so i'm looking for a 212 cab for my randall rh150, i play mostly metal and don't know which one to choose, i'm beetween the tradicional and the contemporary, are there any avatar cab users that can describe the sound of each cab?

http://avatarspeakers.com/Contemporary%20212.htm

http://avatarspeakers.com/g212h.htm
ibanez rg370dx (Crunchlab/Area 58/Liquifire)
ibanez rgr320ex (EMG 81/85)
ibanez grx20 (Super 3/PAF PRO)
ibanez gsr205 bass
randall rh150 head
avatar 2x12 contemporary cab (GK-100's)
boss GT8
ibanez weeping demon wah
line 6 ux1
basically cosmetic differences, you choose what speakers you want and stuff.
Contemporary all the way. The Traditional looks thin a whimpy.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Contemporary all the way. The Traditional looks thin a whimpy.

Unless you are putting a Bassman on it, which looks godly.

Edit:
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Thanks 311, I think this thread has now been sufficiently sex-ified.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

(tube - that is so siggable)

TS: Call Dave at Avatar and talk it though with him to see if there are any tonal differences. As far as I know they are exactly the same except the wood used on the front is thicker to give it a rugged look but the actual Birch wood that makes the cab is the same thickness. I could be wrong.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

(tube - that is so siggable)

TS: Call Dave at Avatar and talk it though with him to see if there are any tonal differences. As far as I know they are exactly the same except the wood used on the front is thicker to give it a rugged look but the actual Birch wood that makes the cab is the same thickness. I could be wrong.

BTW I just opened up my Avatar the other night... Those things are so solid, the wood in there looks great. I was really blown away by the construction and material quality.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^Couldn't agree more tube. I was very happy with what I saw once I 'finally' got the back off. Very well built imo.

Haha, so well built I couldn't get the back off... I had to just peek through the handle cuts. You make me jealous with the Classic Lead 80 though... I was in a rush when I ordered and didn't do as much research as I should have, I regret not mixing a CL 80 in there with my V30.

Back on topic - TS I photoshopped my head onto one of the pics on the site to help decide how it would look. As 311 said, Dave is really helpful and will tell you the, if any, difference tonally, but I don't think there are any.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You're right guys, whimpy is just my opinion. Nothing against the Trad style I'm sure they're built and sound great. I'm just not a fan of the Fender type of cab design.
I personally think they pair well with classic and vintage type amps like the Bassman above, but for more modern amps I think the Contemporary matches up better. Or even the oversized Vintage cab (Bogner clone)
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
You're right guys, whimpy is just my opinion. Nothing against the Trad style I'm sure they're built and sound great. I'm just not a fan of the Fender type of cab design.
I personally think they pair well with classic and vintage type amps like the Bassman above, but for more modern amps I think the Contemporary matches up better. Or even the oversized Vintage cab (Bogner clone)

I agree completely. If I had a 5150 or something I would definitely go contemporary. But for my Bassman, and 311's Splawn I think the traditional is perfect.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I ordered a Traditional the other day, simply because I thought the Contemporary was TOO beefy looking. Different strokes for different folks, they say.

Of course, I also got mine in blue tolex...because I'm a geek, my amp LEDS are blue, and I reaaaally like blue.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
so the contemporary wouldn't add more bass than the traditional because is beefier?

i would prefer the traditional because i know is lighter than the contemporary (i'm a lazy guy), and the traditional looks like a fender cab so obviously dont want a fender tone for metal
ibanez rg370dx (Crunchlab/Area 58/Liquifire)
ibanez rgr320ex (EMG 81/85)
ibanez grx20 (Super 3/PAF PRO)
ibanez gsr205 bass
randall rh150 head
avatar 2x12 contemporary cab (GK-100's)
boss GT8
ibanez weeping demon wah
line 6 ux1
Quote by korn56
so the contemporary wouldn't add more bass than the traditional because is beefier?

i would prefer the traditional because i know is lighter than the contemporary (i'm a lazy guy), and the traditional looks like a fender cab so obviously dont want a fender tone for metal

Maybe a tad bit more bass, because of the weight... But I'd be willing to bet its negligible at least for human ears. The Fender looks of the cab have nothing to do with the tone, though... My Avatar has V30s in it, and though I use it with a Fender, if I put a 5150 or something on it, I guarantee it'd get as brootal as anything.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i like the classic the best lol
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by tubetime86
Maybe a tad bit more bass, because of the weight... But I'd be willing to bet its negligible at least for human ears. The Fender looks of the cab have nothing to do with the tone, though... My Avatar has V30s in it, and though I use it with a Fender, if I put a 5150 or something on it, I guarantee it'd get as brootal as anything.

+1

I have Celestions in mine too (obviously) and with the closed backs it will be far from a 'Fender' type tone.

If someone wanted more of the open, chimey feel for something like a Twin, then the open back Vintage cab would be the way to go.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

I have Celestions in mine too (obviously) and with the closed backs it will be far from a 'Fender' type tone.

If someone wanted more of the open, chimey feel for something like a Twin, then the open back Vintage cab would be the way to go.

Worth noting they now have convertible backs so you can interchange...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
classic 412 ftw
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^Thanks, I was just going to Edit that the Traditional cabs can be had in Open back as well, and yes the convertible option seems cool, but I wonder about the 'stability' or 'rigidity' of those.

I would think its all about how much you switch... If you go months with it one way then switch for a few months etc. I'm sure you're fine. If you want to switch mid-gig 3 nights a week, not so much.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!