i'm kinda new in this guitar cleaning thing so, i just want to make sure. my fretboard is really dirty.
HI, I'M IZZ
Dont use sandpaper! Use some fretboard conditioner/cleaner & a microfiber or cotton cloth. Use a toothbrush to clean around the frets. Make sure you wipe across the fretboard and bot up & down the fretboard.
Worked for me on a lot of project guitars.
For some reason, the thread title seemed really funny.
Maybe, it's the using an abrasive to polish part...

Use a fretboard cleaner, and a microfiber cloth. As chasesrc said.
..I was watching my death.
if it's a rose wood board just use lemon oil and an old toothbrush the 0000 steel wool is for polishing the frets, but don't use sand paper for that, unless you're trying to level the frets (which you shouldn't try to do)
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by The4thHorsemen
if it's a rose wood board just use lemon oil and an old toothbrush

I'm curious, would a vibrating toothbrush work better?
I got an old one of those.

I have a very dirty Fretboard on my Goldcaster, and the dirt, isn't even mine!
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
I'm curious, would a vibrating toothbrush work better?
I got an old one of those.

I have a very dirty Fretboard on my Goldcaster, and the dirt, isn't even mine!

i don't really see it making any difference, but you can try.
Sandpaper with a high enough grit would just clog. Too low a grit will remove wood from the board.

you can also use 4/0 (0000) steel wool to buff the board. It works great because it polishes the frets at the same time.

If you MUST use sandpaper, use 800 grit or higher (i'd start with 1000). That'll shine the frets up nice, but it might clog too soon if the fretboard is overly dirty.

When you finish it all up, rub on some lemon oil. That'll meke the board look awesome and helps protect and condition it.