The vocals section of these forums is completely useless for screaming.

So, i have been in bands before, but recently ive started practicing again, and my high screams feel like i am whispering loudly...or a hissing noise. i'd like all the criticism, tips, and compliments possible please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XNahFx3ZNU
this is the first cover. the rest can be found in other videos by my username.

i re-did 2 after some progression.

please give feedback.
It just sounds like you need to push more air, and open your throat more. Also, don't cup the mic. It's for babies. And, there's a thread for vocal tips somewhere in the musician talk forum.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
i dont know how to loosen my throat though. ive warmed up a lot. im pretty sure im not screaming from my throat. and p.s its just a habbit of mine holdingmy hands like that. i dont need to use it for lows.
Hmm. Usually, I constrict my throat and use a more focused air stream for lows, and the exact opposite for highs. It helps me if I look upward when doing highs, maybe it opens your throat more? Anyway, good luck with this.

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
thanks for the tips. i think ive naturally looked up for highs before, your right about that.
The only other thing I can think of is to try and push more with your diaphragm.

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Agree with what has been said. Like you said, it is a bit weak and floaty sounding. Props for being able to hit those high screams I can't lol. It looks like your shoulders are coming up when you inhale, and I know this gets old, but you gotta sing or scream from your diaphragm. There are plenty of tutorials out there. Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about. Chances are you do, but you will have to breathe right to get that push and sustain on those high screams that use so much more air than the lows.
i really like the lows you do, im no expert on vocals but i agree something is not right with the high vocals.
My Gear:
Schecter Omen 6 ( Seymour Duncan SH - 8 Invader Bridge, GFS Crunchy Rails Neck )
Jackson JS30DKT Dinky™ Hard tail ( Stock Pickups )
Fender Squire Stratocaster ( Stock Pickups )
Vox AD15VT Amplifier
do you think me getting slightly out of shape could have something to do with it? before i stopped for a few months, i was fairly in shape with a strong abdomen, and it was always flexed during screaming....then i went to college and abs are now flabs. ive been recording myself over and over trying to use my diaphram and positioning my throat and breathing different ways, but its all coming out the same.

this is me like 1 year ago when i first started, please dont notify me on the shitiness of the band. you can definitley hear the difference.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz83V88qSes&feature=related
^^concerning that last band btw, i dont think we fit in any genre, at all, ever. just focus on the screaming.
Hey man, be sure to take a look at my band's stuff, it's not really in the style of Suicide Silence but quite honestly I think you need to be more natural with your vocals if that makes sense. It seems really forced, like you are trying to duplicate the singer. I'd suggest trying to push more with your stomach (Not literally), using less throat, and try starting a long belted scream from low to high to see how high you can really reach without making it sound artificial. I play guitar as well as do the vocals for my band so I can never really cup the mic, I would suggest getting extremely close to the mic but not using your hands because it will become a hindrance.
okay, for the last time. i do not cup the mic, im gonna be putting up a 3rd version of each soon to show im not cupping to edit my sound. ive been using my diaphram, and i just cant seem to get this whisper to go away. i just dont understand, because i am doing everything i used to do, as shown in the link i posted ^. i even practiced singing those old songs. and remembered exactly how id scream...im so confused....i also noticed i had a pretty gnarly growl at 3:38. lol