are JCM 800 2205 any good? or should i just stick on getting a regular 2203/2204?
also would it be better to use an attenuator or a disortion pedal for these amps? and what attenuator or distortion pedal should i get?
JCM amps are great, but I would add a boost for solo tones.
EDIT: The MXR boost sounded fine to to me at guitar center.
im more into classic rock like led zeppelin guns n roses van halen and aerosmith would this amp be good that? i mean i just want that classic jcm 800 tone would i get that from a 2205?
jcm 800 are the best marshalls ever, this combo should sound the same as the stacks in my opinion. it's perfect for hard rock and with some pedals you can own metal li metallica or even more, iron maiden for sure
Won't need a distortion pedal...maybe an attenuator if you need power tube saturation at bedroom volumes. But definitely play one before you buy.
An attenuator is completely different than a distortion pedal. Attenuators are used with tube amps to reduce the volume of the overall projection of sound out of the amp while still pushing the actual amp to a higher level of volume, thus getting the tone that the amp would have if it was loud but at a reduced volume overall. Distortion is the effect used to create just that, distortion.
So it depends what you're trying to achieve.
Quote by eyebanez333
Won't need a distortion pedal...maybe an attenuator if you need power tube saturation at bedroom volumes. But definitely play one before you buy.
An attenuator won't give you power tube saturation at bedroom levels.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
JCM800 is one of the best

Hands down
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by ch0
An attenuator won't give you power tube saturation at bedroom levels.

Why?

Cranked master volume, dialed down in overall volume with the attenuator....worked great on my Windsor Attenuating that much will definitely alter the tone...but unless you have another way to crank the amp without going deaf...
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by eyebanez333
Why?

Cranked master volume, dialed down in overall volume with the attenuator....worked great on my Windsor Attenuating that much will definitely alter the tone...but unless you have another way to crank the amp without going deaf...
Exactly because it will suck the tone. You might as well just play with the volume set low.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Exactly because it will suck the tone. You might as well just play with the volume set low.

Completely different sounds though

A high watt tube amp like a windsor with the master on 1 without an attenuator...then move the master to 7 or 8 with an attenuator. A lot different. Also comes down to what you consider 'bedroom' levels. If you live in a thin walled apartment...its going to be different than my definition. Because I have a whole floor of a house...and I could give two shits if my meth-addicted neighbors call the cops
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Nov 18, 2009,
yeah thats basically what i mean in other words should i use the amps distortion or would it better to buy a pedal? or would it be better to have an attenuator to drive the tubes more then it could sound better or both
A cranked JCM 800 is pretty much one of the best and most classic guitar tones possible. So for you, i say some sort of mahogany guitar with humbuckers (this is cliche, but a Les Paul) into an attenuated JCM 800 with a possible clean boost for soloing would get any rock tone you would need, and even go into metal. The 800 is pretty much the standard thrash amp.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
^ just to expand on what he's saying.

2210/2205 has more gain than a stock 2203/2204, but they get that extra gain with a little bit of diode clipping (common knowledge about the jcm900, not so much about the late 80's 800's... till they did the JTM/JMP 800 reissue, but we wont go there), the amp still sounds fantastic, but gets roasted by a lot of "Purists", just giving you the heads up.

as for the gain side of things.

I can tell you, on my 2203 (every amp is different) boosted with a stock SD-1, through my Les Paul, i can just get to slipknot sort of gain levels, which trust me, is more than ample for any metal setting (Past that point, extra gain just makes you muddy). On it's own, it does the tallica black album comfortably (they were using hotrodded plexies). Roll the volume off of on the gain input and you get a lovely warm, but defined clean, it's not glassy like a plexi clean, but it's quite surprising for a Marshall. And of cause like any old Marshall, you roll the gain right off, crank the master volume and you have that fantastic 70's rock and roll crunch.

Attenuation always takes the "subtleties" away from your tone, but for bedroom practice it will work just fine, the fact your not going to use it for metal means that you will probably need one, as you cant really rely on your preamp for the saturation you're looking for and as so you'll need quite a bit of volume.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
im not planning on playing metal R.D thnx for the description tho^^ im more into classic rock and im just not sure if i should get a 2204 or a 2205
I was just trying to give you an insight into what the amp is capable of doing and an idea of the gain structure.

A 2204/2203 is pretty much a JMP with a master volume, if i were you and looking for classic rock, I'd go a 2204, EQ however you like (probably a little bit of a mid hump, nothing too extreme), crank the master volume and try and control the output level a little with the input volume... will get you that perfect AC/DC sorta tone. If your more looking to get a Led Zep tone, raise the gain pretty much in line with the volume. attenuate as necessary.

The only really audible difference between a 2204 and a 2205 is the effects loop of cause, and the fact that a 2205 has a little bit more of a compressed flavor. but honestly, you'd need a golden ear and a mouth full of bullshit to pick the difference though.

Again, those are my opinions, you should take what you like, throw the rest away, go play the amps and make up your own mind

Have a nice day
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive