After replaying Assassins Creed and getting into Assassin's Creed 2, I'm in a rather philosophical mood.

So, pit, I have a question for you.

Is it possible for one's opinion, pertinent to the base fact it relates to, to be proved true or false? And if so, is it acceptable to force the truth/fallacy on the individual?

For example: Members of the Ku Klux Klan feel that Blacks are less worthy, subhuman, and should be killed or enslaved. That is their opinion. Scientifically and logically, their opinion is wrong. Accepting this fact, if the members still refuse to listen to reason, and insist on harming/killing Blacks, with no ability/want to change their views, would it be acceptable to eliminate these members of the KKK, in order to form a more logical, safer society? Or would killing them put those who reject their false opinion on the same level as the KKK themselves? Conversely, would failing to act, allowing Blacks to be harmed/killed, also put us on the same level?

This could be applied to Nazi's as well, along with many others.

This is just the first example that came to mind.

After thinking about this for awhile, I have reached my own conclusion. It is my view that while all human's may be equal, their experiences and conditioning may influence their actions in a way that is detrimental to society. If these individuals are unwilling or unable to change their flawed, and ultimately harmful mindsets, these individuals must be killed for the benefit and survival of mankind as a whole.

Thoughts?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by SteveHouse
Ya rly, write it brah.

I'm not that dedicated
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Damn...all that from Assassin's Creed? awesome.
Gear:
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom 24
Marshall MG30DFX
ISP Noise Decimator
Need a new amp. Any ideas? PM me

Quote by Kensai
Either you got the wrong thread or the gays in your state are very well hung.

An opinion based upon false assumptions is sad. An opinion based upon lies is criminal.
Killl them Killl them allll!!!!!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Well, I think of this as basic math.

Would the loss of a bigots life result in the saving of many lives to come? If so, off with their head.

You could also think about these bigots as sections of DNA that have been coded wrong. If your body going to keep that wrongly coded section of DNA just because "all DNA is precious", or is it going to get the **** rid of it? So, are we going to keep these "wrongly coded" humans just because "all life is precious", or are we going to prune them off for the betterment of our society?

Also, there is a Philosophy thread for all this, but I've realized that there are just so many topics that fall under Philosophy that if they were all discussed there, that it would be near impossible to continue a debate/conversation on say... determinism if there are a bunch of other people talking about origin of species and theology and the same time. Things would get quite cluttered.
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
Last edited by divinecrossfire at Nov 18, 2009,
Quote by divinecrossfire
Well, I think of this as basic math.

Would the loss of a bigots life result in the saving of many lives to come? If so, off with their head.

Also, there is a Philosophy thread for all this, but I've realized that there are just so many topics that fall under Philosophy that if they were all discussed there, that it would be near impossible to continue a debate/conversation on say... determinism if there are a bunch of other people talking about origin of species and theology and the same time. Things would get quite cluttered.

Oh, my apologies. If someone requests this to be closed, I will delete it. I don't think it will be necessary, it'll die soon anyway.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
If science is true, there is no meaning or morals, so it would be ok to force your opinion on others. And you can't truly prove anything right. Opinions are opinions and the only thing you really know is real is yourself.
Who's got the high ground deciding what's good for society and what's bad for it? Can we trust them? How do we know that the logical mindset they put the masses in won't lead to a manipulation of the hoi polloi according their own agenda in the future?

Wait.

The ending of AC1 answered that! After being sent to kill the evil templars, they were in fact okay guys and your master was the evil dick wanting to make a utopia of his own!

Anyway, I say let the haters hate, place boundaries on their violent tendencies, and educate the public instead to laugh at their backward-ass views rather than be swayed by it. Pruning the tree of humanity of the bad leaves does sound desirable, but in the end we're no better than them, attempting to assert our moral superiority.

I think I'll play AC. Gotta wait till tomorrow or the next day to buy number two =\
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Quote by Wulphy
Oh, my apologies. If someone requests this to be closed, I will delete it. I don't think it will be necessary, it'll die soon anyway.

Oh please, don't apologize.

I don't want this thread closed as much as the next guy, I just thought it would be a good time to point out a flaw in the "Only" rule when you have topics as broad as philosophy.
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Epic post. Wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the subconscious and other psychological stuff.
I agree but everybody, unfortunately even those who harm society have a moral right to live. Also I believe the world will always need balance in everything; rich & poor people, good & bad people, crime & justice, etc. that creates action/solutions and ideologies, develops society as a whole and ultimately eliminates the weaker and less unstable ideas. Some may take many years and others may never change. Religions for example, may always exist but they ultimately create the balance needed in this world.
Resourcing to killing and eliminating the opposite view is not the best solution, as killing would be quite hypocritical. Best to let time and society's advancement to take care of it over time, even if it costs some peoples lives it's just the way of nature and survival as it has for the past millions of years. Without that balance we wouldn't be where we are now.
Jesus AC2 is that good huh? I just recently finished Uncharted 2 for the 3rd time on crushing, so i need something new to play.

Is it really worth the $120 though ?
Day after day, love turns gray. Like the skin on a dying man.

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

PSN: Allshalperish
Steam ID: Fiesal

Check out my band!
Quote by divinecrossfire
Oh please, don't apologize.

I don't want this thread closed as much as the next guy, I just thought it would be a good time to point out a flaw in the "Only" rule when you have topics as broad as philosophy.

Threads like this are condoned now because the Only problem is pretty well-known.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

^Ah, ok.
Quote by RedDeath9
Divinecrossfire...

Here's my take...

Most people confuse fact and opinion, heck, I wrote a song about this recently as this confusion causes all sorts of problems and drives me nuts in a bad way.

Let's take for example we were to take a look at a guitar....

This Guitar Sucks = Opinion
This guitar's tuners don't stay in tune = Fact

And no matter how ridiculous it might seem to you, someone may still think the guitar rocks despite the tuners not staying in tune. All too many times people get in their brand/model worship and claim this rules and this sucks, when it's merely an opinion.

I feel everyone has a right to have their preferences, but cramming them down my throat by claiming them as fact is where I begin to have a problem with it. This is such a common practice by my peers it's one reason I'm not the most social person around. You can't argue with an idiot, and there are just too many out there.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)