chiodos, Alesana, Iwrestledabearonce, Bring Me The Horizon, and Van Halen.
Small wattage tube=bad choice for metal usually.

I'd go for a nice solidstate or moddeling amp.

How's your craigslist? If you can find like a flextone that'd be awesome

Go for the vyper 75 I think, great amp.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Blackstar Ht-5 is too expensive

Okay. I don't really know what Craigs List is lol (Dont flame at me please! I surrender! xD)
And yeah the Vypyr was really cool. Im seriously considering it.
Craigslist is like local listings for used things in general, it's really handy to be used gear you can get it cheap, especcialy around Xmas

If you can try to go to a guitar center, play like every amp you can afford or stretch to.

Tube is usually better tone wise, but your gonna need a little meat in a tube amp for great metal tones

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by westdyolf
Small wattage tube=bad choice for metal usually.

Why is it a bad choice?
You don't have all bass response or fullness, 20 tube watts, like a krank rev jr, is better than say a 5 watt amp, like the ht-5

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by False_God
Why is it a bad choice?

Most low wattage tube amps are made for blues and classic rock. The lower the wattage, the less headroom, and therefore the easier it is to overdrive the power tubes, which produces a creamy, thick, loose overdrive which is not ideal for metal (metal wants tight, punchy distortion which comes from preamp tubes.)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
a question? do you NEED an amp? if you are just going to use it for bedroom practice i would recommend a line 6 toneport and pod farm. awesome tones- like seriously- really good for only 200 bucks. thing is its a computer based resource, you edit your tones on your pc and play them through computer speakers. if you have a good sound system for your computer i would recommend that if you don't need a physical amp. it will sound a lot better and has tons of flexibility for lots of playing styles, has a built in tuner, and allows you to record. pretty awesome for only 200 bucks!
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
Quote by jordanzio
a question? do you NEED an amp? if you are just going to use it for bedroom practice i would recommend a line 6 toneport and pod farm. awesome tones- like seriously- really good for only 200 bucks. thing is its a computer based resource, you edit your tones on your pc and play them through computer speakers. if you have a good sound system for your computer i would recommend that if you don't need a physical amp. it will sound a lot better and has tons of flexibility for lots of playing styles, has a built in tuner, and allows you to record. pretty awesome for only 200 bucks!

Good points here. Especially if you're not gigging.
Yeah thats what I thought Craigs list was for. And I dont live near a GC

Okay so tubes are pretty much not a possibility for me then.
And I had a POD 2.0 but it broke when I moved. I REALLY would rather have an amp. I like playing with people and Im about to join a band.

I've been playing unplugged for the past month and a half. Its like going with out sex for a REALLY REALLY long time
I had to put this in...

Krank Rev Jr Pro?
Egnater Rebel 30
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I cant afford the junior Krank. Id love to though<3
How much is the Egnater?

And I cant save. This is for Xmas.
I don't think the Egnater can do metal. At least not the day I tried it.

Soooo, you're not allowed to have everyone pitch in for a GuitarCenter gift card or layaway downpayment?

what about a B52 AT60 for $370 (if you can find one)
Yeah I probably could get a GC card from each person Id get a gift from. Thats not a bad idea. Then Id have a large amount of $$ to buy a good amp.

I was checking out those B52s. But they're just too good to be true. Im pretty sure theyd suck with their 60 watt tube 380 prices lol
Really? Would it be a better choice that the Vypyr 75? && Im joining a band soon. Indie/alternative/emo sounding group. Would this amp work with a full band?
Quote by David1212
Yeah I probably could get a GC card from each person Id get a gift from. Thats not a bad idea. Then Id have a large amount of $$ to buy a good amp.

I was checking out those B52s. But they're just too good to be true. Im pretty sure theyd suck with their 60 watt tube 380 prices lol

Actually... they are pretty decent from the reviews around... can't say fer sure though... I've no hands no experience with them.

With the Egnater... you'd need to crank it... or OD it. I'd recommend an OD if you still want your hearing.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I've seen in reviews the ones that arent duds are good. But it seems they have a high failure rate =\
^don't bump like that. The bump rule is 24 hours. Just use the EDIT function.

The Vypyrs have built in effects and such.
The Vypyr 60 and 120 have a power tube section which to me sounds better.
The rest of the Vypyrs are all solid state and they are alright.
The B52 AT is All Tube and has no effects outside of reverb.

I think you will have a hard time finding the B52 so the Vypyr 60 is my vote after that.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 18, 2009,
the best advice I can give you, is to avoid solid state amps and try to get hold of a tube amp.

Vacuum tubes provide much more natural, smoother, dynamic and musical characteristics.
OKay. Thanks. The tone I'd really like to achieve is a sound similar to that of a Bogner Uberschall. However, those cost a couple grand just for the head.

Holy crap. That B-52 AT 60 amp sounds tight on these videos :O
Last edited by David1212 at Nov 19, 2009,
Okay. So Im down to two choices. The B-52 At 60 112 and the Peavey Vypyr 75. Any more suggestions?
When he said dont bump, its also the same as double posting within 24 hours. i would advise against it and just edit your last post or wait 24 hours.

Ever though of a used Peavey 5150? or 6505? i am looking for a good tube combo amp similar to you and its the best i found.

Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiqTxktTEm8

search ebay or your local craigslist for a peavey 5150 combo. i see them for around 400 all the time.
Oh so THATS what bumping is xD
&& No I haven't really thought of that. I'll search in the Georgia craigslist. Thank ya man =]

Edit: I did search it. I couldn't find any cheap ones. And on ebay they're 600 or so and up.
Last edited by David1212 at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by David1212
Okay. So Im down to two choices. The B-52 At 60 112 and the Peavey Vypyr 75. Any more suggestions?

of those two I'd get the B52. If you can stretch, get the Vypyr 60. If you can hold out and keep saving then get the 6505+ 112 AND watch your craigslist like a hawk. There has to be something on the Atlanta Clist...are you close to there?

I guess I didn't say anything new there so free bump for ya
Okay. The I'm liking the idea of the B52 anyways. I don't think I can get the Vypyr 60. And I'm a 14 year old with out a job. I cant really save to get the 6505 =\ But yeah Im sorta close to ATL. But I didn't really see anything.

And thanks

Edit: I found a few good things. Randall Century SS halfstack for $400. Line6 Flextone III XL Plus.Randall RG50TC 50W High Gain Tube Amp (Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker) - $350 . Line 6 Flextone II 2-12 combo. Many different amp settings and tones. In very good condition. Only problem is when the 2nd speaker is hooked up it cuts in and out. Several transistors have been replaced to correct this but haven't found the right one. And I don't have time to work on it. This seems to be an issue with some of these amps. I have the 1 speaker disconnected at the moment and you can play for hours with no issues. And it has plenty of volume with just 1-12. Simple fix if you have time or know a good repair guy. Also have the Line 6 Floorboard that I used with it. I'm asking $175 obo for the amp. Or for another $50 I'll throw in the Floorboard too. Or possible trades. Line 6 Flextone III 2x12 Stereo Combo Amp - $350 (Buckhead). Thats everything good =]
Last edited by David1212 at Nov 20, 2009,
I'd say either one of those would be fine.

I take it a bulk of that post was the description of the Flextone?

That speaker problems sounds a bit weird. I didn't get a chance to look at your Clist but maybe I will later. Forsaknazrael had a Flextone and liked it a lot. I've never played one unfortunately. He's good with modding stuff too so maybe he would have an idea as to what's up or what to look for.
I would personally just check eBay for an Ampeg VH140C. It's the best amp in your price range (and personally, better than any other amp suggested here).
Yeah its mostly Flextone speaker screw up garbage. Ampeg? I thought they only made Bass amps? Oh well. Ill check it out. Thanks.
Quote by David1212
Yeah its mostly Flextone speaker screw up garbage. Ampeg? I thought they only made Bass amps? Oh well. Ill check it out. Thanks.

No, Ampeg has made a lot of guitar amps too.

Most notably, the VH140C and Jet series. The VH is amazing for metal. It kills. Youtube it and see for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsiloEizXqE

There. Probably the best clip of it on there.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Nov 20, 2009,
No, it's SS; possibly the best SS for metal there is, aside from the old Randall RG100s that Dime used, also those tend to be a little sterile.

I'd definitely look for a VH140C on Ebay or Craigslist...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Page 1 of 2