I am just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to improve soloing, especially improvisation. As well as that, I also want to improve my speed at which I can play, and improve my playing up and down the neck. If anyone has tips on improving those areas, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
emphasize chord tones.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Yeah... Practice either fast solos from songs that you love or scales and patterns with a metronome for speed, and for the improvisation... Think about sea horses.
learn some licks and do finger exercises. i know their boring but they can really help in a short amount of time. also try learning some more advanced techniques to use in your solos, maybe incorporate some tapping every once in a while or some basic sweeps, even if you arent very good at them it will at least help you with changing tempo in your solos
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
tips to improve soloing ,

know your key signatures/theory .
use your ears.
build a range of techniques you can use to play the guitar.
learn a repetoire of vocal pieces , or single instrument pieces such as
music for violin or saxophone .
strive for unity/harmony with your instrument , your audience and of course your self

:O)
Quote by Canadian_Indie
I am just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to improve soloing, especially improvisation.
Listen to the backing track and see what starts playing in your head - then try and play that on your guitar. If its hard try recording yourself singing a solo then try and play it from the recording. Listen to what you're playing and how it works with the backing, and whenever you come up with a lick you like write it down!
Quote by Canadian_Indie
As well as that, I also want to improve my speed at which I can play,
Speed is a byproduct of accuracy, coordination and economy of motion - so concentrate on playing everything cleanly and accurately and speed will come naturally from that.
Quote by Canadian_Indie
and improve my playing up and down the neck. If anyone has tips on improving those areas, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Practice scales single string, and 2nps, as well as 3nps. Practice them in different patterns too - like 3rds and 4ths, and different sequences. Learn to find intervals on the neck - especially unisons, octaves and 5ths - so you can find your way back to a comfortable root note easily, and come up with a couple of licks to help you get up and down eaasily for when you get stuck
improvising
As Zhilla said, listening to something then hearing something in your head really helps, think of the dynamics of what your playing too, do you hit the string hard or soft? do you give that snapping sound? do you over bend? Also, instead of playing the scale up and down with occasional bends and stuff (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 5, 4, 3) try and mix the notes completely up, see what you can come up with by using some strange sequences of notes, like 1, 3, 2, 5, 1, 3, (the numbers being the note numbers) try also to limit the amount of notes to use and create a lick or see how many ways you can vary the note sequences and dynamics, by using 3 notes, you can create a plenthora of licks. Using Chromatic notes are great too, if your fast enough, you can just use them as passing tones. For improvising, its difficult to hear the arpeggios but if you know the progression, A, D, E, Bbm or some weird chord, don't be afraid to mix the actual arpeggio in with the scale when that chord comes along. If your someone really jazzy or random, sometimes playing a lick and moving it up half step, then half step again, then back to the scale can sound really cool. its all about imagination. You could be a slow, unskilled guitarist but because you have the mind, you can create really sweet solos from bends, Vibratos, Hammer and pull offs. Vibrao and Bends are important if your using them properly. Something i used to do, if i remember correctly was the chords were A, A#dim, i bend to the root note, and once it changes to the A#dim, i bend just that slight bit more. Vibrato really shapes some solos if there really fast and rock, or slow and blues. It's about your ear, to fit in.

I rabbited on a bit, i know.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
If anyone is in this situation where they need to ask how to improve, then they are not taking enough risks.

We all hear "I was great when I was playing in my room" whenever someone stuffs up on stage or in front of people.

CHANGE THIS. Stop sounding so good in your room, in your spare time you need to look at everything that you wouldn't usually do. Stop avoiding things that aren't in the pentatonic/blues/major/minor scales. Start hitting those odd notes and eventually you will find you can use a lot of them and make it sound good!

Of course... You also need to know what notes you can find safety on if you get lost. Look to things like the melody line, and chord tones. Bending up/down to chord tones is pretty cool too, but may take a little while to get used to and take a bit of memorising on your behalf.