What are some non locking trems(like a strats)that don't go out of tine when you use them. I saw a video of Guthrie Govan doing some things with a non locking trem and I thought it was pretty cool you could be able to do stuff like that without the hassle of a locki g trem. So what are certain brands of trmolos that I would be able to do this kind of stuff without it going out of tune.
Blue Red Yellow Green
Well, their design is pretty simple. It's usually the quality of the tremolo, as well as how it's installed and set up, that makes a difference.

Any high-end guitar with a non-locking trem will stay in tune well. PRS, Suhr, Tom Anderson, maybe some Fenders, Ben Reuters...

The thing is, they don't have quite the range of a Floyd, and in most cases they don't go very far up (some might not go up at all). They might be fine for some slight vibrato, but you'd need a really really REALLY good one if you want it to survive agressive whammy bar rape.

It is theoretically possible to set up any non-locking trem to stay in tune, but it can be difficult. Ask at a guitar shop.
Last edited by sashki at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by sashki
Well, their design is pretty simple. It's usually the quality of the tremolo, as well as how it's installed and set up, that makes a difference.

Any high-end guitar with a non-locking trem will stay in tune well. PRS, Suhr, Tom Anderson, maybe some Fenders, Ben Reuters...

The thing is, they don't have quite the range of a Floyd, and in most cases they don't go very far up (some might not go up at all). They might be fine for some slight vibrato, but you'd need a really really REALLY good one if you want it to survive agressive whammy bar rape.

It is theoretically possible to set up any non-locking trem to stay in tune, but it can be difficult. Ask at a guitar shop.

Do you know any replacement trems I could get though
Blue Red Yellow Green
Quote by FOYSTA
What are some non locking trems(like a strats)that don't go out of tine when you use them. I saw a video of Guthrie Govan doing some things with a non locking trem and I thought it was pretty cool you could be able to do stuff like that without the hassle of a locki g trem. So what are certain brands of trmolos that I would be able to do this kind of stuff without it going out of tune.

Most decent quality trems will stay in tune provided they are set up & intonated properly.

Also - Guthrie uses a device called a Tremol-No - which is basically a switch on the back of the guitar which allows you to block the tremolo on the fly when it's not being used, so his guitar is probably set to hard tail mode the majority of the time.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
There's certainly no one design of non-locking vibrato that is going to hold tune any better than another. The main key is the overall hardware the guitar has and how well it's set up. You can get the very lowest end Squier to hold tune just fine so long as it's set up correctly and you don't try to do Floyd Rose antics with it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
IMO Wilkinsons are a good strat style replacement. I also really really like the PRS tremolo. A graphite nut, locking tuners, and roller string trees help a bunch.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
Any top mount tremolo should be able to hold tuning fairly well, such as the newer RG120's. They set up just like a Floyd in general too so you can find a wealth of info online on how to do this
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I like the Wilkinson VS100. With a decent set of locking tuners and either a roller or a graphite nut, the trem stays in tune very well.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.