Canadian lawyers/heroes negotiate no more homework for their children

"Usually it is the children, not the parents, who are loath to spend their evenings practising spelling and learning times tables. But a Canadian couple have just won a legal battle to exempt their offspring from homework after successfully arguing there is no clear evidence it improves academic performance."

Linky

Their argument was the lack of studies supporting the effectiveness of homework on grades, apparently, so their kids don't have to do homework anymore. They just have to turn class work in on time, come prepared, study for tests, and practice instruments and read at home.

Thoughts? Puns? Jokes?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Nonsense -- homework is great.

What else do dogs have to eat?
There hath he lain for ages and will lie,
Battening on huge seaworms in his sleep;
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by man and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.
ehn im in university, dont do my hw, i fail cuz i dont kno the knowledge.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I was gonna say "You should practice spelling more when you spell 'practicing' 'practising'"

Then I remembered it's the British spelling.

Damn Brits, ruining my jokes.
Their kids are ten and eleven; this is, at the current time, actually the right move for them. It'll be a couple of years before homework is actually effective, according to studies.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I personally like getting homework simply because I'm able to understand everything more completely. Even if a teacher explains the work well, I need to be able to reassure myself by working through questions on my own.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Homework does play a big part in helping students understand their course material better.

But. it. ****ing. sucks.
Quote by Karvid
I personally like getting homework simply because I'm able to understand everything more completely. Even if a teacher explains the work well, I need to be able to reassure myself by working through questions on my own.

But my grade suffers when I don't do the problems. Even when I show up, and score perfectly on the test...
I save pretty much all of my homework until literally the night before, and I'm a straight A student. I don't do homework until I feel I NEED to do it.

LEVEDIT: That isn't to say I don't believe we need it. I mean, those kids will have to work their asses off at school to get all their work in on time, as opposed to doing some at home and finishing it when it needs to be done... and if they choose to do some work at home when they DO fall behind... what's changed, you know?
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Nov 18, 2009,
these parents are gunna regret this when their kid becomes a spoiled whiny bitch
“I am 100 percent in favor of the intelligent use of drugs, and 1,000 percent against the thoughtless use of them, whether caffeine or LSD. And drugs are not central to my life.”

-Dr. Timothy Leary
Homework may not provide academic improvement when you're 10 or 11, but when you're taking higher level courses, it's a good idea to at least do a browse the homework assignments so you know what the fuck is going on.

They're better off doing the homework now, because that shit isn't going to hold up in high school, and certainly not in college. The homework may not be affective at this point, but it's worthwhile in that it instills study habits that will be necessary (or at least beneficial) in the future.
Quote by eL SeaweeD
these parents are gunna regret this when their kid becomes a spoiled whiny bitch

What does that have to do with homework?

10 and 11. What grade is that like 5th? I NEVER got homework in 5th grade.

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
I think that's how it should be for the most part.
I've wasted so many stressful hours throwing together projects that mainly involve application of my creativity and involve almost no application of knowledge on the subject. What purpose does spending 6 hours sculpting a Mayan pyramid serve?

In my opinion when it comes to the core subjects, homework should involve studying for tests, and straightforward worksheets for practice, not this other crap I have to spend the majority of my homework time on.

I suppose it does prepare me for being stressed as balls in university though.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Nov 18, 2009,
That kid is gonna be ****ED in college. Or if he takes AP for that matter. I was smart enough in most of high school to get away with test scores alone but when I started college I quickly realized I could not pull that shit off.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
you know these kids are probably going to be bullied for being mommy and daddy's bitchs haha. Really i would probably pick on these kids i am not going to lie... what makes them so ****ing special...
Quote by Artemis Entreri
That kid is gonna be ****ED in college. Or if he takes AP for that matter. I was smart enough in most of high school to get away with test scores alone but when I started college I quickly realized I could not pull that shit off.

+1

When I did not keep up with the reading and notes in my AP Psychology class, my test grades were generally a whole letter grade lower than when I did, even though I took notes on my teacher's lectures every day.
College is even worse. In high school I was assigned the readings in chunks of 4-5 pages per night; now I'm assigned a chapter or two by next week--I'm terrible with time management/procrastination, so I've really had to make an adjustment. (In fact, I should be getting some reading done for history, sociology, and/or English right now. >__>
Kids are better off learning these skills when they're young.
Quote by Karvid

Nerd.
Quote by Artemis Entreri

Still works for me and I'm going to a private Uni that's over 35k a year.

Some people learn differently. Don't force everyone to do homework.
The capital of North Dakota is Bismarck.

Know how I know that? Not the internet, I had to write them down three times each along with the states when I was in grade school. I know them all pretty much by heart.

Homework, for the most part of early schooling is busy work.