I have been playing guitar for about 4 years and consider myself moderately decent at it. Recently, I have joined up with a few guys to jam and stuff.

I had started out as a rhythm guitarist, but since then we have had a hard time finding a good bass player. So today at practice I decided to try out playing bass. Almost instantly, I realized that it wasn't as bad as everyone made it seem. The fact that playing bass actually required more than just pure shred speed appealed to me greatly.

So, how should I go about making the transition from a rhythm guitarist to a bass player? I plan to keep my guitars and play them on the side and such, but I would like to pick up something to satisfy my bass needs.

Any advice?

tl;dr - Guitar player going bass player. Needs advice.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Quote by obeythepenguin
Well, what kind of advice are you looking for?

As far as basic technique, it sounds like you have it covered. All you really need is a good ear and a sense of rhythm. I find bass much easier, too; I've only been playing maybe three months, and I'm in a band now with a bunch of semi-professionals.

Equipment-wise, it really depends on your price range, genre/play style, etc., but I think a simple Precision or Jazz is an all-around good choice. To be honest though, I don't know much about this, since I prefer to play acoustics. A 100-300w amp should be fine, at least for practicing.

If you can give us a bit more information, we can give you more helpful advice.

Well, let's see....

I am looking to spend maybe $300-$500 on a bass and amp together. My price range is low because I don't plan on selling my guitar equipment (close to $1000 or so worth of it)

However, if I do decide to go full time bass player and sell my guitars and amps, I'm looking at closer to the $700-$900 range.

I guess our genre is pretty close to something like 80's hair metal. The bass I used today was an Ibanez (i can't remember the model, roughly a $200 bass though) and an Acoustic 20W amp.

The amp seemed plenty loud at half volume for practicing, but I was looking at a 50W for gigs possibly. Would that be enough for small gigs?
Quote by imdeth

Quote by obeythepenguin
Keep your guitar equipment, at least for now. Being able to play both instruments will help you.

Take a look at this thread: Is 100w loud enough for band rehearsals? It's a little long, but it has a lot of good discussion.

I'll take a look at that thread. Thanks.

The short version is, it depends. I use a 100W (SWR LA15), which keeps up fine with three unplugged acoustics, keyboards, and drums at about 1/8 total volume. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than that, myself -- as the guy at the store told me, they have these wonderful things called volume controls, so you can always turn them down.

At 1/8 total volume? 100W seems like plenty then for practice and smaller gigs. I will take a look at that thread though.

Could you recommend me something within my price range?
Quote by imdeth

Assuming you don't sell your guitar equipment, the FAQ is full of good starter options. The bass you played was probably an Ibanez GSR200 ($200), which is fantastic starter bass, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it. Another great bass many will recommend to you is the Squier VM ($300) which is again, a fantastic bass. When it comes to amps, if your doing small gigs, 100+ watts is probably going to be what you'd want to look at. Something like an Acoustic B100 combo might do you well, but look used, you can usually get some really good deals on used amps.

As for the transition from guitarist to bassist, most people don't seem to find the switch too daunting. Just remember that the bass is not a big 4 string guitar and you've already taken a big step. Lessons if possible, are the best thing to improve your skills, but if thats not an option, getting a book should do you good as you have do already have musical experience. Check out the FAQ, it has a lot of good basic info you might find useful, and congrats on picking up the bass
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Remember that there is a difference on bass and guitar, don´t overdo the basslines with all kinds of crazy riffs. Leave that to the guitars
Quote by Even Sol
don´t overdo the basslines with all kinds of crazy riffs. Leave that to the guitars

not true, you can play bass however you think it sounds good
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Spaz91
$500 will get you a decent 100-300w amp (look at 2nd hand) and a Squier Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz bass, pretty much all you need for now.

Any advice on where to look for second-hand amps other than the usual Ebay?
Quote by imdeth

Quote by RG5EX1
Any advice on where to look for second-hand amps other than the usual Ebay?

Local music shops? I got a great deal on a Carlsbro Bass Beasty, 325w 15", from my nearest shop. £200 second hand.
Check in-store, a lot of shops are crap at keeping their websites up to date.
Quote by Spaz91
Local music shops? I got a great deal on a Carlsbro Bass Beasty, 325w 15", from my nearest shop. £200 second hand.
Check in-store, a lot of shops are crap at keeping their websites up to date.

Thanks. I'm browsing craigslist right now and I might make my way over to the local music shop in a few days.
Quote by imdeth