Page 1 of 3
Hey i really want to start liking beer but i had a bad experience with it a year and a half ago and ever since then i almost gag when i drink it now. I have only had the bad beers tho.

So what would be a good beer to start off on again? Not cheap stuff like keystone, bud, coors, miller, etc.... what would be a higher quality beer that you guys would recommend me starting off on? My friend says guiness would be good.

Any other ideas? Thanks! and if they could be found fairly easily that would be awesome
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
Quote by lzcougarz3
Root Beer

Dr. Pepper>Root Beer
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
I'd argue that the more expensive beers are just as hard to drink as cheap junk like Colt45. Guiness ESPECIALLY! If you can't handle budlight/coorslight you can't handle expensive beer that has a stronger and thicker taste.
GEAR:
SCHECTER LOOMIS FR
LTD EC-1000
LTD DV-200
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Don't drink American beer. Ever.

A girl after my heart

My two favourite ares Cooper's Sparkling Ale and Guinness. I'll drink some others but I tend to stick with those two.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Beer of the Dark
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Red Stripe and Heineken... and also anything else that contains alcohol. I have a problem.
Quote by Chuckleberry
Hey i really want to start liking beer but i had a bad experience with it a year and a half ago and ever since then i almost gag when i drink it now. I have only had the bad beers tho.

So what would be a good beer to start off on again? Not cheap stuff like keystone, bud, coors, miller, etc.... what would be a higher quality beer that you guys would recommend me starting off on? My friend says guiness would be good.

Any other ideas? Thanks! and if they could be found fairly easily that would be awesome

Bud is delicious. Maybe you just dont like beer cause your balls havent dropped yet
try Canadian, or Heiniken, or Corona?
just give me a fender and let me rip
If you're more or less new to beer (past incident aside) you're probably not going to really get into the good stuff right off. I think my love for good beer came when I discovered it after years of drinking crap.

Walmarts in my area currently have leinenkugel fire nut brown for sale at under $6 a pack (I'm drinking some as I type this). A lot of their stuff isn't that great, but this seasonal beer is amazing. That would be a good cheap place to start. Other pretty cheap decent mass-produced beers are the guiness line, the fat tire stuff, the boulevard beers.

A lot of the rogue beers are great if you want to pay a little more. There are plenty more, but I don't usually spend that much so I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Your best bet is to find area microbrews and try them out. In southdakota you can probably get thunderhead beer and empyrian beers which come from Nebraska. Those are some of the finest beers I've ever had.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

and I'm so tired of this. Many areas of the US have the same growing conditions as places like Germany and Belgum as well as the techniques and recipes used in those places. There's no reason why our beer is inherently inferior, the german and belgian style beers are just harder to find because they're not as popular.
Look at all the bastard California wines winning international praise, and you'll realize that while geography is important to the culture and spirit of a food, there's no reason to be a snob and assume certain places can't compete.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 18, 2009,
European beer.

EDIT:
Quote by sk8board3r

try Corona?

This guy has a good point. You could start out with beer mixes like Corona, Cherry Beer or Rosébeer... if they sell that stuff in the US and A that is
Last edited by basilbrush at Nov 18, 2009,
I would not start with Guiness, I would start with some smaller micro brews and Ichiban and Sapporo are good beers also
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Guinness isn't a beer, it's stout. I'd recommend Heineken or Corona maybe. As Mistress_Ibanez said, steer clear of American beer.
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
Heineken, Crown and Coke, Shots of any kind of whiskey, Vodka mixed with blue Kool Aid, and Mike's hard lemonade. any of those are good IMO.

I started out of BL but that shit sucks so I moved to Jack and now I drink the above. Heineken taste really good to me but when I first tried it it seemed like bud light but a little better. But you can't go wrong with Crown and Coke.
Equipment

Guitar
- Jackson DKMG DINKY(EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez S5470 Prestige(Air Classic/FS-1/D sonic)

Amp
- Randall RX120RH and RX412 Half Stack

Effects
- Digitech GNX3
Youve come to the right person. You want to start out with beers that have a less pronounced hoppy taste, a little more malt and lots and lots of yeast. Basically beer lemonade. Good ones i can recommend are Erdinger, Paulaner or Cooper's sparkling ale (not pale ale). Since all 3 of these are non-american, it is unlikely you will find them in shops like 7/11...Otherwise a good start if you dont mind a little exoticism are asian beers, as they are predominantly brewed with rice, this reduces the hoppyness of the beer (which is what you have to move on to). After having built a tolerance i advise to move on to smooth beers from belgium or france (hoegaarden, leffe and stella artois come to mind). Be careful with stella though, qualtiy varies greatly from country to country, dont know what its like in the US.

that should give you a rough guide, for reference, my personal favourite is Beck's, but thats a pilsner and has one of the hoppiest tastes around. I'd advise against guiness, it has a very strong flavour, if you like to dabble in dark beers try something like Beamish or Murphy's, they're easier to get into. Other good irish beer is Kilkenny, goes into the Blond beer direction like the belgian and french beer above.
Wanted to play Bass, but then developed conscious thought...
Quote by -NOFX-
Guinness isn't a beer, it's stout. I'd recommend Heineken or Corona maybe. As Mistress_Ibanez said, steer clear of American beer.

I think that stout is a dark beer, though not entirely sure.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
I dont know if you have this in America (you probaly do) but lemon/lime infused beer. It's lovely smooth refreshing beer. Tastes like a girl version of a beer.
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
Stella Artois > All.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by dullsilver_mike
If you're more or less new to beer (past incident aside) you're probably not going to really get into the good stuff right off. I think my love for good beer came when I discovered it after years of drinking crap.

Walmarts in my area currently have leinenkugel fire nut brown for sale at under $6 a pack (I'm drinking some as I type this). A lot of their stuff isn't that great, but this seasonal beer is amazing. That would be a good cheap place to start. Other pretty cheap decent mass-produced beers are the guiness line, the fat tire stuff, the boulevard beers.

A lot of the rogue beers are great if you want to pay a little more. There are plenty more, but I don't usually spend that much so I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Your best bet is to find area microbrews and try them out. In southdakota you can probably get thunderhead beer and empyrian beers which come from Nebraska. Those are some of the finest beers I've ever had.

and I'm so tired of this. Many areas of the US have the same growing conditions as places like Germany and Belgum as well as the techniques and recipes used in those places. There's no reason why our beer is inherently inferior, the german and belgian style beers are just harder to find because they're not as popular.
Look at all the bastard California wines winning international praise, and you'll realize that while geography is important to the culture and spirit of a food, there's no reason to be a snob and assume certain places can't compete.

dont know about the rest of europe, but the reason why most german beers are largely better tasting and less hangover inducing than their american or international counterparts is because of the purity law. (beer is only allowed to contain water, hops, malt and yeast) this vastly improves the taste and refines the production possibilities. Also more technically demanding processes like bottle-fermentation and non-alcoholic beer production have been perfected to a degree unlike anywhere else.
Quote by dullsilver_mike

There's a restaurant that brews thunder head a few blocks from here but I've never had it. But I drink what they call nasty American beer, but then I've never really had anything else... I heard Blue Moon was good, but I haven't tried it myself.
I'm Tyler
Quote by Octtwe88
There's a restaurant that brews thunder head a few blocks from here but I've never had it. But I drink what they call nasty American beer, but then I've never really had anything else... I heard Blue Moon was good, but I haven't tried it myself.

Lots of good thunderhead breweries around, but most of them don't carry all the neat specialty beers like the home location in Kearney, NE does. Still, their "normal" beers are the best around to my tongue. Go try it if you get the chance. It's a little pricier than a usual domestic but it's also about twice as strong.

edit* hey, I moved to GI this summer.... don't really like the town lol.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by wanksta
Youve come to the right person. You want to start out with beers that have a less pronounced hoppy taste, a little more malt and lots and lots of yeast. Basically beer lemonade. Good ones i can recommend are Erdinger, Paulaner or Cooper's sparkling ale (not pale ale). Since all 3 of these are non-american, it is unlikely you will find them in shops like 7/11...Otherwise a good start if you dont mind a little exoticism are asian beers, as they are predominantly brewed with rice, this reduces the hoppyness of the beer (which is what you have to move on to). After having built a tolerance i advise to move on to smooth beers from belgium or france (hoegaarden, leffe and stella artois come to mind). Be careful with stella though, qualtiy varies greatly from country to country, dont know what its like in the US.

that should give you a rough guide, for reference, my personal favourite is Beck's, but thats a pilsner and has one of the hoppiest tastes around. I'd advise against guiness, it has a very strong flavour, if you like to dabble in dark beers try something like Beamish or Murphy's, they're easier to get into. Other good irish beer is Kilkenny, goes into the Blond beer direction like the belgian and french beer above.

mmm... coopers. I love sparkling ale, very nice and its stronger than your average beer, bonus!
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

not all American beer is bad, because I'm sure you've had all American beer to make that assessment . Great Lakes makes some great beer if you live anywhere around Ohio (I don't know how far the market extends). Christmas Ale is back in season... mmm...

(inserted foodit: now with this saying, I would still avoid commercial beer like the plague, it is so gross. Blehhh.)

Quote by lzcougarz3
True, however Dr. Pepper isn't in this category.

Exactly, and Dr.P and root beer are nothing alike.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by wanksta
dont know about the rest of europe, but the reason why most german beers are largely better tasting and less hangover inducing than their american or international counterparts is because of the purity law. (beer is only allowed to contain water, hops, malt and yeast) this vastly improves the taste and refines the production possibilities. Also more technically demanding processes like bottle-fermentation and non-alcoholic beer production have been perfected to a degree unlike anywhere else.

That's fair enough, and I imagine does lend itself to a better beer; I just get tired of all the automatic U.S. naysaying.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Lots of good thunderhead breweries around, but most of them don't carry all the neat specialty beers like the home location in Kearney, NE does. Still, their "normal" beers are the best around to my tongue. Go try it if you get the chance. It's a little pricier than a usual domestic but it's also about twice as strong.

edit* hey, I moved to GI this summer.... don't really like the town lol.

Considering it was known as the meth capitol of the US, i don't blame you haha. I actually planned on going to Kearney this weekend, any kinds you prefer or advise against?
I'm Tyler
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Trooer words have never been spoken.

Guinness does you right, but only when really feel like it. I can't get loaded off the stuff for some reason.

Tecate and Jose Cuervo will guarantee that walk up outside, next to a tree, adjacent to a pile of vomit (I happened to wake up on a picnic beach at my friend's house, and an acquaintance on another occasion passed out in a pile used/stripped tires).

Corona is mediocre at best, tastes even better stolen.

Modelo is sex. One of the upper tier Mexican beers.

Sol is ok, probably a little worse than Corona. Same with Carta Blanca, except it's on the equally opposite of Sol, using Corona as the median on that scale. Just a bit better than Corona.

Dos Equis and Pacifico are 2 brands I need to get better acquianted with. I've heard good things about both, so that's gunna be my next venture.

Outside of that, I don't know much about beer that isn't from continental America. Or Canadian beers.
What is some good Canada Ale?
Quote by -NOFX-

You realize that stout is a type of beer, right?

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

While I will admit that there are few American macro-brews that I like, there are plenty of micro-breweries in America that produce very good beers. I've been drinking a lot of stouts/porters lately...Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (I like their Winter Ale too), and Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by dullsilver_mike
That's fair enough, and I imagine does lend itself to a better beer; I just get tired of all the automatic U.S. naysaying.

oh yea, definitely. I've been myself a few times and found a large amount of american beers to my liking, its mostly the publicised beers that make it across the atlantic (i.e. coors, miller) that are subpar in comparison to other beers. Currently live in london and am appalled by the quality of draught beers here, stick to my imported bottles...
Quote by Octtwe88
Considering it was known as the meth capitol of the US, i don't blame you haha. I actually planned on going to Kearney this weekend, any kinds you prefer or advise against?

They stopped making the espresso stout, which was amazing. the different porters they have there are my favorites. The scottish and the monk are both good. They had a Belgian white in last time I was there and it was absolutely amazing (from a guy who usually prefers dark beers) If you've never had it though, I say start off with the honey wheat that's the standard beer pretty much. It's a simple old wheat beer, but it's really well done.
Quote by Chuckleberry

Why would you wanna drink if you don't like the taste of it? I mean seriously are you just drinking to get shitfaced? I can see people drinking like 2 or 3 beers cause they like the taste of it and enjoy a light buzz but if your gonna do something you dont even like just to get drunk thats pretty stupid man.
Quote by wanksta

Negra Modelo would like to speak with you...
(Although I just found out that it's GerMex brewing combo that makes it such win).

I would like to be informed of the better German lagers.
Coors Light is the easiest beer to start with. Once you can drink that move on to IPAs and other tasty beers
Quote by patsfannumero1
Why would you wanna drink if you don't like the taste of it? I mean seriously are you just drinking to get shitfaced? I can see people drinking like 2 or 3 beers cause they like the taste of it and enjoy a light buzz but if your gonna do something you dont even like just to get drunk thats pretty stupid man.

I can kind of see where he's coming from (or, at least, I think I can). Until about ~6 months ago, the only beers I had been exposed to were American macros (Bud Light and whatnot) and widely-avalable imports (Heineken mostly) and I really didn't (and still don't) like any of them--they just tasted bad to me. It wasn't until I started drinking higher quality beers that I really gained a taste for beer.
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Sunshine86
You realize that stout is a type of beer, right?

While I will admit that there are few American macro-brews that I like, there are plenty of micro-breweries in America that produce very good beers. I've been drinking a lot of stouts/porters lately...Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (I like their Winter Ale too), and Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout.

Not enough micro's in my town (that I know of). It's gunna mostly been Mex-inspired anyways, so I'm might just stick with Mexican macro's.
I will say that Bud Ice 40's are one of the only Bud variants that I throughly enjoy.
Miller, Bud (weiser and light), Keystone (ZOMG! ?
No.
I'd rather drink a Steel Reserve.
Page 1 of 3