First off I am not a noob when it comes to guitar playing and understanding however i'm about in SPED class when it comes to pickups.

Here is the best way I can tell you what I want and what pick ups will give me this, i'm sorry if it is hard to understand, ill do my best!!

Lets start off with an example, with pick ups in my current guitar when I play "Angel of Death" by Slayer the first riff with the alternate picking I want each note of that alternate pick to sound like its own note like it does on the good covers on youtube. To me it sounds like a big mash of E string and it makes me a sad panda. For leads I like something that picks up harmonics well and it just wails and screams with soul and provides a good sound for sweep picking and fast-ass tremelo picking if anyone can pick up what i'm putting down here.

On another note I have ordered in a Mockingbird ST guitar which has Rockfield "Mafia" pick ups in it. I went on to www.rockfieldpickups.com and listened to the demos and they pretty much sound like rock material and like they couldn't do metal. Am I wrong? I am basing this on my noobie opinion however I figure with my luck it'd be my best bet to buy new pick ups with the guitar when it comes in.

To summarize this mess up a bit i'm basicaly asking if those Rockfield pups will give me what i'm looking for and if not what pickups (that hopefully would be in stock in most music stores) would I look for. If I may mention price id rather it be reasonable, whatever that may be with pick ups.

Thank you all for reading my mess of words and hopefully coming to a conclusion. Have a good night UG!
Last edited by String-Dancer at Nov 18, 2009,
Sorry I completely forgot to mention this, Id like the pickups to be able to put out a deep sad clean tone like Sanitarium by Metallica and hopefully a bright funky tone if possible too, thanks!
Well first off my freind we dotn know what guitar you are currently using. Second is that any pickup can be used for metal. some just sound better than others based on our personal prefreance. I suggest looking up what kerry king uses and then see bout purchasign those if you realy want his sound. the sound you described above can be acheived by many diffrent pickups out there you just have to look and see for yourself.
Well I want all kinds of sounds I just used Kerry kings angel of death as an example. I am currently using an epiphone korina 56 V with some alpine pick ups or something in it.
Whats your current amp?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Current amp is Peavey Vypyr 75w, I use the Twin for cleans and the Rectifier for my leads and rhythm
Ok

So your looking for a more articulate pickup for your rhythm playing? This mush of E notes could be bad eqing, whats your current eq settings?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I'm positive my tones fine i'm pretty good with that, Lows all the way up highs about 5/6 of the way up mids scooped pre gain full post gain half