So, right then. I'lm looking into getting into electrics after i've been with acoustics for a while. Im not sure yet on what guitar I'll get, but nothing TOO expensive. However, for my 1st amp i was looking at a Vypyer 30 ( over the 15, for the stompbox effects, dont really need 30 watts). I also looked at vox VT30s and VT15s but i kinda like the vypyer 30s. However, I know many dont like SS amps and SS modeling amps at that. Should i just get a simlarly priced tube amp with a low wattage? This will be my only amp for a long while, and i dont have tons of money to spend on footpedals, which is why i was thinking the "versatile" vypyr 30 would be good to start with, although not a really high quality tube amp. If it helps, I play alot of different kinds of music, anything from some skynard songs, to shinedown, to blink 182, to green day, to punk-ish songs, pretty much anything but country.

Any help is appreciated.
the vypyr is a great choice for a first amp.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
The Vypyr is a great amp, beginner or no.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
well idk but that doesnt seem like much of a variety of musical taste seeing as you dont seem to require hi gain for any of those, you might wanna look into some tube amps because most usually have at least good pregain for punky distortion and have good cleans whereas a vypyr might have some hi gain you might not need (unless you wanna play metal too)
just test various 5 watt tubez at local guitar stores
I have a vypyr 15 i use for late night practicing and it works well for that. It takes some playing with to find good sounding settings as it seems to eq differently than the real amps do. It has the same problems that most modeling amps (and most solid state amps in general) do: It does cleans and heavy distortion well, but light to med distortion doesnt sound all that convincing, not bad, but not great either.

If you're wanting it for effects, look elsewhere. most sound like crap or are just toys. the delay and reverb are pretty decent, though. I can't speak for the stomp box models as the 15 doesnt have them, but i wouldnt expect much.

I can't think of any tube amps in that price range. If you're looking at this amp being your only one for a long while, I suggest saving up to buy something that you really like. I've heard a lot of good things about the larger, tube-driven vypyrs and i believe they have a built in attenuater, so volume control wont be a problem
The vyper thirty retails for 300 and you can get a superchamp XD for the same price and have all tube tone that is great for any of those bands.
the vypyer 30 is $200, accautly.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
i have a vypyr 75 watt that i use for practice, overall i love it, but yeah i do agree if you have a decent budget for amps, you can go with peavey valveking 112 combo which cost around $400, sounds awesome and very affordable compare to other brand amps.

ps: gundamnitpete, i did not know where you get the pricing for the 30 vypyr, i got mine, the 75 watt vypyr for $199 at sam ash
My Guitar and gear:
09 Ibanez S prestige
09 Ibanez RG prestige
09 Ibanez Egen18
09 Ibanez 7 string UV custom
Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
digitec rp1000
Randall T2 HH all tube head
Vox Ac30 all tube heads
Randall RS412XL cabs
i just went to musiciansfriend
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete

oh, well never buy anything from musiciansfriend, usually when it comes to amps, i'm looking for special offer or discount and prefer to buy locally as ur able to return ur product and get ur money back on the spot, while buying from website like musician friend needs to wait for ur refund.
My Guitar and gear:
09 Ibanez S prestige
09 Ibanez RG prestige
09 Ibanez Egen18
Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
digitec rp1000
Vox Ac30 all tube heads
Randall RS412XL cabs
Quote by Gundamnitpete

btw, i'm planning to buy the ESP horizon, how do u think of that guitar?
My Guitar and gear:
09 Ibanez S prestige
09 Ibanez RG prestige
09 Ibanez Egen18
Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
digitec rp1000
Vox Ac30 all tube heads
Randall RS412XL cabs
Quote by S4V10R_X
oh, well never buy anything from musiciansfriend, usually when it comes to amps, i'm looking for special offer or discount and prefer to buy locally as ur able to return ur product and get ur money back on the spot, while buying from website like musician friend needs to wait for ur refund.

yeah, i just used it to find the pricing on the vypyr 30.

The horizon looks great! I really love my 600, extremely well built and solid guitar. she's me new wife
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Well, i do play a little bit of heavier stuff every now and then (depending on what you define as heavy.. probably not too heavy) so i wouldnt need hi-gain all the time as was noted. Also, the reason for the 30 vs the 15, was that i was told by several people the stompbox effects were "worth it". I dont really need a ton of wattage. As for tube amps, theres not many within the price range of the vypyr i can find, save for the little epiphone and a bugera 5 watt. Any other thoughts?

And to all who posted, thanks for the help!
This belongs in the gga forum ... post in there next time ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

I'm actually in the market for my second amp, using a Roland microcube now. I want something with more variety of sounds available. I mostly play metal like Amon Amarth, Norther, Killswitch and the like. I haven't gotten around to actually play anything since the guitar stores are kind of far away but I have narrowed it down to a Roland Cube 20x or the Peavey Vypyr 30. I think my microcube that I have now sounds really good so I imagine the Cube 20 will be just as good, but the Vypyr appears to have more versatility. Could anyone tell me the pros and cons of each one?
I can vouch for the vypyr as I've owned one since the release.

Unless you are set on one genre and one genre only, then a modelling amp is a great way to go.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Thanks for all the help and putting up with another amp thread here.. Going to lookat/play and chose between the vypyr and a vibrochamp XD and maybe a vox Vt15/30 (nice 50$ rebate on those).
Quote by Thudpaw
I'm actually in the market for my second amp, using a Roland microcube now. I want something with more variety of sounds available. I mostly play metal like Amon Amarth, Norther, Killswitch and the like. I haven't gotten around to actually play anything since the guitar stores are kind of far away but I have narrowed it down to a Roland Cube 20x or the Peavey Vypyr 30. I think my microcube that I have now sounds really good so I imagine the Cube 20 will be just as good, but the Vypyr appears to have more versatility. Could anyone tell me the pros and cons of each one?

i don't know about other people, i realy encourage you to get vox AC30 heads as to me, it's really versatile...planning to get my 2nd head too, is either the carvin legacy II series with the 3 channels head amps of the randall T2HH Gus G signature...anybody have any advise on this 2 heads?

thanks in advance.
My Guitar and gear:
09 Ibanez S prestige
09 Ibanez RG prestige
09 Ibanez Egen18
Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
digitec rp1000
Vox Ac30 all tube heads
Randall RS412XL cabs
Quote by Gundamnitpete
yeah, i just used it to find the pricing on the vypyr 30.

The horizon looks great! I really love my 600, extremely well built and solid guitar. she's me new wife

I love the LTD, but one thing suck about it is the pick up, which is EMGHZ...you know that the EMGHZ is made in china right?

i'm still thinkin about ESP horizon or the caparison dellinger guitars, can't decide on this 2.
My Guitar and gear:
09 Ibanez S prestige
09 Ibanez RG prestige
09 Ibanez Egen18
Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
digitec rp1000
Vox Ac30 all tube heads
Randall RS412XL cabs