Would it be possible to make multiple e-bows in a glove format so that you could play multiple strings at a time? As I understand it, an ebow only affects one string but could you make several and have an ebow glove?

Does something like this exist? Has anyone ever heard of someone trying it?
"A dog returns to its own vomit"
Last edited by I_Am_Blashyrkh at Nov 18, 2009,
Not really possible but you can use up to two of them at the same time, there just isn't enough room to fit more than that.
Quote by TrasherFromHell
Not really possible but you can use up to two of them at the same time, there just isn't enough room to fit more than that.

Well I was thinking of creating my own electromagnets and routing the power source elsewhere. Thus my version would be smaller. Real ebows are limited and clunky. As far as I understand the technology, all I need to do is create a sufficient electromagnetic field and I can make the strings vibrate.
First off, Have you ever used an eBow? They take a second or two to have an effect on the string in question, and usually block out the strings on either side. If you modified the magnets within to fit into the finger of a glove, then yes it could work, although it'd be quite difficult to use properly. You could probably get it eventually.

TL;DR: Yes it's possible, although highly impractical.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
First off, Have you ever used an eBow? They take a second or two to have an effect on the string in question, and usually block out the strings on either side. If you modified the magnets within to fit into the finger of a glove, then yes it could work, although it'd be quite difficult to use properly. You could probably get it eventually.

TL;DR: Yes it's possible, although highly impractical.

Yeah I was just thinking it could open up the possibilities more. And I dont want to modify existing ebows. I want to create a more compact version that would attach to the fingers thus allowing me to resonate any string at any time.
You might be onto something there, but I think the adjacent electromagnetic fields would interfere with each other. The strength you'd need to affect the string and cause it to resonate would probably be enough to mess with your fingers.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
or get yourself a builtin sustainer kit and put that in your guitar.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by funguy

I've just made my own Sustainer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXB92cSQi8E (you can skip the first 18 seconds - that's just to show the LEDs). You can read a little bit more about why I mounted the sustainer where I did here...

http://forum.ibanez.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=78114

Or here another Sustainer Video I made but with captions here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=106Se7AHknc

So I know a fair bit about Sustainers & Ebows (though I don't own an Ebow)

I started off on my sustainer journey making sustainer coils for single strings (which is what you'd need here)...it actually doesn't take wa whole lot of electrical power to start a string sustaining - especially if you can get really close to is (so the bit about damaging your fingers is a misnomer).

But at best it'd be cumbersome - you're gonna have all manner of problems with crosstalk too.

Still, it'd be cool to see you progres, so if you do start out on this journey, be sure to post regulair piccie updates!
Quote by funguy

well sustainer kits dont quite get the same effect and sound as an ebow. You have a lot of ambient noise possibilities with an ebow
Quote by HankMcSpank
I've just made my own Sustainer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXB92cSQi8E (you can skip the first 18 seconds - that's just to show the LEDs). You can read a little bit more about why I mounted the sustainer where I did here...

http://forum.ibanez.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=78114

Or here another Sustainer Video I made but with captions here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=106Se7AHknc

So I know a fair bit about Sustainers & Ebows (though I don't own an Ebow)

I started off on my sustainer journey making sustainer coils for single strings (which is what you'd need here)...it actually doesn't take wa whole lot of electrical power to start a string sustaining - especially if you can get really close to is (so the bit about damaging your fingers is a misnomer).

But at best it'd be cumbersome - you're gonna have all manner of problems with crosstalk too.

Still, it'd be cool to see you progres, so if you do start out on this journey, be sure to post regulair piccie updates!

Yeah I have a few ideas about how to cut down on the cumbersome aspect of it. One even being a system where you could temporarily surface mount an apparatus. Its great to know that there are people who have played around with it though.
Any tips you may have on how to create the strongest electromagnetic field with the least amount of voltage would be great! (wire gauge, number of winds, voltage, etc.)

I definitely plan on building some prototypes and tinkering around with it. If I get anything good ill throw it up on here.
the force of the other electromagnets affecting the other strings would be a problem unless you could find a way to dampen the strings that you don't want vibrating. like one of those things Michael Angelo Batio uses on his double neck guitars.
Quote by I_Am_Blashyrkh
Would it be possible to make multiple e-bows in a glove format so that you could play multiple strings at a time? As I understand it, an ebow only affects one string but could you make several and have an ebow glove?

Does something like this exist? Has anyone ever heard of someone trying it?

Basically the Fernandes "Sustainer" does this by incorporating the magnetic sustaining transducer into one of the pickups (often near the neck pup ~2nd harmonic).

A more elaborate and advanced implementation was introduced last year into the Moog guitar. This has a lot more circuitry to maintain a controlled level of infinite sustain into the signal. This additional complexity comes at a much higher cost than the sustainer system and I personally don't know how much better the Moog guitar is than the sustainer equipt axes, since I have never played one.
Main Rig:Yami Pac1412 TransRed (EVO, HS2, Hot Rails) ->Bad Horsie->GNX3K ->MagicStomp->L/R PA
Ampeg VL503, Ampeg V4, Digitech GNX2, Art SGX2K; AXES: Yam Pac1412 RedBurst & Weddington Custom & CPX-15W, '63 Gibson SG Custom & '80 ES-350T