Hey, is it safe to use Wood Pledge or Multi-Surface Pledge on my fretboard. It is just my secondary guitar, my Squire Fender Strat with pick-ups I put in it.

I just need to clean the fretboard since I can't afford new strings... It'll give me initiative. Is Pledge safe, or should I def get guitar fretboard polish. I just don't want anything getting broken. I assume it is fine, but just checking with you guys.
pledge contains silicone, and should not be used on fretboards.

what type of fretboard is it?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
what kind of fretboard? finished maple, might be ok. unfinished rosewood, not ok. that kinda stuff is meant to be put on finished wood, not raw wood.

i just use a (very) damp cloth a lot of the time. elbow grease is the way to go.
Maple or Rosewood fretboard? If its maple, polish. If its rosewood, use an old toothbrush to get all the crap out of it then lemon oil it.
Check out a product called Dr. Duck's Ax Wax. It's all I'll use on my guitars and it's pretty good stuff. I've had a bottle now for... 5 years? It doesn't take much to clean the guitar/fretboard and you shouldn't wipe down the fretboard too much anyways. One/twice a year is beyond plenty, even for a heavily gigged instrument like my Razorback
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Check out a product called Dr. Duck's Ax Wax. It's all I'll use on my guitars and it's pretty good stuff. I've had a bottle now for... 5 years? It doesn't take much to clean the guitar/fretboard and you shouldn't wipe down the fretboard too much anyways. One/twice a year is beyond plenty, even for a heavily gigged instrument like my Razorback

for some reason all my heavily played guitars get this weird black crap on the fretboard after only a few months playing...weird.

What should someone use on ebony? i'd like to clean both an ebony and rosewood fret with the same product, what does UG recomend?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
for some reason all my heavily played guitars get this weird black crap on the fretboard after only a few months playing...weird.

What should someone use on ebony? i'd like to clean both an ebony and rosewood fret with the same product, what does UG recomend?

It's called dirt and it builds up differently for different people. Cleaning your fretboard with products dries it out and conditioners moisturize it. Doing too much of either can cause the fretboard to crack or the frets to rock out of place. Hence why I said once/twice yearly is more than plenty. Dirt on the fretboard isn't going to kill your guitar, trust me. You should've seen my 1984 ML before I attacked it with Ax Wax, if it survived like it did your fretboard will survive as well

Also I recommend the Ax Wax from before. One bottle does everything you could ever think of doing to a guitar with a chemical/product/whatev. Here's the page on LMII (luthier supply company)
http://www.lmii.com/ca...eader=Dr.+Duck's+Ax+Wax
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Nov 18, 2009,
some of mine are very....very dirty. so much so that it gets on my hands, and i fit little black peices of it all over the back of my neck.

Ax Wax will work on ebony without damage?
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Ax Wax works on whatever you want to put it on. But for a rule of thumb - things are usually safe for Rosewood and Ebony. It's maple fretboards you need to watch out for. But to answer your question again, I use Ax Wax on all my stuff. My Gibson and Kimaxe both have Ebony boards and the Razorback has a Rosewood one. Works just fine
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

sounds good, you know if they sell it at GC?
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
I know they do but I can't it on their site, I've told people to pick it up locally at Guitar Center and they've came back with bottles. Pretty sure Elderly carries it on their website, also browse Ebay
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60