What is the little cut-out below the neck and before the pick up? Does it have a purpose or anything? I've seen it on a few basses and always wondered. Sorry if there is already a thread on this i didn't know what to search for. Sorry if this is a little hard to understand.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Last edited by TrabenBassist22 at Nov 18, 2009,
That's just part of the neck that fits into the neck pocket of the body on a set-neck bass. There is no purpose to it other than for looks, it could as well had been covered by the wood top.
yes that's what I meant, the pictures weren't working sorry . Anyway thanks!
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

It gives more room for a stronger bolt on joint, without making the heel too bulky

EDIT: look at a Cort Curbow heel. Cant find a pic, but it runs all the way to the pickup
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
Last edited by Brodie337 at Nov 19, 2009,
I always thought it gave more room to get your fingers underneath the strings for things like popping
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Hold on... What are we talking about?

If you mean the extension of the neck into the body, then its for a stronger heel without the bulk, but if you mean a carved out section under the strings like an Ibanez EDB (below), then, yeah, its to allow more room for pooping.
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
I was talking about what shadowdonut posted that little cut out right after the fretboard ends but I think i got my answer, thanks guys.

Quote by TrasherFromHell
That's just part of the neck that fits into the neck pocket of the body on a set-neck bass. There is no purpose to it other than for looks, it could as well had been covered by the wood top.

It's actually on neck through basses. Set neck basses such as the Rickenbacker 4003 do not have this.