I don't actually have my delay pedal yet. I found my love of delay through a combination of listening to Brian May and the happy circumstance of my digital recorder having a delay effect. However, I find the lack of tap tempo disturbing

I use my delay as a self-harmonizer, so that I can play with myself in 2 and 3 part harmony. I rarely use it as a thickener or as just an effect that rings out and decays. I like to have a good strong delay that doesn't decay at all.

Thoughts? How do you delay?
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I put it very low, and it puts an echo in that I can barely hear, but when it isn't, I notice its gone. It kind of just improves the sound altogether.
Quote by Dio10101
I put it very low, and it puts an echo in that I can barely hear, but when it isn't, I notice its gone. It kind of just improves the sound altogether.

I do something similar as well...

I set my mix fairly low so that it sounds as though delay really isn't there, I also set use the delay time such that the first delay only starts as my chorus for the note runs out. Then I set the repeats to 2 - 3 delays so that its noticeable... but not quite the focus of attention.

I generally use it to fill up the sound-scape for clean songs and not much else. Oh I generally only use a delay if the chorus doesn't fill out the sound enough.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
-To produce unpenetrable walls of fuzzy noise.
-To create sweet, fragile ambience.
-To generate oscillation (best done with expression pedal).
-To achieve that nice tape chorusing sound.
-To produce percussive, rhythmic noise.
-To generate long, spacey echoes.
I'm out.
I don't really use mine for 'echoes'...really just to get the extra kick to my sound. More like a reverb than anything Spacey sounds are cool...just don't use them much in my playing.
i rarely use my rhythmicly, but that just fits some songs so well you have to do it. mostly ive got the slap-back echo kinda thing going on with minimal (1-3) repeats just to add some depth. well, thats with my ad-9 anyway. the memory man usually gets a bit of a longer delay and the repeats are higher in the mix. more like for creation of a sound scape kinda thing, works great on chords (especially with the chorus on).

tap tempo delays are something i dont use much. i can set things up digitally when i record, but i dont find myself needing that kind of thing too much with what i play.
Quote by eyebanez333
I don't really use mine for 'echoes'...really just to get the extra kick to my sound. More like a reverb than anything.

+1

that and the odd echo harmony...sorry if i'm offending anybody but i always liked that part of Ted Nugents Stranglehold in the solo when he does that

(no, i dont play that song)

sometimes i hit a note and play with the feedback and delay time knobs, get some freaky noises doin that. i can do that for hours

for practicing i set a delay time and play some scales, try to keep it in time with the delay and "harmonize" up and down the scales
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Last edited by thedekker at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by thedekker
sometimes i hit a note and play with the feedback and delay time knobs, get some freaky noises doin that. i can do that for hours

One of the best ways to waste times ever!

Pair that up with flangers, chorus, phasers and it gets all freaky.

Quote by thedekker
for practicing i set a delay time and play some scales, try to keep it in time with the delay and "harmonize" up and down the scales

I actually find that a really difficult form of practice.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by toyboxmonster
-To produce unpenetrable walls of fuzzy noise.
-To create sweet, fragile ambience.
-To generate oscillation (best done with expression pedal).
-To achieve that nice tape chorusing sound.
-To produce percussive, rhythmic noise.
-To generate long, spacey echoes.
I'm out.

this
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet