So I'm looking into getting a new 15w amp soon, and I was wondering about your guys' opinions on three different types of amps.

For what it's worth, I like to play mostly punk and hard rock, etc., but I have been dabbling more into music featuring clean tones, so I'd like to have decent distortion as well as decent clean tones.

I was considering these three amps:

Peavey Vypyr 15w
Marshall MG4 15w
Line III Spider 15w
(- what exactly is the difference between the Spider III and the Spider IV?)

Which of these amps do you advise most for me, and why?

Thanks ahead for your help!
peavey.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
also look into the roland cubes. they are excellent.

and dont even consider getting the mg or spider. terrible.
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
Vypyrs are pretty good, but I dunno those new MG4's sound pretty good.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm going to be nice by simply saying - no VS. threads and get a Vypyr.

I read the sticky and was under the impression that I couldn't make threads that said "Which [whatever] is best?" but threads asking "Which [whatever] do you think would work best for me?" were legitimate. I apologize if this was frowned upon.

Normally I would have gone with Vypyr without asking, but a friend of a friend who's been playing guitar for a long time and is probably going to get a degree in guitar performance suggested both the Spider and the MG4 over the Vypyr. So I came here for some extra opinions. I'll probably have to test 'em all out first, I guess.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm going to be nice by simply saying - no VS. threads and get a Vypyr.

+1

TS:
Normally threads like this wouldn't be called VS. threads...unless you put it in the title

Anyway...the new MGs are a huge improvement over the old ones...which still sounded better the Spiders imo. But regardless...the Vypyr blows them both away. Period.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Nov 19, 2009,
Vypyr. There is no competition. Unless you stick a Roland cube next to it, or a Vox.

The Vypyr is versatile, has a very nice selection of effects and settings. You don't really want the spider because it really isn't all that great, I've had the (dis)pleasure of having to borrow one for a few months.

Really, you are going to have to read up on how to use the vypyr (They can be quite complex to someone who hasn't used one before) go out to a music store and try it out. It also helps if you try out a Roland or a Vox.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Okay I'm gunna go out on a limb here and suggest the MG *flamesheild up*
Here's why. You sound like you just want an amp to plug into and play and personally I thought the vyper was over complicated and the spider sounds horrific. The MG is a pretty good plug and play practice amp. Sure it's not going to get you amazing tones but it's allright for what it is. A practice amp.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I really like the Vypyr myself; But a hint of advice is to find a website that has User made Settings to sound like <This band> or that. Unless you just have godly EQ skills...I'm bad. Its really helped me enjoy mine...although, I want a tube now...
American Strat
Peavey Vypyr 75w
MG.

Huge improvement in tone and the overdrive channel from the last series MG, I had an old Digitech RP350 that went quite well with it also. Really gave it a nice voicing in everything for a crappy practice amp.

If you want some built-in effects to mess around with though, go with a Vypyr.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Thanks for all the help guys, and I apologize for the unfortunate naming of the thread. I'll be a little more conscious of that next time.

SheLeftMe, do you know of any specific website that does that? I'll try to Google it anyways, but if you have anything specific that'd help me out a lot.
The Vypyr's not complicated. Spend about a half hour with one and you figure it out pretty quickly. The whole instruction manual is pretty much on its face.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Just because there is the word "vs." in the title doesn't mean it's breaking the rules. It only applies in the case when the question is general and incites flaming like "BEST BRAND EVAR: FENDAR VS. MARSHEL". It's annoying that even the regulars seem to forget that.

Anyway i would suggest that you go with the Vypyr. It just sounds better and the general consensus is that your other two suggestions suck donkey balls when it comes to tone, many would advise you to avoid it. Theres also the Roland Cube and the Vox Valvetronix line which you may want to try.

In terms of features, all of these amps are pretty identical so it's really up to personal preference which one you get.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
^ part of the reason bro...imo is because for someone to put VS. in the title twice is like snubbing the Rules despite. Every forum has a set of rules. They are there for a reason. Often it is to reduce flaming and spamming.

Yes he/she has a decent OP and is trying to narrow it down but come on...

TS - check out the features and clips of the Vypyr, Valvetronix, and the Cube micro/or 30 and go with it.
Get the Vypyr.

Just because someone with a degree tells you to get the MG or Spider, it doesn't mean they sound good.

The Vypyr is not overly complicated to dial in. The speaker of the 15W version sounds a bit too bassy, so I wouldn't dial in too much bass in the EQ. And don't push the gain to 10, leave it at 3/4. If you don't want to dial in sounds yourself, just go through the preset banks, they are pretty nice.

I really wouldn't suggest you the Spider, I've played it many times because many of my friends have it. None of the 4 channels are useable IMO.

And the MG isn't worth the money, you'll do better with the Vypyr, honestly.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Get the Vypyr.

Just because someone with a degree tells you to get the MG or Spider, it doesn't mean they sound good.

The Vypyr is not overly complicated to dial in. The speaker of the 15W version sounds a bit too bassy,
so I wouldn't dial in too much bass in the EQ. And don't push the gain to 10, leave it at 3/4. If you don't want to dial in sounds yourself, just go through the preset banks, they are pretty nice.

I really wouldn't suggest you the Spider, I've played it many times because many of my friends have it. None of the 4 channels are useable IMO.

And the MG isn't worth the money, you'll do better with the Vypyr, honestly.

Are you sure about this? If i recall the 15w has an 8" speaker and smaller speakers almost always have lower bass response than bigger speakers, if anything it should have increased mids.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Vypyr.

But next time, reword the title so it doesn't have 'Vs.' in the title.

I won't report you, but some Ub3r UG'ers will
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.