Hello peeps,i have been learning to play for about 8 mths now and want to get an electric and amp.I like playing country/southern rock style music and want to know which guitar i need for this style.Tele,Strat,LesP or what.i am totally green, although i have been looking at Orange Amps.Are they good?
Telecasters are great for country and rock. What is your budget?
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

<$600? Hmm... If you go with a telecaster, I recommend a Squier version, which are, dollar for dollar, not entirely bad. The standard version charts in at around $230 at your local GC, but a Affinity Series only drops you ~$180. The main differences between them are the hardware and the material. Affinity is made of Alder and is better suited for after market upgrades, and the Standard is made of Agathis, but has better stock hardware. Any Squier Telecasters like the Vintage Modified, Custom and Custom 2 are all of similar quality to the Standard but feature humbucking pickups in some sort of arrangement with or replacing the single coils the Standard has, and are more expensive because of this.

However, if Squiers are not to your liking Fender Standard Telecasters and Stratocasters cost around $500(MIM), leaving <$100 dollars for your amp, which won't get you anything worthwhile, and definitely not an Orange amp. Epiphone Les Paul Studio is around $300, but it's got more of a heavy metal/hard rock sound to it. But an Epiphone Dot Studio (also ~$300) has a good Southern/Country sound to it and might be right in your ballpark, and its a hollow body electric so it looks classy as all hell and will probably be a more comfortable transition from acoustic guitars. And if you're close enough to $600 you could probably shell out the little extra to get a regular Epi Dot, which looks even more classy.
For your first electric guitar, any of these are good but it doesn't really matter long as you have at least $200 dollars left over for your amp, you should be in the clear.

Lets say you go with the Squier Standard Tele, that puts you right in the range for a
Orange Crush 30R, which cost ~$200 and has recieved a pretty solid 9/10 on UG Reviews Page and is definitely recommended if you can find one. From what I've heard, this amp will most likely last you a number of years and you could also use it as a performance amp should you choose to gig. That gives you $100+ left to get a gig bag or case, a couple of cables and a distortion pedal (The Orange 30R doesn't have a built in distortion effect).

TL;DR: Orange Amps are very good. The Tele Strat or Epiphone Dot are your best bets for sounding country/southern rock.
Last edited by kangaxxter at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by kangaxxter
<$600? Hmm... If you go with a telecaster, I recommend a Squier version, which are, dollar for dollar, not entirely bad. The standard version charts in at around $230 at your local GC, but a Affinity Series only drops you ~$180. The main differences between them are the hardware and the material. Affinity is made of Alder and is better suited for after market upgrades, and the Standard is made of Agathis, but has better stock hardware. Any Squier Telecasters like the Vintage Modified, Custom and Custom 2 are all of similar quality to the Standard but feature humbucking pickups in some sort of arrangement with or replacing the single coils the Standard has, and are more expensive because of this.

However, if Squiers are not to your liking Fender Standard Telecasters and Stratocasters cost around $500(MIM), leaving <$100 dollars for your amp, which won't get you anything worthwhile, and definitely not an Orange amp. Epiphone Les Paul Studio is around $300, but it's got more of a heavy metal/hard rock sound to it. But an Epiphone Dot Studio (also ~$300) has a good Southern/Country sound to it and might be right in your ballpark, and its a hollow body electric so it looks classy as all hell and will probably be a more comfortable transition from acoustic guitars. And if you're close enough to $600 you could probably shell out the little extra to get a regular Epi Dot, which looks even more classy.
For your first electric guitar, any of these are good but it doesn't really matter long as you have at least $200 dollars left over for your amp, you should be in the clear.

Lets say you go with the Squier Standard Tele, that puts you right in the range for a
Orange Crush 30R, which cost ~$200 and has recieved a pretty solid 9/10 on UG Reviews Page and is definitely recommended if you can find one. From what I've heard, this amp will most likely last you a number of years and you could also use it as a performance amp should you choose to gig. That gives you $100+ left to get a gig bag or case, a couple of cables and a distortion pedal (The Orange 30R doesn't have a built in distortion effect).

TL;DR: Orange Amps are very good. The Tele Strat or Epiphone Dot are your best bets for sounding country/southern rock.

lol...do u know how much an orange amps cost?

the cheapest one which is the tiny terror cost around $600

i'll say go with strats and a peavey 30 watt vypyr amp and tons of fx to get the tones u want.
My Guitar and gear:
09 Ibanez S prestige
09 Ibanez RG prestige
09 Ibanez Egen18
09 Ibanez 7 string UV custom
Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
digitec rp1000
Randall T2 HH all tube head
Vox Ac30 all tube heads
Randall RS412XL cabs
Quote by S4V10R_X

i'll say go with strats and a peavey 30 watt vypyr amp and tons of fx to get the tones u want.

The Orange Crush 30R, which he suggests at the bottom of his post, sells for ~$200...
Quote by S4V10R_X

Somebody hasn't done their research...

Just in case you can't find it on your own, here's a link to prove you wrong:
http://www.humbuckermusic.com/orcr30ramins.html
and another (it's the fourth one down):
http://www.musicsource123.com/index.php?cPath=54_58
and a third, that is interestingly enough on this site:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/orange/crush_30r/index.html
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Nov 19, 2009,