Ok so I picked up a Squier Affinity Strat at the music center, and it felt pretty good. It's black (with a metallic/sparkly silver pickguard), it geels great for me, it's in good condition with no noticable damage (at least I didn't notice any), and he's asking $200 for it. Is this a good deal, or would this be getting ripped off? In the case of it being a good deal and me getting it, what kind of modifications would I need to get (or do to it)? How much would this cost? I need it to be for Grunge music, like Nirvana. I was thinking about getting a Fender Strat, but its too expensive for me (My dad is kinda cheap and I don't have a job).

Last thing! I have a crappy amp that I can't find any info on, so if you can help me, please do so. It's called a GA-10. Thats all it says other than the usual gain,volume, blah blah blah...

Any and all help is appreciated, but please read the thread so that you don't end up repeating information (it gets annoying when you have 20 answers that say the same thing...)

UPDATE: The bank(my dad lol) has decided that the price doesn't matter much, so long as it isn't outrageous (like over $600). So I was thinking maybe going with a Fender Strat, Mustang, or Jaguar. I really want that Kurt Cobain sound, but I'd like to have the Stratocaster's ability to play pretty much all kinds of music. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and Epiphone SG special; Can I do some work on the SG to make it sound kind of like a strat/jaguar/or mustang? I don't see myself doing anything to the LP, unless there really is no option left... What do you think? Should I get a Jaguar, Mustang, or Stratocaster? Or, should I just get a Jaguar (or mustang) and just upgrade the SG to sound like a strat?
Last edited by chato3ltc at Nov 18, 2009,
pretty bad deal for an affinity series.. if you want that kurt cobain tone grab a used mustang or jaguar, strat is kind of a last resort...
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
pretty bad deal for an affinity series.. if you want that kurt cobain tone grab a used mustang or jaguar, strat is kind of a last resort...

I'm no Kobain expert, but I think he used Strats rather a lot IIRC.

Whilst a Strat would work, OP, that's not a good deal for an Affinity. In America you can pick up used MiM Fender Strats for about 50 dollars more.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Hmm...I've seen him use all three of those guitars before, in a live vid for Heart Shaped Box he's seen using either a Jaguar or Mustang. Really, you can go for any one of those guitars. And if your price range is up to $600, you can get a real Fender instead of a Squier, I know Fender Standard Strats go for btwn. $400 and $500. Try not to get a Squier; I own a model similar to the one you picked up and the sound quality....just isn't that great. Which is why I'm currently customizing a black Fender Strat =D wanna get a good Alice in Chains sound out of it.
Strats are prolly the most versatile guitar you can get, so if you want a Nirvana sound but also want more options, go for one. But if the main thing you're looking for the grungy Kurt sound, then go for the Mustang/Jaguar/Jagstang.
^ Although I'd definitely be happy in recommending the Squier Classic Vibe series to people. Between a Squier CV and Fender MiM it's all personal preference...I personally prefer the Squier's.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
His jag was barely a jag. he taped off half the controls, put in two humbuckers (diMarzio PAF in the neck and a DiMarzio Super Distortion), replaced the bridge with a TOM, added a tone knob+ an LP style switch and didnt use the rest of the switches.

The MIM jag classic player with the two buckers would probably do what you're asking.

I'm pretty sure his mustang was modified too, there's a humbucker in the bridge pickup and TOM bridge.

The jag-stang was too his exact spects though.

Tbh kurts sound isn't hard to duplicate, a strat with a humbucker would suffice.
the squier jagmaster could be an option
a strat is perfectly fine though but if you can get hss it would be even better
A strat will work fine, all you need is a crunchy tone.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss