so ive been playing guitar abour 6 years. im in a band called Along The Skylines (myspace us)we play hardcore/metalcore/breakcore. But lately, I just have not been able to come up with any riffs, or songs, or even ideas and its really killing me. Ive been busting my butt to keep coming up with stuff and I just cant, and I feel like im slowing down the progress of my band. i have very little knowledge of music theory, but i do know what note goes where and easy stuff like that. i just need some help because i feel like im wasting a guitar.

p.s. we play in drop d

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
search The Crusades, its a great article on here and itll definitally help you with music theory. i used it and it really helped me. if you dont really wanna do that... the only thing i can really think of is to try jamming with different people, youll be able to blend ideas with the people you play with, and itll help come up with different ideas and harmonies
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Go for a walk. Hang out at a food court or ride a bus or something. Go anywhere where you'll be able to eavesdrop on people's conversations. You'll find the seed of a story there. You'll have to write your own ending, and probably your own beginning too, but if you watch people and listen to them, they can be great sources of ideas.

From there, go somewhere where you can be by yourself - no distractions. Bring a hand-held recorder - even your phone will probably do. Just start humming or singing or whatever and find a melody that grabs your ear. Maybe that melodic idea will even go with a lyrical phrase. Great. Run with it, and see where it goes.

For me personally, many of my best ideas have come to me either in the shower, or when I am driving withOUT the radio on. The good news is that, if you still remember it when you get home, it's probably pretty good.

Then go home and grab your guitar. Start trying to flesh out the ideas.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
You can write the best about subjects that you know.

Consider what is important to you and write about it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by axemanchris
Go for a walk. Hang out at a food court or ride a bus or something. Go anywhere where you'll be able to eavesdrop on people's conversations. You'll find the seed of a story there. You'll have to write your own ending, and probably your own beginning too, but if you watch people and listen to them, they can be great sources of ideas.

From there, go somewhere where you can be by yourself - no distractions. Bring a hand-held recorder - even your phone will probably do. Just start humming or singing or whatever and find a melody that grabs your ear. Maybe that melodic idea will even go with a lyrical phrase. Great. Run with it, and see where it goes.

For me personally, many of my best ideas have come to me either in the shower, or when I am driving withOUT the radio on. The good news is that, if you still remember it when you get home, it's probably pretty good.

Then go home and grab your guitar. Start trying to flesh out the ideas.

CT

the thing is i cant get what i hear in my head out of my finger tips and its really frustrating.
Yes you can, you're just expecting to be able to "do" it rather than accepting that it's going to take a fair bit of hard work in the early stages.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com