I want to try jazz band next year at school. If you can name a chord I can probably play it. If you can name a key I can solo over it. But what are all the techniques I should master?

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Quote by XianXiuHong
Lots of alternate picking, finger picking, hybrid picking and stuff like that.

Learn to sweep on clean and stuff too.

This is Jazz band the TS was talking about.
If you have knowledge of different chord voicings and chord constructions that's a good start. I guess jazz style phrasing would be good to learn, and different lines. Learning appregios to play over chords would be good too.
Quote by WyvernOmega
I want to try jazz band next year at school. If you can name a chord I can probably play it. If you can name a key I can solo over it. But what are all the techniques I should master?

Learn to improvise chord changes and solo following the chords. If you can do those then you can do a half decent job of jazz.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by WyvernOmega

Mainly you'll be playing chords pretty damn quickly in a school jazz band. Get used to reading music well and being able to change chords as fast as you possibly can.
If you want to do more than just that then spend some time looking at jazz and learning to improvise as much as possible with the music.
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

Quote by ApeWeevil
Mainly you'll be playing chords pretty damn quickly in a school jazz band. Get used to reading music well and being able to change chords as fast as you possibly can.
If you want to do more than just that then spend some time looking at jazz and learning to improvise as much as possible with the music.

This. You may think you know your chords, but when your playing a piece of sheet music littered with 13's, 11's, flat fifths, and flat sevenths, it can get difficult.